• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Valdez report

G44

SW Michigan
Anyone care to report on the weekend for those of us who couldnt attend?

Kurt

I don't have the numbers but it was a Great time!!! More snow than I have ever seen before still on the airfield. They had all the runway and parking clear but the gravel area that we usually park the campers, 5th wheel and trailers was still covered with 6 ft of snow. The trailer parks downtown had been plowing out spaces and we had 7 campers in a corner, 3 of them made a nice party area for the rest of us. The weather on Sat/Sun was great with lots of sun and not overly cold. The wind was all over the place throughout the day. Heavy touring had the worst of it with the wind socks at both ends pointing to the middle. Light Touring had some good wind down the runway. experimental and bush class had OK wind. Everybody said all day it was very turbulent no matter what direction it was blowing. Lucas Stutter with his Helio took heavy touring, while trying to figure the wind issue one of the pilots competing in the heat mentioned that it really did not matter because none of them would beat the Helio anyway. Steve Spence and the Green Bean Cessna 172 was spanking light touring dramatically with a 40 ft take off. Cache Carr spanked the Nx nose wheel 215 hp cub with his 160 hp PA 18 (the NX CUB was rather underwhelming after hearing all the pre event hype). Tom Hudzinski won the experimental class with his new SQ. Light experimental was won by the Canada Challenger guy (Paul I think). We had a good crowd for the STOL comp, I think weather may have held some in Anchorage Saturday morning but overall a fair turnout of aircraft. Gabe from airframes was on the mic and did a great job of describing the planes and some of the techniques used. As always the people of Valdez went above and beyond to make it work.
DENNY

Image1653264022.336957.jpgImage1653264045.124024.jpgImage1653264053.246402.jpgImage1653264061.289596.jpgImage1653264068.498800.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1653264022.336957.jpg
    Image1653264022.336957.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Image1653264045.124024.jpg
    Image1653264045.124024.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Image1653264053.246402.jpg
    Image1653264053.246402.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 179
  • Image1653264061.289596.jpg
    Image1653264061.289596.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Image1653264068.498800.jpg
    Image1653264068.498800.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 185
Didn’t seem like much of a turn out this year? Also seems like some long distances for the temps and lack of DA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is a heavy airplane and I found out has the shorter prop and the muffler since it is the certified version.

Didn’t seem like much of a turn out this year? Also seems like some long distances for the temps and lack of DA

This year the wind was all over the place, they swapped the competition direction a few times the heavy class had little to no wind in the first heat the second heat had a bad tail wind. The light touring had some decent wind and a few gusts and then it died down to almost calm for the experimental and light sport and by the time the first bush heat started it was a tail wind so after the first run they swapped the direction around and ran that heat over again. It was about 3-5 mph for the bush class so not the typical Valdez wind they are used to getting in past years but the temperature was nice for the crowd throughout the event it was the first time I was in a just a t-shirt all day at this event, in years past my wife was in a sleeping bag watching from the sideline!

Curious why you were underwhelmed? Looked like it did pretty well for a 1500 lb heavy Cub with a short prop

Mostly because all the hype about how great a performer it was. The highest empty weight I see in all the adds is 1230 lbs. Pretty close to Cache's cub. WITH 55 MORE HP THAN THE 160HP Cache had.

“A nosewheel equipped XCub is a very easy airplane to fly that takes off shorter, lands shorter, and cruises faster than the tailwheel version,” https://bydanjohnson.com/what-a-cub-dragging-its-nose-rather-than-its-tail-cubcrafters-newest-entry/

Like the X-Cub, the NX is fast, better than 150 mph, and its performance isn’t nearly as good as its tailwheel hangar mate; it’s better. The NX can, according to the company, land using a third less runway than the X-Cub https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/cubcrafters-nx-cub-revolutionary-polarizing/

If the companys hype is correct the tailwheel version would be a real dog. I keep hearing the excuse the pilot only had 30 min of training. Really??? Seems he has been flying around the country showing this plane off for a few years now. If you come to play with the big dogs how about some bring some Big Dog skills. Does that nose wheel cause so much drag on the ground that you want to lift it up as high as you can right from the line, knowing the plane can't fly off in the first 90 ft?? Can't play the wind card because he and Cache ran within 1 min of each other and wind was steady. It is a OK plane, but really nothing that special.
DENNY

“A nosewheel equipped XCub is a very easy airplane to fly that takes off shorter, lands shorter, and cruises faster than the tailwheel version,”“A nosewheel equipped XCub is a very easy airplane to fly that takes off shorter, lands shorter, and cruises faster than the tailwheel version,”

I guess I wasn't there so I am not seeing the whole picture. I just thought a 1500 lb production airplane at 271' combined score vs a bushed out Super Cub 1st at 205' and 2nd at 268' wasn't to bad.

