• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Some Details for the Super Cub Flyin June 16-19

robertc

FOUNDER
Idaho
A few details for those of you planing on attending the Super Cub Flyin just three weeks away. (1) This flyin is not sponsored by Supercub.org, Lou and I are just using the site as an organizational tool. We have enjoyed the event in the past and we desire to keep the weekend available for the group to enjoy the Idaho backcountry. (2) If you are coming, please let us know on the Johnson Creek questionnaire thread so we can plan for the dinners Friday and Saturday evening. (3) Sulphur Creek will not be available this year for breakfast due to the fire damage to the area around Sulphur Creek. (4) Breakfast destinations that are available: Flying B, Root Ranch, Big Creek, Smiley Creek. The annual Round Engine Roundup will be flying into Smiley Creek Saturday morning for breakfast. (5) There is a Fathers Day breakfast at Garden Valley Sunday Morning.
(6) This has been a normal late spring, there will still be some snow in the mountains. It will freeze at Johnson Creek at night. Bring a warm sleeping bag!
(7) The pancake house in McCall has closed, bummer.
8 There is a free APP from the Idaho Department of Transportation, "Idaho Airports". It has the airstrip information in it. The book, "Fly Idaho" is available from the Idaho Aviation Association for a fee. There is still time to order it.
(9) Please look at the SOP's for Johnson Creek, Big Creek, Garden Valley, Smiley Creek, or Stanley if you are going to fly into these strips.
A. https://idahoaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/SOPJohnson-Creek.2019.pdf
B. https://idahoaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/SOPBigCreek.2019.pdf
C. https://idahoaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/SOPGV.2019-small.pdf
D. https://idahoaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/SOPSmileyCreek.2019.pdf
E. https://idahoaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/SOPStanley.2019.pdf
(10) If this if your first time attending, there are numerous campfires at night, you will be welcome at all. It is a tremendous time to meet new people and relax. Just a warning, at some campfires, if BS was music there would be a brass band.
Come join us and enjoy Idaho for a nice stress free weekend, and if you have time, go visit Ralph in Winifred, MT the next weekend for the Missouri Breaks flyin.

Last edited:
Although I can't promise ice cream at JC, I can whet your appetite with the following Friday/Saturday dinner menu:
Friday night:
Smoked Pork Ribs (70%)
Smoked Chicken (30%)
Corn Bread
Broccoli Salad
Baked Beans
Cookies (50-50-Oatmeal Raisin and Chocolate Chip- soft and chewy!)
Water
Iced Tea
Blue Moon Keg Beer

Saturday Night:
Smoked Tri Tip (70%)
Smoked Chicken (30%)
Rolls
Pasta salad (Lots of fresh veggies)
Potato Salad
Cookies....same as Friday night!
Water
Iced Tea
More Blue Moon Keg BEER!

Nominal cost for all this ....brought to you, $35 per person/per meal.

So, if you haven't given us a meal count yet please do ASAP. I would rather have a few meals left over than come up short.

Looking forward to catching up with all my BackCountry Family in just a few weeks!

Lou and Robert

Looks delicious!
Original estimate was $25/meal (“Approx. cost PER dinner will be $25/per person.“).
So $35/meal now and I think you want cash? Sounds like a great deal!
Just want to be sure I have it with me.
Thanks for doing the organizing work!

Robert

Although I can't promise ice cream at JC, I can whet your appetite with the following Friday/Saturday dinner menu:
Friday night:
Smoked Pork Ribs (70%)
Smoked Chicken (30%)
Corn Bread
Broccoli Salad
Baked Beans
Cookies (50-50-Oatmeal Raisin and Chocolate Chip- soft and chewy!)
Water
Iced Tea
Blue Moon Keg Beer

Saturday Night:
Smoked Tri Tip (70%)
Smoked Chicken (30%)
Rolls
Pasta salad (Lots of fresh veggies)
Potato Salad
Cookies....same as Friday night!
Water
Iced Tea
More Blue Moon Keg BEER!

Nominal cost for all this ....brought to you, $35 per person/per meal.

So, if you haven't given us a meal count yet please do ASAP. I would rather have a few meals left over than come up short.

Looking forward to catching up with all my BackCountry Family in just a few weeks!

Lou and Robert

Yes, last year was $25. Due to inflation and a new caterer, as well as an expanded menu , we have settled on $35. IMHO it is a good value for what we get, not to mention that it's all brought in. Hope to see you there! Are you registered?
Lou

Yes, last year was $25. Due to inflation and a new caterer, as well as an expanded menu , we have settled on $35. IMHO it is a good value for what we get, not to mention that it's all brought in. Hope to see you there! Are you registered?
Lou

Yup, registered soon after it was posted. Planning on enjoying great food at both dinners!

As I said, it IS a great deal on a super menu and hauled in to boot.

I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of new friends.

BC Wagons
Give Ray Jilek a shout at Clyde Ice and get him to join you on your way to JC and/or the Breaks.
Lou

When flying into either Root Ranch or the Flying B, use the normal frequency, 122.9, and let them know you are coming for breakfast and how many. Both ranches monitor the frequency. The Flying B usually picks you up. We look foreword to seeing you at Johnson Creek.

https://flyingresortranches.com/

May and June have been cool and wet.

I'd bring some skeeter spray (although we had no skeeters at Big Creek this week).

Importantly: do tick checks early and often. They're rampant this year.

May and June have been cool and wet.

Fish Lake looked pretty cold and soggy last week. Bet it's even colder and soggier this week.

Fish Lake.jpg

Attachments

• Fish Lake.jpg
    Fish Lake.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 73
Yellowstone National Park is closed due to flooding, rock slides, etc. All entrances. It is WET in SW Montana right at the moment. Couple of very old bridges washed out, and literally a river raging down the main street of Red Lodge.

MTV

Mike thanks for the timely update on YNP. Does anyone have word on the West Yellowstone airport/airport campgrounds?

Thanks. cubscout

Yellowstone National Park is closed due to flooding, rock slides, etc. All entrances. It is WET in SW Montana right at the moment. Couple of very old bridges washed out, and literally a river raging down the main street of Red Lodge.

MTV

I’m pretty sure West Yellowstone is fine, other than that the town’s life blood is tourism, and the tourists are there for Yellowstone.

Here’s a picture of highway 89, north of Gardiner, the north entrance.

F9990604-E8D5-4CA0-BDBA-2273A1492F53.jpeg

Photo taken by Mark Taylor of Rocky Mountain Rotors.

Im pretty sure you’ll be fine planning to camp at West, though.

MTV

Attachments

• F9990604-E8D5-4CA0-BDBA-2273A1492F53.jpeg
    F9990604-E8D5-4CA0-BDBA-2273A1492F53.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 106
You will find snow in the mountains arriving in Idaho, but temperatures are forecast to be in the 80's by Friday with little cooler for the weekend. View out my front door last night. Everyone be safe.

PICT0023.JPG

Attachments

• PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 550
I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, but if you're looking for breakfast on Sunday morning, the IAA is holding the annual Father's Day breakfast at Garden Valley (U88 ), 7:30 to 10:30

Back