Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Fatboy Experimental

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fatboy Experimental

    Fatboy Cub

    Meet the team,

    Eric Lewis (lewaero works). Eric has built several planes that are recognizable such as the twin cub or double ender, and the Ascender. Lewaero works also makes carbon fiber pods for carbon cubs both fuel and cargo versions. Cubcrafter buys our pods when a customer orders one through them.

    Chris Reese is a CFI that is passionate about aviation and wants people to be better pilots. He is currently a pilot for Ericson in the Casa 212 moving cargo or parajumpers. He is also a CFI and tailwheel instructor when he is not flying for Ericson.

    Josh Peterson is a CFI and tailwheel instructor that wants to keep stick and rudder flying alive in the upcoming generations of pilots. Josh is new to aviation building but has a lot of experience building race trucks. He is a shop aid for Lewaero works when he is not instructing.

    The premise behind Fatboy

    When looking for planes that can fit bigger and taller guys we really didn’t have an option in the cub market. That is when we set out to make something that will have all the cub performance but be able to fit a 6’6” pilot with a helmet. The design is based on a cub but several modifications are made to make it fit our mission. The fuselege is hand built in the shop extended 18.25” widened 4” and the roof was raised 2” and was design with Alaska flying in mind. All super cub Alaska mods taken into account while designing the fuselage and are built in.
    Some spec for Fatboy

    · Engine O-360-C2P 180hp
    · Prop Still researching
    · 3” extended Gear 1.5” axles
    · 35” Bushwheels
    · Baby bush tailwheel
    · Acme Shocks
    · Custom Carbon floor boards
    · Custom Seats
    · Single Controls
    · Massive cargo door
    · Angle of incidence change
    · Javeron wing kit
    · keller flaps 50/50 split with ailerons
    · Custom carbon fiber leading edge droop cuff
    · Gross weight will be 2300lbs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatboy design.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	61322
    Fatboy designin software

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window start.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	61323
    Window start


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	longerons .jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	61324
    Longerons Start

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top view squaring.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	61325

    Starting to Square the fuselage

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foot well.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	61326

    We widened the foot well for more leg room
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cargo door.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	61327


    Our custom cargo door that fits a 85qt cooler in no problem!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom landing gear fixture.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	367.4 KB 
ID:	61328

    We made a landing gear fixture to make sure we are square

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back view tailwheel .jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	61329

    Here is the view from the back with a tailwheel mounted

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear test fit.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	61330

    Gear test fit nice and strait and parallel with each other

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wing and strut test fit.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	581.7 KB 
ID:	61331

    Wing test fit and strut length sizing

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wing test fit back.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	61332

    Back view with some shop tail surfaces and wings mounted

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sitting size check.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	569.8 KB 
ID:	61333

    Sit test with Josh in it he is 6'6" 260 on a stock cub seat.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor prototype.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	61334

    Floor prototype 300lbs test and only weighs 8oz per sqft

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel pod .jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	61335

    Here is one of our fuel pods that we make in house.
    Last edited by KindaSuper; 06-03-2022 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Picture didn't load
    Likes 40m, WWhunter, mixer, Narwhal, silflexer and 4 others liked this post

  2. #2
    skukum12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Last Frontier
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'8' and 270 lbs. Good on you guys for helping out us guys that don't fit the standards of the 180 lb pilot. Leg room is what I have always wanted. I could roll the seat so far back in my 180 that I couldn't reach the pedals. Moving pilot seats back in Cubs isn't much of an option. What about putting pockets in the floor boards and the firewall?
    "Always looking up"

  3. #3
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, drop by and try my Rev on for size. Very roomy in width and height.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skukum12 View Post
    I am 6'8' and 270 lbs. Good on you guys for helping out us guys that don't fit the standards of the 180 lb pilot. Leg room is what I have always wanted. I could roll the seat so far back in my 180 that I couldn't reach the pedals. Moving pilot seats back in Cubs isn't much of an option. What about putting pockets in the floor boards and the firewall?
    We were initially thinking about doing the heel drops like in a husky but we went with making the foot well wider and longer. The panel will be well out of the way for our knees not to knock on it. The seat will be lowered an inch and moved back from a stock cub to allow for more leg and head room.
    Likes EdH, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  5. #5
    skukum12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Last Frontier
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Joe, drop by and try my Rev on for size. Very roomy in width and height.
    Don't threaten me with a good time! I have been wanting to see your plane up close for a while now. I shall pm you when I get a few more ducks in a row.
    "Always looking up"
    Likes C130jake liked this post

