• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA18-125 Value

flyby

Olathe, KS
I know....... This is such a wide brush to work with, I understand. But I've been asked by a family that inherited this Super Cub from their late father, what should they set their expectation at for its value if they sold it today? Of course the answer can be 50k to 150k, and I have my general opinion, but they'd like more data.

1951 PA18-125
Lycoming 0-290D, 400SMOH (noted it 'runs hot' on the oil temps). Installed in 2016 with 384 hrs SMOH.
Flying aircraft (although not much in the last 6 years) - last annual 10/2020. All ADs complied with.
Tach time shows 905hrs. TT per logs list 4906hrs.
Flaps and counterbalanced tail. Central US based.

Verbally stated to me that it was re-covered sometime in the late 70s. Looking at the photos it looks like a flyer, but given the idle nature and age of fabric, probably a candidate for a flying restoration project, which is why I have my opinion of its value. But you know...... current used airplane market value and all.

I'm still in process to get additional photos/log entries to provide more data and will add as I am able.

sc3.jpgSC1.jpgSC2.jpg

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 173
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 162
  • sc3.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Age of fabric (and type of fabric), engine no longer supported and hard to find parts for, all ADs complied with (how? Sealed struts? Exhaust condition? Carburetor?). Lots of questions for the prospective buyer to consider. All in all, likely a nice flyer, but definitely not at the top of the price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question: Does that Cub have an "oil cooler" as nosebowl isn't showing a front mounted one?? That Cub will bring way more than it should....... Bet it fetches in the $100k region. Just because of the present market. Tell them good luck! An older 1950's Cub from here with NO mods down to the original style little cloth baggage that had a 500 hr 160 just moved here for $150 k. Same Cub just more HP.

My guess would be mid sixties. This cub could be a twin to mine i bought 15 years ago for $45k
I recently ferried a cub in annual with o320 for less than $60K with newer fabric

….but like Turbo said

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

In the current market, I wouldn't be surprised if it brought 70-75k. 5 years ago, 40-50k tops. Somebody would probably pay too much for it judt because it's a flying plane, without much consideration to what it will cost to keep it flying in the coming years. It's a sellers market, for sure.

Thanks Gents. My from-the-hip valuation given what the airplane is without seeing it, was in the mid-$60Ks range. But doing my due diligence to help these folks out. A mechanic who has worked on the airplane for years is trying to convince the family that throwing $40k at it and installing a -320 on it will make it much more desirable. While it would make it a more attractive airplane, I said I don't believe it would make this a $100k airplane and my honest opinion was that the money spent would not equal a like-return.

I'll try to get additional clarification on the above questions, but keep the thoughts coming. I'm glad that my initial thought is realistic on value, but as noted we're still looking at a market that's boggling our minds of what stuff is selling for.... and somebody will likely cough up more.

..... A mechanic who has worked on the airplane for years is trying to convince the family that throwing $40k at it and installing a -320 on it will make it much more desirable. While it would make it a more attractive airplane.....

Poor advice IMHO.
They do that, and it'll turn out that the person who buys it really wants a 180hp.
A few years ago, there was a locally-based faded but solid C180 that the owner put a (goofy looking) $20K paint job on, "to make it easier to sell".
It sold, for the asking price, but the buyer turned right around and had it repainted.
That $20K was wasted, the seller could have just put it right into his pocket.

That, and improvements rarely increase the price by the amount the improvement cost. That is why you are generally better off buying a Cub with relatively new cover and engine. I am guessing $60-75K.

Have they considered putting it up for auction? That would probably be the best way to determine fair market value.

I'd be curious to know what it brings if it does sell. There's a plane locally to me that would be in very similar condition, by the sound of it. A well known cub guy topd the owner that it's probably worth 35k, but he'd pay 40k for it just to do the owner a favor. Lol.

Back