• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tool stores LA.

texmex

Hanging Rock, Australia.
Hi Guys,

I find myself at short notice heading to LA tomorrow for a quick 32 hour visit.

I'm chasing the very small Allen Keys to put the knobs back on the DG and Altimeter. (Google suggests I need a Bristol Hex kit, but I'm sure Snap On would have the same)

What's the best way to get these? That is walking into a store, not ordering online. Maybe even meeting a Snap On van as I will have a car.

I recently visited a Grainger's Hardware. A very disappointing experience. It had a very small area of display stock, and 95% of the store was behind roller doors.

Thanks for the ideas.
Texmex.

Hi Guys,

I find myself at short notice heading to LA tomorrow for a quick 32 hour visit.

I'm chasing the very small Allen Keys to put the knobs back on the DG and Altimeter. (Google suggests I need a Bristol Hex kit, but I'm sure Snap On would have the same)

What's the best way to get these? That is walking into a store, not ordering online. Maybe even meeting a Snap On van as I will have a car.

I recently visited a Grainger's Hardware. A very disappointing experience. It had a very small area of display stock, and 95% of the store was behind roller doors.

Thanks for the ideas.
Texmex.

I would order on amazon, pay the shipping for overnight and have it shipped to a local amazon pick-up near where you will be.

Otherwise, you'll likely drive all over hell and back teaching tool store clerks what a bristol wrench is.

Or, just call an avionics shop near where you are going, tell them your story and ask to borrow. I would loan mine is a fella came into my shop asking for one. Just asking for a bristol wrench tells an avionics guy that you are likely not a hack.

Any Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware will have them.

I would have thought the same Steve. But I went to put the knob on the DG the other day, and the grub screw was SMALL. I've a fairly large, and complete set of keys, but none that small.

drive all over hell and back teaching tool store clerks what a bristol wrench is.

Good point. As dear as freight is from the States, I guess it can't be too bad on something that small.

Sorry, re-read, local to where I'll be. Got it thanks.

Last edited:

Bristol spline is very different from Hex and an Allen key is not the proper tool. Bristol spline grub screws are used on some Bendix/King products such as the knobs on the KX-170B. Some of these have been buggered by using the wrong tool. At a pinch a Bristol spline grub screw can be secured by using a flat blade instrument screwdriver that engages fully in a pair of splines.

https://bristolwrench.com/spline-drive-parts/

I guess I assumed Bristol was another word for Allen wrench. Too many years working in a hardware store (plumbers helper, plunger, etc)

I guess I assumed Bristol was another word for Allen wrench. Too many years working in a hardware store (plumbers helper, plunger, etc)

Bristol does make hex keys as well. Anyone's hex key with fit anyone else's hex screw but, if it's a Bristol spline screw, the tool choices are more limited. I'm sure we all improvise at times. I have hand filed small hex keys to reduce them to the size I needed.

I only recently learned about Bristol spline when I was repairing a couple of KX-170B. Nothing I had fitted the grub screws but I found the screw part numbers and type in the Bendix/King KX-170B Maintenance/Overhaul Manual.

I got mine in a set of mixed drivers that I bought for all the Torx bits it had. Not that I was smart, just lucky. I think I got the set from Matco, had a real nice mini hex ratchet too. I think EDMO sells them but they aren't in LA anymore, plus they don't sell without an account.
Getting replacement spline set screws is about as hard as finding the Bristol key.
Ken

Getting replacement spline set screws is about as hard as finding the Bristol key.

That's why I keep the early "unrepairable" KX-170B that I have. It even has proper all metal tuning knobs instead of the later plastic ones that split. It's a valuable source of parts, including switch wafers.

(A bit of a diversion but don't try to extract a KX-170B from the rack using the latch screw. It is possible to drive the latch past the stop into the switch wafer and smash it. That is what had happened to one that I acquired at a good price and later repaired.)

Back