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update

    We have the tail feathers on and somewhat rig to test our electric trim design out. It runs nice and smooth for the full throw of the jackscrew and the motor will be out of the way of all the cabling.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electric trim prototype.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	61399
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy tail 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	61396

    These are the Javron square tail set

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy tail washer_bushing 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	61397
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy tail washer_bushing.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	61398

    These hat bushing are made in house that allow the wire to turn even when the bolt is tight.
    Likes hatz215, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  7. #7
    behindpropellers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    7,046
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KindaSuper View Post
    Update

    We have the tail feathers on and somewhat rig to test our electric trim design out. It runs nice and smooth for the full throw of the jackscrew and the motor will be out of the way of all the cabling.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electric trim prototype.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	61399
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy tail 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	368.7 KB 
ID:	61396

    These are the Javron square tail set

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy tail washer_bushing 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	61397
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy tail washer_bushing.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	61398

    These hat bushing are made in house that allow the wire to turn even when the bolt is tight.
    Those gears and chain are heavy, use a belt and aluminum sprockets.

  8. #8
    Crash, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    918
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat looking build!

    Just want to mention the normal bushings for the flying wires don't have any issues turning when the bolt is appropriately tight. The bushings are intentionally slightly longer than the bores they go into so as to hold the head of the bolt away from the flying wire bracket and allow them to turn freely. Of course if you ham fist the bolts and over-tighten them you can smash the bushing and cause it to bind.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crash Jr all the cubs we have seen the washers/bushing for the flying wires have been crushed or missing. We are fortunate to have a CNC lath in the shop and made these to take the headache from loosing them or crushing them out.

    Behindpropellers We looked at the weight of cables vs the motor and chain and there isn't much difference between them. we are looking at maybe making the sprockets out of titanium but we don't think we need it.
    Likes Crash, Jr., Brandsman liked this post

  10. #10
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    4,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KindaSuper View Post
    Behindpropellers We looked at the weight of cables vs the motor and chain and there isn't much difference between them. we are looking at maybe making the sprockets out of titanium but we don't think we need it.
    How about direct drive. Eliminate chains and sprockets all together.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    How about direct drive. Eliminate chains and sprockets all together.

    Web
    We looked at that but wanted the motor out of the way of any cables running to the tail feather. If it was a direct drive the motor would sit right in the way of the cables.

    -kindasuper

  12. #12
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big boy Cubs have pros and cons. With slats and Pstol flaps you’ll quickly appreciate electric trim. My linear actuator works great, by the way. No interference.

    You’ll wish for more power.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C7F6A67-B3D2-46F3-839D-9C5388886CF1.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	61401  
    Likes KindaSuper, Olibuilt liked this post

  13. #13
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    21,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think a trim cable, handles and aluminum pullies weigh much at all opposed to a motor, chain, sprockets and that steel plate. Do you have a weight comparison?
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  14. #14
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    My extended airframe-slats-big Pstol flaps Cub requires using the full range of trim on every flight. Electric trim is an important addition regardless of weight. To have the ounces add up to pounds conversation in this case is secondary to benefit of the system. That said, I doubt Super’s system adds much if any weight. It may redistribute a few ounces aft of a stock system but that’s actually a benefit. How it compares to an actuator system weight is probably unimportant, too. If it works, it’s a worthwhile mod.

    It appears the sprockets provide a 1:1 drive ratio. If so, why not make a shaft coupler and do direct drive? Alas, there are lots of ways to build it. God bless experimental aviation!
    Last edited by stewartb; 06-11-2022 at 07:09 AM.
    Likes Southern Aero, EODprice liked this post

  15. #15
    Formandfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weight is the enemy and creativity is heavy.

