Thread: 31 inch bush wheels - experimental?

Post Thanks / Like

31 inch bush wheels - experimental?

Hey all,

Purchased a nice set of near new second hand 31’s this week for what seems to be a good deal.

haven’t got my hands on them yet - they’re at my brothers place - and he tells me that they’re marked ‘experimental’ somewhere on the tyre. Apparently the ones on his own cub are not. The ones I purchased are apparently only 2-3 years old. Just wondering if someone can shed some light on this for me? Could it possibly be due to them being the extra tread version? It’s not a problem as my cub is going to be experimental anyways so just asking out of interest.

happy cub’n!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suspect that cords are showing and someone wrote experimental on the side as a CYA move. I have not heard of Airframes making a experimental 31 in tire. You can call Gabe at Airframes and ask. Do you have pictures and serial numbers of the tires?
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard of Experimental being part of the label. Some tires were produced prior to having a TSO or PMA approval but the absence of the approval was all that mattered, or so I thought. But I don’t know squat.
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    I would suspect that cords are showing and someone wrote experimental on the side as a CYA move. I have not heard of Airframes making a experimental 31 in tire. You can call Gabe at Airframes and ask. Do you have pictures and serial numbers of the tires?
    DENNY
    G’day Denny,

apparently the tyres are in very good condition - only 100 or so hours old and 5-6 tarmac landings maximum. I have some photos and one shows a serial number that I think I can make out right. If I am right it’s 13020177. The 3 may be an 8 though - it’s hard to tell.
    I’ll see if I can work out how to add a photo on here. Cheers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DA385BD-A3E8-430C-AD59-25B16A1909C5.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	61469
    i don’t have a photo of the experimental marking - Should be able to get on in a couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like
    First two digits of the serial number is year of manufacture.

I believe Gabe left Airframes for greener pastures. I saw him at the tradeshow with a group reviving the Helio.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    “Gabe” or “Abe”? Abe is with the Helio outfit last I heard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered parts from Gabe last week at Airframes.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I ordered parts from Gabe last week at Airframes.
    George might have had his Kilt on backwards yesterday

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Eddie Foy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skukum12 View Post

I believe Gabe left Airframes for greener pastures. I saw him at the tradeshow with a group reviving the Helio.
    Yea, that was Abraham. He and the Alaskan that was with Beringer have been working on that just after Oshkosh 2019.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, shows what I know! I stand corrected.
    "Always looking up"
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skukum12 View Post

Nope, I'm still working at Airframes. The Helio boys are good friends and we fly together but you are probably thinking of Abe.

There are absolutely Bushwheels out there that are experimental and we will grind off the TSO number and stamp over it "EXPERIMENTAL" and sell them at a discounted price. These tires are most commonly an overbalance issue which is where the tire took more than the max allowable amount of lead backed patch in the core to get it to balance. There's a limit of 4oz if I recall and more than that would be outside of our quality manual. These tires are usually not even blemished, just overbalanced so they're in good shape compared to a blemish tire.

Here's a helpful guide for figuring out the dates on Bushwheels: http://www.airframesalaska.com/v/vsp...0Checklist.pdf
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there ya go. The tires look nice. If they pulled the rims out make sure they don't try to add air without the rims in. Once I saw the pimped out letters I knew Gabe would have the answer.
    DENNY
    Thanks Crash, Jr. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Only have a couple more FAA guys to pay off, and I think I’ll have enough of them on my side to get an AD out against those lettering kits. Gabe is an alright guy, but I can’t forgive him for selling/promoting the letters...
    Likes DENNY, hotrod180, Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your help guys, it’s good to know what the deal is with them.

If you’re looking for someone to blame for those coloured letters I’m pretty sure my brother Ryan is to blame. He painted his in with white paint pen a few years back at an annual and he and a mate stuck in on their instagrams… They swear they’d never seen it done before and it seemed to take off not long after.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been doing those damn colored letters for 5 years now. I was a huge hater at first but after putting them on the cub I have to admit they kind of add a little sumthin to the look. Denny we're going to have to get some on your new plane so you can fit in with the cool guys at birchwood. Even the Helio has them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tire lettering goes back a clean Century - Firestone. I'm waiting for Bushwheels with whitewalls and chrome hubcaps with brush cutter blades.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, my old man produced a few pairs with genuine raised white lettering. They tended to yellow over time and there wasn't enough interest to keep making them.
    "Always looking up"