• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

An explaiation

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
When I started the thread about fuel prices I had no agenda. But I also didn’t give any background for my statement that I “can’t justify it anymore “ I agree with EVERYONE who commented. Sorry it went off the rails at the end.

My real issue is the broader one of struggling with deciding if this is the time to pack it all in and that shocking fuel price pushed me to the brink. I have an ad for my 170B composed with pictures on Barnstormers but I haven’t quite been able to pull the trigger. I’ve been flying for 54 years, but not as my job. I did instruct for a few years after I retired from my real job. I have owned 7 or 8 airplanes and flown a lot more. I’m 76, still in decent health but the expenses are becoming unjustifiable at this point. I know when everyone tells me I’ll be lost without an airplane, they are probably correct but there’s only so many dollars to go around and this sounds like the right time to sell. By the looks of Barnstomers I’m not the only one thinking this.

I’m not looking for sympathy or advice. If I was giving me advice I could argue effectively on either side. There are other factors too. It’s just not fun anymore. GA is dead on Long Island. There are fewer and fewer mechanics around and of those only two I trust. One is older than me and the other is 65 and in the hospital.

So, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I’m just not sure how it ends.

Rich

I'm thinking along the same lines, but not because of fuel costs. I bought a bunch a couple of years ago, enough to last me five more years. But do I want to fly until I'm 80? That's the question.

Insurance got to the point last year that I couldn't afford hull. Even liability here is $1,500, where I fly exclusively with my wife and it's almost impossible to destroy anyone's property on the ground.

So, do I fly until I have an accident in the middle of nowhere and the airplane is a total loss, or do I sell now while I can still get a few bucks for my airplane?

I'd miss flying, of course. More than that, I would miss the places that the airplane can take us. Mind you, we can charter a turbine Otter (twice a year), for about the same cost as ownership of the PA-12.

Thinking along the same lines for some time now guys. At 75 yrs. how much longer can it last. LOL!!! Just bough a new 0360 to put in the crow. Probably shouldn't have but I always wanted to see how it would work. Maybe it will be for a short time, but it will increase the value a little too. If I don't do it now " it ain't happening". Hate seeing it come to a close but we always knew it had to some day.

Rich.......
Yeah, you can argue both sides. I'm your age, good health. Also been flying for 54 years. Instructed for some time too. BUT..........I live in South Dakota thank God.
Prices are really good now...........never thought my cub would be worth so much. Aging causes my mind to think like you even though I've said my cub will be in the hangar
after I'm in the ground..........and it might be. There's no right or wrong decision.........make one and stick with it........the roads out here are peppered with dead squirrels
that couldn't decide.
Good luck on whatever............the memories never go away !
DD

Rich, your not done, I'm still waiting for you to land at my place for a swim

Glenn

Last edited:
81 here. Sorry I pissed somebody off - it was just an opinion. 14 landings today - I plan to fly until my friends cannot get me in there any more. No problem so far getting in and out of the little Cubs or the Stearman, but getting in Gary's 31" Super Cub is a minor struggle -
My goal is 91 - that's when our leases expire with no agreement for renewal.

Avemco is hitting me with an increase this year - but it is scheduled. I think it is 10% at 81. I will probably have to give up tailwheel training, except in the Stearman, due to insurance hassles. Fuel is still handleable.

Everyone knows and sets their own limits. Only they know what they are, but when that time comes there will be no question in that person's mind that the time is right. For me at age 81, I sold my precious 185 and have settled on an EAB -18 on floats. Cut way back on the FAA oversight and have permanently eliminated airports. Only fly during the week when there are fewer mid-air collision risks and pick the weather for launching and retrieving the plane. I'm planning on a 100th birthday flight. Until then they'll have to pry the stick from my cold dead hands. Yes the fuel price has increased from the $0.38 it was when I started, but it is what it is. I'll be using the money I got from selling the 185 to fill the Cub's gas tank.

Good luck Rich, it's been quite a ride. You'll make the correct decision for you.

I turned 81 at 0215 this morning. Born in a ramshackle house with no electricity or running water on the banks of a bayou in Louisiana. Attended by a black midwife. I managed to get thru college without incurring debt. I got Naval Aviator wings only because the USMC needed cannon fodder for Vietnam. So I've been flying now for 58 years, never bent an airplane, and most of the fuel cost has come out of someone else's pocket. But I will fly my Cub until my Basic Med expires, regardless of fuel or insurance cost.

It's been a great run. 16 years flying fighters (F8 & F4), 21 years flying B737's, 18 years in a Citation, and the last 3 in just the SC. I've been to Nome for the Iditarod 3 times on skis and camped out in 37 below temp at Serpentine Hot Springs. I've floated the Yukon river from Carcross to Emmonak and climbed Kilamanjaro. Landed on Iwo Jima island in a typhoon.

This is way too much information. I've always looked at life as a continuing adventure. I would rather spend the money on something I love as opposed to collecting material goods.

My only regret in this entire endeavor is that I did not get an A&P. I love working on airplanes.

Everyone knows and sets their own limits. Only they know what they are, but when that time comes there will be no question in that person's mind that the time is right. For me at age 81, I sold my precious 185 and have settled on an EAB -18 on floats. Cut way back on the FAA oversight and have permanently eliminated airports. Only fly during the week when there are fewer mid-air collision risks and pick the weather for launching and retrieving the plane. I'm planning on a 100th birthday flight. Until then they'll have to pry the stick from my cold dead hands. Yes the fuel price has increased from the $0.38 it was when I started, but it is what it is. I'll be using the money I got from selling the 185 to fill the Cub's gas tank.

Good luck Rich, it's been quite a ride. You'll make the correct decision for you.

I’m jealous. I’d like to eliminate any of my faa oversight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m jealous. I’d like to eliminate any of my faa oversight.

Come to God's country and I can help you with that !

Willie

What a tremendous career. If you wrote a book, I’d be first in line to buy it. I’m impressed with the group of folks on this site. Thanks for posting that.

Not wanting to be a “dead squirrel “ who couldn’t make decision as described by Cubdrvr, I’ve decided not to sell now. Thanks for that graphic comparison, I’ve seen a few dead squirrels on the road since I started this thread and they served to remind me of all the great response on this thread.

Additionally, my worries about money in the future reminded me of a guy I worked with in 1968, Mike Walsh, who put it all in perspective when he said: “We are so poor the baby has to sleep in the box the color tv came in.” He clearly had his priorities in order. :)

Rich

I’ve read many posts by Rich, Peter, Cubdrvr, Bob, Willie, Supercrow and Nunavut. Just assumed you were roughly my age. Had no idea you fellows were ask old as you claim to be. I need to hurry up and retire so I can come meet each of you!

If I had to make a short list of things I'm really glad I did, starting this website would definitely be near the top. Getting to know - sometimes only virtually - so many of you continues to be the greatest gift.

Rich, I love the color TV line - however, It would have to be a very small baby to sleep in the box the iPad came in... :)

sj

Remember that gasoline is still the cheapest part of airplane ownership.

When I bought my Beaver in ‘92 for $100,000 avgas was around $1/gal. When I sold it in ‘05 for $425,000 avgas was over a little over $4/gal. The fourfold increase in fuel prices pretty much matched the increase in the airplane’s value. I considered both fair and reasonable.

Keep flying as long as you can!!! Flying adventures/memories are priceless and well worth the cost to create them.

Back