• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Yellowstone roads

Gardiner, at the north entrance to the park, is now isolated, since portions of highway 191 north of Gardiner washed out. Park is “evaluating” the old gravel road between Gardiner and Mammoth to see if that can be used. Road between Mammoth and Norris may be open.

Major flood damage in Red Lodge. Bear tooth got a couple feet of snow over the last few weeks, and a couple inches of rain in the last few days.

It’s going to be a while before access to Gardiner and the Park is re established. County put out a “Do not use” order for water in Gardiner. As in don’t use it for anything, even after boiling. Sewer lines from Mammoth and Gardiner were breached.

The Yellowstone River at Corwin Springs, just north of Gardiner, was flowing at 49,200 cubic feet per second yesterday. Previous record was set in 1918, at 30,000 CFS. Huge water, and lots of damage.

If weather improves soon, an airlift may be needed for Gardiner.

MTV

Just saw tv footage of a house getting washed off the bank, and down the river it went.
Wow...mother nature is very impressive when she's pissed off.

Saw that iron bridge get washed out on the Yellowstone, wow. The strip at Gardner will come in handy it sounds like.

if ever building by a river, it looks like its a lot better being on the inside of the curve than the outside.

Keep the noise of airplanes and helicopters out of the park….. Um, well, we need you to come and save us now. Ironic how that works. I hope for all the best for the people who are dealing with this. God Bess the helicopter hero’s!

Brought some people and supplies into Gardiner this morning in the PC12, and took some stranded folks out. Sounds like the response is ramping up fast to get ground access restored. The damage is unbelievable. The locals are resourceful.

Yellowstone National Park damaged by record flooding, dangerous rockslides:

MTV

Nature isn't damaging nature, its only changing it, like its done for thousands of years.
It isn't "climate change" crap either. That's how it got there in the first place.

This ain't Kansas Toto !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nature isn't damaging nature, its only changing it, like its done for thousands of years.
It isn't "climate change" crap either. That's how it got there in the first place.

This ain't Kansas Toto !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, you will note that I was pointing out that the PARK was damaged, as in the man made infrastructure, NOT the “country”, which is, as you point out, just fine.

In fact, the critters are going to enjoy a welcome break from all the tourists.

;-)

MTV

Update on Yellowstone area impacts, 6.14.22, WyoFile:

https://wyofile.com/yellowstone-evacuees-flood-gateway-towns-make-do/

Sounds like West Yellowstone is slammed for now, but no mention of the Airport in article.

Thanks. Curt

Curt,

There was no flooding in West Yellowstone....the airport is fine. I suspect if you wanted a hotel room over the next few days, that might be problematic, but the campground is there and should be fine. Friday is forecasted to be HOT. Will be quite a change from the last few weeks if so.

MTV

At the I-15/I-86 junction today, I noticed the state hwy. dept. digital billboard was flashing "YELLOWSTONE CLOSED." Don't see that every day. Though there is nothing funny at all about this situation, I couldn't help but think about the Griswald family, Wally World, and John Candy. I turned on the house AC for the first time last week, had the heat back on the last few days...anyone camping out at JC, be ready for anything.

Just spent a little over a week helping out in a backcountry camp. Will be back for early season Elk hunts in a couple weeks. Here is a pic from Yankee Jim Canyon. The canoe is across the river and I estimate 3 feet above the road I was standing on at the time. Major changes in that country for sure backcountry also suffered from the flood. Image1661738968.708826.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1661738968.708826.jpg
    Image1661738968.708826.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 102
Back