I doubt the $400K+ NX Cub gets flown to its limits. The last thing a demo pilot wants to do is break the plane. And with that in mind 271' combined isn't bad. I'd expect it to close the gap as the planes get loaded, too. If contests influence the market I'd say green 172s should be in high demand.

The only reason an NX can land in a short distance is that you can use max braking with (almost) no risk of a prop strike. The nose wheel offers no advantage before the mains touch. Unfortunately the results only show stop distance past the line and not touchdown point.

The NX may be what keeps CubCrafters alive. Their tailwheel aircraft may soon be impossible to insure.

Congratulations again Cache! Did you put Pstols on your cub?

Thanks yes I did put the P-STOL flaps on back in March and I really like them they have slowed my approach down by about 5mph. The stall is the only draw back I have found
My plane used to stall on the airspeed indicator around 28-30mph now it is down around 22-23 the problem is it drops the left wing and it’s pretty violent when it does I have messed around with rigging and the only thing I have come up with at this point is the p-factor. If I give it a little right rudder just before the stall it will stall wings level forward like it used to before the flaps. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I talked to Jamie over at blue river and he said he has two cubs with P-STOL flaps one drops a wing and one does not.

As for the NX cub it appears that in his first scored landing he landed just a few feet past the line and locked the tires which I think that landing was around 120’ the only way to shorten that up is a slower approach but I’m not sure if it will slow down any more. I think if he would have kept the nose down longer for his takeoffs it would have gotten off a lot shorter, maybe it needs bigger flaps? All I can say is I still like conventional gear! [emoji41]

It lands faster, probably because of the weight. Took me a little time to hit my spot with it, any other Cub I am pretty good hitting my spot right out of the box.

I haven't noticed any of the P-STOLs I have installed or flown dropping a wing in the stall.

Thanks yes I did put the P-STOL flaps on back in March and I really like them they have slowed my approach down by about 5mph. The stall is the only draw back I have found
My plane used to stall on the airspeed indicator around 28-30mph now it is down around 22-23 the problem is it drops the left wing and it’s pretty violent when it does I have messed around with rigging and the only thing I have come up with at this point is the p-factor. If I give it a little right rudder just before the stall it will stall wings level forward like it used to before the flaps. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I talked to Jamie over at blue river and he said he has two cubs with P-STOL flaps one drops a wing and one does not.

As for the NX cub it appears that in his first scored landing he landed just a few feet past the line and locked the tires which I think that landing was around 120’ the only way to shorten that up is a slower approach but I’m not sure if it will slow down any more. I think if he would have kept the nose down longer for his takeoffs it would have gotten off a lot shorter, maybe it needs bigger flaps? All I can say is I still like conventional gear! [emoji41]

I tried gap seals before and didn’t notice a change. I put them on after the pstol and noticed an improvement, after the flaps seemed like I was running out of rudder when slow. The gap seals helped that.

I don’t have an opinion on this either way but Brad Damn (CubCrafters VP and guy flying) is a good pilot. I don’t expect he needs any of the 30 min practice time they spoke about.
But I also agree it seems like it would have done better.
I entered my first stol event with a 1245 lb (empty weight) 180hp Bearhawk, long landing was 160 and takeoff was 114, so 275 combined mainly due to pretty generic skills at hitting a spot. I would expect Brad to be able to beat me any day.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Steve where are you getting the 1500lb weight?
DENNY
One of the experimental NX Cubs I maintain is 1378 lbs EW. The dealer I work with told me he thought the airplane Brad was flying is about 1475, it is the Part 23 certified version. Flying them you can tell they are heavier than the Cub I fly weekly or the FX3 I fly from time to time.

Back