  16. #16
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kindasuper, have you done any actual testing of your tail section’s flex at full weight? I’m curious about how you chose your baggage door size, too.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I don't think a trim cable, handles and aluminum pullies weigh much at all opposed to a motor, chain, sprockets and that steel plate. Do you have a weight comparison?
    its a 2 oz. difference between the stock cable system and the electric system we have. yes the electric system is slightly heavier but we also have more trim range then a cub currently sitting at 5 degrees tail up 4 degrees tail down.

    -kindasuper

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Kindasuper, have you done any actual testing of your tail section’s flex at full weight? I’m curious about how you chose your baggage door size, too.
    We have not done a flex test on the tail yet. For the baggage door we wanted something that would fit an 85 qt cooler for camping. we also wanted something big enough we can fit through for sleeping in the back. the tube structure of the door came from another project we work on call The Ascender you can see pictures on bushplanedesign.com.

    For the drive gears we are sitting at a 1.8:1 with a motor rpm of 25 which is plenty fast. we can go throught the full jackscrew bottom to top in 45 secs.

  19. #19
    Olibuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting 45 secs between every landing and takeoff would get on my nerves. Would have to time mine, but about 10 secs per travel.

    Awesome built, keep us posted!!


    Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant SuperCub.Org

  20. #20
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Cub has the upper longeron on top, too. With a simulated load of a tail hit with a load my uppers bow, and with mine they bow downward. Being covered that’s the path of least resistance, I guess. I can add some clamp-in vertical tubes to limit the flex but I haven’t needed to yet.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Olibuilt we can put a faster motor (50rpm) in if we want but would like to test fly it first to see if that is what we want plus don't mind waiting a bit anyways it because more time in a plane the more fun I'm having.

    Stewartb Our triangulation spacing is tighter then a standard cub which theoretically allow us to have a heavier load before we get bowing. we also went a tube size up to the triangles and them them being closer that should also put a stop to bowing under heavy load.

  22. #22
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should consider a Safety Trim. Timeout protection and two speeds selectable from the panel. I use full nose down trim for takeoff. I’m on the trim switch as soon as the tires lift off. The fast setting works best until making fine adjustments in cruise. My full range takes <20 seconds. Not picking on your plan, just sharing what mine does.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    You should consider a Safety Trim. Timeout protection and two speeds selectable from the panel. I use full nose down trim for takeoff. I’m on the trim switch as soon as the tires lift off. The fast setting works best until making fine adjustments in cruise. My full range takes <20 seconds. Not picking on your plan, just sharing what mine does.
    Any advice I can get I will take! I can defiantly wire a 2 speed switch into the panel no problem thanks for the idea! We do have 2 degrees more trim up and down then a standard cub trim so we are expecting it to take longer for the throw. We will be putting limit switches in and I can run a timeout protection never thought about that!

    -Josh

  24. #24
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    21,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KindaSuper View Post
    its a 2 oz. difference between the stock cable system and the electric system we have. yes the electric system is slightly heavier but we also have more trim range then a cub currently sitting at 5 degrees tail up 4 degrees tail down.

    -kindasuper
    That isn't mush difference at all. I would have thought quite a bit more looking at the install. I guess I didn't think about stock jackscrew and yoke as well.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes KindaSuper, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  25. #25
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KindaSuper View Post
    Any advice I can get I will take! I can defiantly wire a 2 speed switch into the panel no problem thanks for the idea! We do have 2 degrees more trim up and down then a standard cub trim so we are expecting it to take longer for the throw. We will be putting limit switches in and I can run a timeout protection never thought about that!

    -Josh
    Finally back home and thought to check. My actuator runs my trim from up 4° to down 6°, so very similar to your plan. I’ve never heard owners of similar planes talk about trim range before now. Another data point for other guys to ponder.

Similar Threads

  1. New to me experimental Pa-11/18
    By firebird in forum Experimental Cubs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-11-2022, 08:01 AM
  2. Experimental air box
    By gntw in forum Experimental Cubs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2021, 12:48 PM
  3. experimental: SuperBear? experimental cub information wanted
    By RYAN_WINGS in forum Experimental Cubs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 03:12 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •