• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Air Tech Coating question

Bozo

I’m looking at a Cub with Air Tech Coating finish on it. You can see daylight through all the fabric. Is this acceptable?
I’m new to Air Tech Coating and appreciate your help.

Yes I believe is the answer. Call Robbie at Airtech and he’ll explain it. The cub I owned for several years had the process and it showed very well.

I've done a few with Airtech.....last one in 2000 on my cub.......22 years and it looks great.
Only issue I've had is small cracks in the finish on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer.

Yes, seeing light through AirTech is normal. It blocks the UV instead of reflecting it is how I was told it works.

Mine is coming up on 18 years. No issues except minor hairline cracks in one or two places where I put on too much paint. I expect that they can be gently sanded out and spot recoated. It still looks really great. I did a cross-coat and a half of the UV primer gray and don't seem to have much translucence.

Yes, seeing light through AirTech is normal. It blocks the UV instead of reflecting it is how I was told it works.

With out telling my age I started my first cover job with grade A cotton. Of course then moved to dacron. This was the first Air Tech cover job i have ever seen. when I looked back in the fuselage and it looked lighted like the lights were turned up bright I didn’t know what to think. As KevinJ suggested, I called Robbie at Air Tech and he explained it exactly as Steve Pierce noted above. Thank you for the help.

Bozo
(that’s what the grandkids call me)

Most modern windows block damaging UV-A and UV-B rays. Also sunglasses, sunscreen and automotive clear coats block the damaging UV rays. There is a big difference between UV light and visible light.

I mentioned that a while back in another thread. Visible light in any of the covering systems is not necessarily a bad omen. You can't see the UV light that is harmful to fabric jobs.

Never used the Airtek system, but have used their topcoat over Stitts Poly white. Results are spectacular. One gallon plus thinner and catalyst did an entire Cub wing, several large repair areas, and a large four wheel tug.

I did the prep, and had a "pro" spray the final coat. Cannot see through the fabric.

Back