Thread: barn find

Post Thanks / Like

barn find

Last edited by Hvp2518; 06-23-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Pics
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    not helping you here, but a lot of those guys will sell there wife before there baby, good luck, dosent actually look to bad.
    Thanks gdafoe thanked for this post
    Likes ak49flyer, soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    not helping you here, but a lot of those guys will sell there wife before there baby, good luck, dosent actually look to bad.
    Agreed, you might want to tread lightly. You may not get the reception you are hoping for and the owner may be just fine with things how they are. I bought a similar situation PA-12 after 15 years of casual contact, was one of my biggest mistakes. Should have gone out and bought a flying plane and been done with it. The worst part is that I absolutely know better, advise customers to do the same but got caught up in the hunt.
    But then you never know.....

Ken
    Thanks gisli thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    and remember theres a 1000 other people that have did just what you did, there is no such thing as a barn find. if its sold and might be, it will be sold on attitude and emotion that day. and like above you never know.
    Likes ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am one who gets excited about barn finds. I bought a Stinson SR on floats once which was a barn find, after it's owner took a pistol to his head while drunk. This Cub needs caution since there is evidence it has been a crop sprayer. The chemicals can absolutely destroy the fuselage tubing, when from the outside it looks like a $million. Yes Lycomings have a reputation for rusty cams and cylinders when not used for a long time. That depends on the environment in which it has been stored. This one may be great or it may be junk. In any case depending on how much labor you can contribute to it, plan on spending at least another $50k for repairs. If you can do it for less, you win.
    N1PA
    Likes Steve Pierce, toklat$1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Since it was a sprayer, maybe the smell of 2-4D and parathion kept the mice out.
    Not likely, though.
    The mice will ruin an airframe faster than the spray.
    Ask me how I know
    If you don't want the auto flagger and the tank....
    Likes LMartin, 12Geezer2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy it for whatever you think the paperwork and reusable parts are worth. I couldn't in good conscience, rebuild that plane with the original fuselage if it had been sprayed with. If he would take 20-25k for it, you might come out all right on the deal. Just figure on a new fuselage and engine overhaul when you're calculating its worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to point out that it appears to be in standing water (note the reflections on the 'floor') Just something else to consider when it comes to corrosion.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get to check it out in person, be sure to check for cutter bees as well as mice. They'll get into the tailfeathers and wings through the drain holes and pack leaves into the trailing edges. The leaves are an excellent place to hold moisture, causing corrosion. If you see little pieces of what looks like sawdust in the drain holes, you can adsume there will be some corrosion to some degree. You can also hear the leaves crunching if you pinch the fabric just forward of the trailing edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 1975 cub sat outside nearby for nearly three decades and unflown for more than two decades the opening phoned in bid from offsite was $50,000 and ended at $89,500. It also came with a Sorenson tank. Keith Talbot was the auctioneer at that sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex Generator View Post
    A 1975 cub sat outside nearby for nearly three decades and unflown for more than two decades the opening phoned in bid from offsite was $50,000 and ended at $89,500. It also came with a Sorenson tank. Keith Talbot was the auctioneer at that sale.
    That doesn't mean the buyer got a good deal nor that the airplane was any good. Auctions frequently gather more than an item is really worth.
    N1PA
    Likes mixer, 1934A, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a cool find. I like barn finds and have pulled many cars out for restoration. It is NOT the financially smart way to do it but I always figured I'm going to want to replace everything anyway so why start with something that's just lipstick on a pig. That project is going to need everything and I wouldn't want to give more than 15 or 20 thousand for it depending on the engine and paperwork. Although I see you deleted the question so maybe you already figured it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex Generator View Post
    Where was this plane, and when did the auctiin take place? Sounds like someone had more money then sense!
    Likes ak49flyer liked this post