Thread: Valdez report

Post Thanks / Like

Valdez report

Anyone care to report on the weekend for those of us who couldnt attend?

Kurt
    Thanks Kid Durango thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the numbers but it was a Great time!!! More snow than I have ever seen before still on the airfield. They had all the runway and parking clear but the gravel area that we usually park the campers, 5th wheel and trailers was still covered with 6 ft of snow. The trailer parks downtown had been plowing out spaces and we had 7 campers in a corner, 3 of them made a nice party area for the rest of us. The weather on Sat/Sun was great with lots of sun and not overly cold. The wind was all over the place throughout the day. Heavy touring had the worst of it with the wind socks at both ends pointing to the middle. Light Touring had some good wind down the runway. experimental and bush class had OK wind. Everybody said all day it was very turbulent no matter what direction it was blowing. Lucas Stutter with his Helio took heavy touring, while trying to figure the wind issue one of the pilots competing in the heat mentioned that it really did not matter because none of them would beat the Helio anyway. Steve Spence and the Green Bean Cessna 172 was spanking light touring dramatically with a 40 ft take off. Cache Carr spanked the Nx nose wheel 215 hp cub with his 160 hp PA 18 (the NX CUB was rather underwhelming after hearing all the pre event hype). Tom Hudzinski won the experimental class with his new SQ. Light experimental was won by the Canada Challenger guy (Paul I think). We had a good crowd for the STOL comp, I think weather may have held some in Anchorage Saturday morning but overall a fair turnout of aircraft. Gabe from airframes was on the mic and did a great job of describing the planes and some of the techniques used. As always the people of Valdez went above and beyond to make it work.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the report Denny!

Kurt
    Likes silflexer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the STOL results online somewhere?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like another great event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Denny!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653264022.336957.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	61209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653264045.124024.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	61210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653264053.246402.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	61211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653264061.289596.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	61212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653264068.498800.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	61213

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes SJ, jrussl, DENNY, tedwaltman1, sodak liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the 3rd place Bush class winner the NX Cub?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnít seem like much of a turn out this year? Also seems like some long distances for the temps and lack of DA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Was the 3rd place Bush class winner the NX Cub?
    Yes it was

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is a heavy airplane and I found out has the shorter prop and the muffler since it is the certified version.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    the NX CUB was rather underwhelming after hearing all the pre event hype
    Curious why you were underwhelmed? Looked like it did pretty well for a 1500 lb heavy Cub with a short prop.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Didnít seem like much of a turn out this year? Also seems like some long distances for the temps and lack of DA

This year the wind was all over the place, they swapped the competition direction a few times the heavy class had little to no wind in the first heat the second heat had a bad tail wind. The light touring had some decent wind and a few gusts and then it died down to almost calm for the experimental and light sport and by the time the first bush heat started it was a tail wind so after the first run they swapped the direction around and ran that heat over again. It was about 3-5 mph for the bush class so not the typical Valdez wind they are used to getting in past years but the temperature was nice for the crowd throughout the event it was the first time I was in a just a t-shirt all day at this event, in years past my wife was in a sleeping bag watching from the sideline!

Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations again Cache! Did you put Pstols on your cub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious why you were underwhelmed? Looked like it did pretty well for a 1500 lb heavy Cub with a short prop.
    Because we all thought that the trauma to our eyeballs would at least be compensated somewhat by some impressive landing distances...
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ak49flyer View Post
    Because we all thought that the trauma to our eyeballs would at least be compensated somewhat by some impressive landing distances...
    Looked like it did pretty good for a 1500 lb airplane that will go 150 plus mph. They fly nice too.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious why you were underwhelmed? Looked like it did pretty well for a 1500 lb heavy Cub with a short prop
    Mostly because all the hype about how great a performer it was. The highest empty weight I see in all the adds is 1230 lbs. Pretty close to Cache's cub. WITH 55 MORE HP THAN THE 160HP Cache had.

“A nosewheel equipped XCub is a very easy airplane to fly that takes off shorter, lands shorter, and cruises faster than the tailwheel version,” https://bydanjohnson.com/what-a-cub-dragging-its-nose-rather-than-its-tail-cubcrafters-newest-entry/

Like the X-Cub, the NX is fast, better than 150 mph, and its performance isn’t nearly as good as its tailwheel hangar mate; it’s better. The NX can, according to the company, land using a third less runway than the X-Cub https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/cubcrafters-nx-cub-revolutionary-polarizing/

If the companys hype is correct the tailwheel version would be a real dog. I keep hearing the excuse the pilot only had 30 min of training. Really??? Seems he has been flying around the country showing this plane off for a few years now. If you come to play with the big dogs how about some bring some Big Dog skills. Does that nose wheel cause so much drag on the ground that you want to lift it up as high as you can right from the line, knowing the plane can't fly off in the first 90 ft?? Can't play the wind card because he and Cache ran within 1 min of each other and wind was steady. It is a OK plane, but really nothing that special.
    DENNY

“A nosewheel equipped XCub is a very easy airplane to fly that takes off shorter, lands shorter, and cruises faster than the tailwheel version,”“A nosewheel equipped XCub is a very easy airplane to fly that takes off shorter, lands shorter, and cruises faster than the tailwheel version,”
    Thanks ak49flyer thanked for this post
    Likes ak49flyer, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I wasn't there so I am not seeing the whole picture. I just thought a 1500 lb production airplane at 271' combined score vs a bushed out Super Cub 1st at 205' and 2nd at 268' wasn't to bad.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Stankasica liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt the $400K+ NX Cub gets flown to its limits. The last thing a demo pilot wants to do is break the plane. And with that in mind 271' combined isn't bad. I'd expect it to close the gap as the planes get loaded, too. If contests influence the market I'd say green 172s should be in high demand.
    Thanks flynlow thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, Steve Pierce, DENNY, 39-J3, Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason an NX can land in a short distance is that you can use max braking with (almost) no risk of a prop strike. The nose wheel offers no advantage before the mains touch. Unfortunately the results only show stop distance past the line and not touchdown point.

