Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody have a Tcraft within driving distance of SW Montana?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    With STC SA1-210 installed (C-85+wing mods) the BC series Taylorcraft is eligible for a GW increase on conventional gear to either 1280#, or 1320# (still Sport Pilot legal with DER approval - ), or 1500# - same aircraft configuration. On floats GW is typically 1351# per TCDS or even more via STC's floats. EW on conventional gear is usually 800-850# and on floats about 900#.

Gary

I seam to change my mind on what I want about every week but at this point it seams to me that a tcraft f19 should check about as many boxes as can be checked with my current budget. O-200 powerplant, big ol wings, 1500 lb gross which should put useful load around 550-600 or so, + nice baggage compartment. Myself + instructor will be 375-400 + full fuel (150 lbs) should put me close to gross depending on the actual useful load.

I am realizing that many people view published gross as a guideline but as a new pilot, and flying at higher density altitudes in the mountains, I'd like to play it as safe as I can.
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes either a F-19 or earlier BC/BL/BF that's been upgraded via STC SA1-210 (https://dc65stc.blogspot.com/2018/12...explained.html) and STC SE00979AT (https://www.aircraftspecialties.aero/stc-kits/) would closely meet the same needs. Pre-WWII airframes had a mix of 1025 or 4130 tubing so were a bit lighter than those from post-War, like the 1500# GW Model 19 or later F-19-22 series.

One thing to consider in all this is parts availability as noted. The current Taylorcraft TCDS holder is a Ghost Corporation in my opinion, so no support there. These two owner/operator groups are all there are for help: https://www.facebook.com/groups/571231992887131/about/ or https://vb.taylorcraft.org so take that into consideration. Piper and Aeronca are better supported. Also serviceable engine parts for the small "A" through "O" Series Continentals are becoming scarce and tend to be backordered of new or reconditioned.

Gary
    Thanks Geewhiz thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit of an update for anybody who cares.

I effectively ruled out a taylorcraft today. I was able to find a heck of a nice gentleman who let me climb in his tcraft and get an impression. Pulled the plush seat cushions out which definitely gave more room. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of headroom I had along with decent visibility below the wing root. My problem was with leg room. I am 6’ 3” 200 lbs with a 34” waist and a 34” inseam. My knees were in the dash. If I had to climb in and fly it I could but not with much comfort. On to other options. Think I may pursue the champ at this point.

Just figured i’d Post this for anybody else in my same position.
    Thanks BC12D-4-85 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5'8+" and 14 Stone. I can get in and out of my Taylorcraft with seaplane doors easily. With standard doors I'd not bother. A skylight adds interior head room. Champs are nice to get in and out. Some have adjustable seats - fore and aft - and cushions can be sized to allow fit.

A local example Champ: https://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_T...Champ_7EC.html It's a nice airplane.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    G;

I am almost exactly your size ( slightly larger waist these days) and I owned a Champ back in the early 90's. I fit fine - and it was probably the most comfortable airplane I ever sat in. What a great airplane. I could do anything with that thing - well except go fast. But it was comfortable and fun. I'm sure the Citabria line is just as comfortable and probably more practical.
    Last edited by RedOwlAirfield; 06-19-2022 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Remove "quote" for format failure
    Thanks 62E thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw your PM and if you're still gonna be in the area, I do have a friend with a Champ here close.
    John