• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What Type of Harness are folks using?

seancrotty

Saratoga Springs, NY
I just purchased a very nice refurbished 1946 PA-12 but it’s without harnesses. Any suggestions on make and model? I got a response from Hooker that they’d recommend the commercial style harness but I tend to lean toward the old military style - just seems beefier.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

FLY SAFE

Sean

I prefer the military. style and you can get it with pads. Slightly heavier, but comfortable and probably best protection. Also you're less likely to inadvertently release the latch. The military latch is very positive, one way and the other.

I recently got Hooker to make harnesses for my Cub clone. I specified quarter-turn latches. They work smoothly and you can’t catch your sleeve on them. Top quality construction, and Hooker offers lots of colors.

Farmer Hank do you have any pictures? I like those quarter turn latches for just the reason you suggest that you won’t catch a sleeve on them. Thanks everyone for responding.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

CubCafters four point inertia real shoulder harness work fine in my FX-3. I would, perhaps, prefer a 5 point harness but no immediate plans to change.

With any harness the fit is more important than the type. A 4 point harness that fits tight over you pelvis will constrain you. A four point harness fitted loosely over a large belly will not.

I use military style in all my airplanes. Rupert makes a 3" lap strap that is very close, ant TSO'd. My Decathlon has a Siver Parachute 5-point with 3" pads and military style latch, backed up with a cheezy American Standard TSO strap.

For the Cubs I get the shoulder harnesses made with hammered fabric loops. Keeps damage due to flying metal parts to a dull roar.

There are no seat belts I hate more than those flimsy things with shoulder harnesses that can only fit one way, after you try the three other options.

If you have decent lap belts that adjust for the lap latch to center? Adding a Y strap is simple. Call Scott at Hooker. It’s important that the lap latch centers in your lap. If not, you need new lap belts, too.

Yes, Hank's setup is a good one. I like the pads, and that center latch appears similar to those we used in the Airbus.

I flew a Super Cub yesterday with the inertia reel things that I sort of hate. The reel pulls the lap strap up above my belly button. You really want to avoid that.

The advantage of Hank's setup is quick release of shoulder harnesses, done when the after takeoff checklist is complete and you are cleared direct to JFK. In the Super Cub there is no need to release the shoulder harness - nobody is bringing you coffee and peanuts. I still vote for the 3" military belt.

I flew a Super Cub yesterday with the inertia reel things that I sort of hate. The reel pulls the lap strap up above my belly button. You really want to avoid that.

Doesn't happen with mine. Why can't you tighten the lap strap to prevent that?

Hank,

When you ordered them, did you order both front and rear? Also, did you get lap belts for front tabs mounted to the floor? The reason I’m asking is because I’m going to have them make me a set exactly like yours. I ordered a set a few weeks ago and had a little trouble communicating what I wanted with Scott. In the end, we decided to go with what they make for Stoddards (which is out of stock). He said a least a month out. If I could just tell him to make another set like yours, that would help and we won’t be doing it twice.

Thanks for the post and pictures.

I bought Amsafe 5 point harnesses with dual inertial reel shoulder straps that are manually lockable. They have the rotary cam lock release. I purchased these through a guy on eBay, which made me suspicious. I contacted the guy and asked questions. He buys them from an outfit that scraps Airbus and Boeing aircraft. They are sent to Amsafe for refurbishment. When mine came they were accompanied by all required documents from Amsafe and they looked totally new. Price was less than half buying new from Cubcrafters, Hooker or Amsafe.

I ordered both front and rear, and the front belts mount to tabs on the 1” tube behind the seat. I installed them this morning to check the lengths, and it looks like they will work perfectly. Belts say “Date MFG. 04/12/21”. “Model No. 101R3730”. My name is Hank Galpin.

I really liked the Kalispell airport. Delivered a Citabria thers around the turn of the century - I think the main runway was grass then.

I bought Amsafe 5 point harnesses with dual inertial reel shoulder straps that are manually lockable. They have the rotary cam lock release. I purchased these through a guy on eBay, which made me suspicious. I contacted the guy and asked questions. He buys them from an outfit that scraps Airbus and Boeing aircraft. They are sent to Amsafe for refurbishment. When mine came they were accompanied by all required documents from Amsafe and they looked totally new. Price was less than half buying new from Cubcrafters, Hooker or Amsafe.
Do you have a contact or link? Maybe a picture of your install? Thank you

I really liked the Kalispell airport. Delivered a Citabria thers around the turn of the century - I think the main runway was grass then.
Might have been the Whitefish airport which is still grass. Or maybe Ferndale, near Big Fork, which is grass. Kalispell City Airport has been paved for at least 50 years. I’m based at Glacier Park International Airport, which, needless to say, doesn’t have a grass runway.

Might have been the Whitefish airport which is still grass. Or maybe Ferndale, near Big Fork, which is grass. Kalispell City Airport has been paved for at least 50 years. I’m based at Glacier Park International Airport, which, needless to say, doesn’t have a grass runway.

He didn't specify the turn of which century.

D41B5C22-5D15-4072-920B-7C61D6F8B725.jpeg0503EB04-9ABC-4966-A880-5504E9FFF70A.jpeg06461F6B-EDDC-4360-A5AD-E9C2BAFA6A70.jpeg

Top left is the mounting pad for the front shoulder inertial reels. Top right front harnesses bolted in place. Bottom photo is the back seat inertial reel mounting pad. Headliner installs first, then the inertial reels.

Attachments

• D41B5C22-5D15-4072-920B-7C61D6F8B725.jpeg
    D41B5C22-5D15-4072-920B-7C61D6F8B725.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 0503EB04-9ABC-4966-A880-5504E9FFF70A.jpeg
    0503EB04-9ABC-4966-A880-5504E9FFF70A.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 06461F6B-EDDC-4360-A5AD-E9C2BAFA6A70.jpeg
    06461F6B-EDDC-4360-A5AD-E9C2BAFA6A70.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 78
Back