The NX may be what keeps CubCrafters alive. Their tailwheel aircraft may soon be impossible to insure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    Congratulations again Cache! Did you put Pstols on your cub?
    Thanks yes I did put the P-STOL flaps on back in March and I really like them they have slowed my approach down by about 5mph. The stall is the only draw back I have found
    My plane used to stall on the airspeed indicator around 28-30mph now it is down around 22-23 the problem is it drops the left wing and itís pretty violent when it does I have messed around with rigging and the only thing I have come up with at this point is the p-factor. If I give it a little right rudder just before the stall it will stall wings level forward like it used to before the flaps. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I talked to Jamie over at blue river and he said he has two cubs with P-STOL flaps one drops a wing and one does not.

As for the NX cub it appears that in his first scored landing he landed just a few feet past the line and locked the tires which I think that landing was around 120í the only way to shorten that up is a slower approach but Iím not sure if it will slow down any more. I think if he would have kept the nose down longer for his takeoffs it would have gotten off a lot shorter, maybe it needs bigger flaps? All I can say is I still like conventional gear!

Likes KevinJ, AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It lands faster, probably because of the weight. Took me a little time to hit my spot with it, any other Cub I am pretty good hitting my spot right out of the box.

I haven't noticed any of the P-STOLs I have installed or flown dropping a wing in the stall.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Cache liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Thanks yes I did put the P-STOL flaps on back in March and I really like them they have slowed my approach down by about 5mph. The stall is the only draw back I have found
    My plane used to stall on the airspeed indicator around 28-30mph now it is down around 22-23 the problem is it drops the left wing and itís pretty violent when it does I have messed around with rigging and the only thing I have come up with at this point is the p-factor. If I give it a little right rudder just before the stall it will stall wings level forward like it used to before the flaps. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I talked to Jamie over at blue river and he said he has two cubs with P-STOL flaps one drops a wing and one does not.

As for the NX cub it appears that in his first scored landing he landed just a few feet past the line and locked the tires which I think that landing was around 120í the only way to shorten that up is a slower approach but Iím not sure if it will slow down any more. I think if he would have kept the nose down longer for his takeoffs it would have gotten off a lot shorter, maybe it needs bigger flaps? All I can say is I still like conventional gear!

I tried gap seals before and didnít notice a change. I put them on after the pstol and noticed an improvement, after the flaps seemed like I was running out of rudder when slow. The gap seals helped that.

Likes Cache liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    He actually hit his spot pretty good but he was dragging it in and look kind of fast.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve where are you getting the 1500lb weight?
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    That NX cub sure had violent nose wheel shimmy under max braking
    Likes ak49flyer, GroundLoopGary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Valdez report

I donít have an opinion on this either way but Brad Damn (CubCrafters VP and guy flying) is a good pilot. I donít expect he needs any of the 30 min practice time they spoke about.
    But I also agree it seems like it would have done better.
    I entered my first stol event with a 1245 lb (empty weight) 180hp Bearhawk, long landing was 160 and takeoff was 114, so 275 combined mainly due to pretty generic skills at hitting a spot. I would expect Brad to be able to beat me any day.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks LMartin thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    Steve where are you getting the 1500lb weight?
    DENNY
    One of the experimental NX Cubs I maintain is 1378 lbs EW. The dealer I work with told me he thought the airplane Brad was flying is about 1475, it is the Part 23 certified version. Flying them you can tell they are heavier than the Cub I fly weekly or the FX3 I fly from time to time.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks DENNY thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    That NX cub sure had violent nose wheel shimmy under max braking
    Interesting. No shimmy in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYuw...el=CubCrafters

Post Thanks / Like
    They do start to shimmy after they get broken in. Easy to adjust the tension and set to spec. I maintain 3 NX Cubs, has been fun to learn a new airplane. It is a neat design.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Give credit where credit is due. Steve Spence won Valdez in an old 172. And his combined distance was less than half that of the NX Cub. Heck, he beat all the Cubs. That’s impressive!
    Likes ak49flyer, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve crushed all but the experimental guys. He wears that 172, amazing performance. We are doing a 175 with hopes to make it fly as good as his 172. Steve is going to give me some lessons, but doubt I can do what he does. And he does not even have a Trailblazer lightweight prop for more thrust yet! Watch out Supercubs, Green Bean is lurking for you.
    John
    Likes jrussl, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any body know about how much ballast Spence keeps in the tail? Denny might? It’s about the equivalent of a large child I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think about 50lbs or less, but that may change if Trailblazer prop offsets some forward, if he gets one.
    John
    Last edited by john schwamm; 05-24-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard 60lbs but that could be embellished a bit...
    Likes KevinJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking 60-70lbs but I’m not sure I got a straight answer out of him last yr. Lucas’s helio and Spence are a show on their own.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I follow Steve and the Green Bean on Facebook and he post some really neat videos.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers