• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Toothpick Trick For Bass

flagold

Abbeville, Alabama
<span style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 16px; font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
[FONT=&quot]

I don't see this much in the way we used to do it (shown) with oil. We used to simply toss it out in front of the cattails or weeds or off the bank and wait if we had water movement. Otherwise reel it like any other worm. I tossed one I made for the video off the bank after making the video and got one (below) on the first cast so it still works fine. Probably works better with some of the attractants they have now (I haven't used this since the 70's - we always used minnow oil).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Good luck with your fishing.

[/FONT]
IMG_2575.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 112
now invent something that makes the tail shake a little.

Wish I could figure that one out, but it'll do a pretty good job as long as a paddle tail is used. The one above I tossed out, waited for it to hit bottom, waited a few seconds and made a crank, waited a few seconds and made a crank and it hit (counted to 10 & set the hook). It kind of just does it's own thing thankfully.

How about just a real worm or nightcrawler? We used to water the yard just before dark and they'd crawl out later to get a breath.

Gary

How about just a real worm or nightcrawler? We used to water the yard just before dark and they'd crawl out later to get a breath.

Gary

I don't know what the other guys will say but I have no problem with that plan. Live bait still rules most places I know of.

Those "rubber" worms or leeches do work when ice fishing. White is visible and a coating or injection of fish oil - WD40 - anise oil or similar seems to help when jigging the lure. A small syringe with the attractant helps get them smelly. Here's another commercial product: https://www.baitcloud.com

Gary

Those "rubber" worms or leeches do work when ice fishing. White is visible and a coating or injection of fish oil - WD40 - anise oil or similar seems to help when jigging the lure. A small syringe with the attractant helps get them smelly. Here's another commercial product: https://www.baitcloud.com

Gary

Didn't know about the WD40 . . . (and we don't do ice fishing either). That attractant was interesting. We have rows of attractants on the shelves (I'm in bass heaven - one of the premier bass tourney lakes (reservoir the size of Sea of Galilee - Walter F. George) - the local town Eufaula rings up over $20 million from the bass tourneys alone) here. I still have a few gallons of menhaden oil from my commercial days and that's what we had (all we had) when I was a kid - so I still use it (obviously still effective). I use it for my fish attractor stuff too and it works on the speckled perch (crappie) great. We can hold them under the dock year round but they get mushy in summer heat.

Gary
If you’re releasing them, artificial bait is supposedly better because they’re less likely to swallow the hook, resulting in fewer dead fish.

Good point about the deep hooking and fishing mortality. Gills and hooks don't get along well. No Bass here (and nearest Walleye is NW Canada). I try to use a barbless hook for our Alaskan species that makes it easier to release with needle nose pliers. Pike will just open their large mouth and gills to suck in the lure. Sheefish will take several bites or nibbles.

I'm going to stock up on those plastic worms. The last batch somehow turned to glue in my tackle box.

Gary

If you’re releasing them, artificial bait is supposedly better because they’re less likely to swallow the hook, resulting in fewer dead fish.

That's not only true - but they're not legal in tournaments at all and that's what everything is geared for here. Pure artificial world unless fishing for meat.

In other news: some bass boats have now topped $100K . . . (excuse me while I go out and hug my 1994 Whaler)

[h=2]Bass boats for sale - Boat Trader[/h]https://www.boattrader.com › boats › type-power › class-power-bass

• Offer Count: 3K

• Price Range: $5,497 - $101,260

I'd build a worm bed box. Add worms and artificial bait buried in the soil and feed them. Let the live ones add scent to the artificials. Might work better.

Gary

I'd build a worm bed box. Add worms and artificial bait buried in the soil and feed them. Let the live ones add scent to the artificials. Might work better.

Gary

This I think would be a good idea. There are very few "worm" based scent oils for artificial that are actually worm based. Most everything, when you start reading the ingredients (if they have them - many hide under "spices" and the like) are actually good old menhaden oil . . . You can buy (real) crawfish oil but there are very few straight oils I know of.

th-5.jpeg
Scents are not inexpensive either: 2 oz is a cool $10 bill and may not have any worm in it at all - you never know for sure.

Attachments

• th-5.jpeg
    th-5.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 394
Back