• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NX Cub Sighting today

I tired to influence the powers that be to get one of the certified NXcubs here to give backcountry experience training in. It really gives you that cub feel with a super easy landing. I think it could be a pretty good trainer.

sj

They could have done it in less time had they not taken the wheels off the gear and then reinstalled them. Unless they did something off screen which I did not see?

Steve, I'm curious about the main landing gear structure in the fuselage. There must be a considerable change from a standard Cub. The gear legs appear to be swept back a bit. Is it possible to swap the left and right legs, sweeping them forward and then adding a tailwheel? Or would it be a much bigger job to convert it?

It is a trivial conversion. The main gear is a one piece spring. To convert to tail wheel the spring is rotated left to right so it sweeps forward and moved to the existing forward attach points. The nose gear is removed and the hole covered with a fairing.

After conversion to tail wheel configuration you end up with an aircraft that is very similar to the type certificated XCub.

It may be noteworthy that some, perhaps all, EAB factory assist XCubs are being built with conventional Cub gear not the leaf spring gear. I don't think that option is available for the type certificated XCub.

After conversion to tail wheel configuration you end up with an aircraft that is very similar to the type certificated XCub.

It may be noteworthy that some, perhaps all, EAB factory assist XCubs are being built with conventional Cub gear not the leaf spring gear. I don't think that option is available for the type certificated XCub.
Are you sure, out of all the X Cubs I have worked on and been around I only remember one with conventional tubing style gear, all the others have spring gear.

Are you sure, out of all the X Cubs I have worked on and been around I only remember one with conventional tubing style gear, all the others have spring gear.

Certainly some EAB XCubs have tube Cub style gear. I have no information on what percentage. Are the XCubs you are familiar with EAB or standard airworthiness?

I had thought that the spring gear was a sure method of identifying an XCub but found out it wasn't.

The X Cubs I deal with are certified part 23. I don't know why anyone would buy an EAB X Cub when the can buy an FX3.

They could have done it in less time had they not taken the wheels off the gear and then reinstalled them. Unless they did something off screen which I did not see?

Didn't the tires get bigger? I have a vague recollection that the NX is limited to maximum size of 26 inch ABW.

That is called marketing. My Dad was an engineer at Cummins. They would change a manufacturing process and the marketing department would spin it into a product improvement. Engineers and marketing people are cut from different cloth for sure. :lol:

Don't they do that with software?
"That's not a glitch-- it's a feature".

LOL, after flying them I wouldn't hesitate to take one home. Probably sell it pretty quick and buy several other airplanes with the proceeds but I ain't skeered to be seen in it.
View attachment 61420

View attachment 61421

View attachment 61422

View attachment 61423

View attachment 61424

View attachment 61425

“But it’s a nosewheel”-Lee that time he was excited to see a twin beech, and then when it touched down he saw the wheel in the wrong spot. Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“But it’s a nosewheel”-Lee that time he was excited to see a twin beech, and then when it touched down he saw the wheel in the wrong spot. Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or when I sent Cathy to pick up a part and he wouldn't go because she was flying the Tri-Pacer.

Supposedly they would have to beef up the FX3 so much for the 393 that it would weigh what an X Cub weighs. FX3 and big engine X Cub have the same power to weight.

Is that at max gross or at more typical solo operating weights?

A big engine XCub with Cub gear, 35 inch ABW, and a BBW, landed and parked next to me back in January at my favorite dirt strip. I have to say my FX-3 looked quite "girly" when parked next to it. I consoled myself with the thought that I probably was having about the same amount of fun for about $100k less expenditure. I don't really want to drag 35 inch Bushwheels through the air anyway.

I was impressed by its downhill landing distance and the takeoff distance. Quite likely a better pilot than me but I'm quite confident his solo power to weight was better than mine.

Back