• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

To oil filter or not to oil filter

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
I had my 0360 rebuilt a couple of years ago and declined an oil filter. Now I am wondering if I should put a filter on the back of the engine, I guess, where you check the oil screen. I could put the oil filter in that is reusable too. Adds weight and cost so is it worth it or not? I change oil every 25 hours or 3 months and I fly about 100 a year. Actually I have never had an oil filter. The 50 hour oil change, with a filter, won't do me much good because the 3 months will come up first. Seems like more things to go wrong but on the other hand could save the engine? What is everyone else doing these days?

Get the oil filter. It is easy for metal to get past the screen when you clean it. This in turn can get to the crank and cause damage, been there done that. DENNY

Flying it regularly does far more for it than any fancy filter adapter will- I know a 135 operator that runs 360’s to tbo regularly with 100 hour oil changes and screens... but they fly a lot... I’m not advocating for the long interval but I’m not convinced filters are necessary...

Filter? Absolutely. I hate dealing with the mess from a screen and wondering when an oil change will end with the inevitable leak from a warped screen housing base.

I've never had an issue with using just the screen. I've had total engine failure caused by an installed filter on a O-360.

Just check your screen regularly. it will talk to you.

I hate pulling oil screens on Super Cubs. Always risk kinking the oil temp probe and allowing the gas to escape. Filter makes it way easier, I can cut the filter and inspect. I change my oil every 25 hours and filter every 50.

I hate pulling oil screens on Super Cubs. Always risk kinking the oil temp probe and allowing the gas to escape. Filter makes it way easier, I can cut the filter and inspect. I change my oil every 25 hours and filter every 50.

.......Ditto........

My capillary just failed, after sixty years and 5000 hours of abuse. Granted, I don't pull it out of the screen every 25 hours . . .
Gives me an excuse to get the right length. I go beyond TBO with just oil screens on all my engines, but then I do not live in a dusty area.

Funny- I’ve done a gazillion of screens and filters, and I detest the drool associated with unscrewing the filter and then the mess of cutting- I find the screens easier to deal with on most installations, but maybe it’s just what I’m used to- seems like the screens drip less than the filters usually, and I wash the engine after the annual anyway... probably just what I’ve gotten used to with so many old Cubs without filters around here... who’s going to spend money on a filter adapter when you could put it toward a mod on the outside of your plane that all your buddies can see...?!

What about the filter that Aircraft Spruce sells that is reusable. How much trouble is that to inspect and put back I wonder? I'm a pilot; not a mechanic so its gotta be real simple for me.

What about the filter that Aircraft Spruce sells that is reusable. How much trouble is that to inspect and put back I wonder? I'm a pilot; not a mechanic so its gotta be real simple for me.
Absolutely love my filter adapter and reusable filter on my o320. I hated the contortion finger fumble and mess of the screen (boulder catcher). I tuck a plastic grocery bag, that I’ve checked for holes, under the filter. 80% of the time the filter is empty the other 20% the few drops end up in the bag. I drop the reusable filter in a pint pickle jar of 100ll, solvent, or favorite cleaner, and swish it around. Every bit it has caught ends up in the bottom of the jar for inspection.

If you are talking about the Challenger reusable filter I bought one back when they were a lot less expensive to save hauling boxes of oil filters to South America. Works fine, takes a few minutes to rinse out. A little easier and less messy than cutting a filter.

I have a quick drain on the filter adapter that saves some mess.

Last edited:
I just heard that the standard can filters are in short supply, along with brake discs and engine parts. Pretty soon everybody will be grounded awaiting parts, and maybe fuel prices will drop for those of us who have stockpiled parts?

i have CH48109 filters on order from two places. Both say Champion has not shipped them any this year. ETA for next shipment is June/July. Guess i’ll be switching to “every other change” interval on the filter as will many of my friends. in the long run, it’s gonna hurt Champion as we adapt.

Installation, cleaning and other posts on the Challenger oil filter.
https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?49774-Challenger-Reusable-Spin-On-Oil-Filter
Easiest way I have found to cut open an oil filter.
https://www.supercub.org/forum/show...to-Cut-Open-an-Oil-Filter&p=803039#post803039

I ran into the filter shorter the first time. Accidently bought two cases but turned out to be good because I see they are backordered again. Had to buy Champion spark plug gaskets that are over twice what the competitors charge because the competitor's are back ordered.

Yea, at $85 an hour my time is better spent installing new. I also read some information that they are only good for a few cycles like that. Not sure the validity of it. I have a couple of coffee cans full of old ones. Use to make my kids anneal them.

Aside from the reusable one, when is one of the companies going to make a cartridge style filter and housing, like used on most automotive engines, and making its way into marine engines as well.
Take the cap off, remove filter vertically, no mess no oil loss, done.

Side benefit, don’t cut open the filter to check for metal, just the cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
Aside from the reusable one, when is one of the companies going to make an “internal” filter and housing, like used on most automotive engines, and making its way into marine engines as well.
Take the cap off, remove filter vertically, no mess no oil loss, done.
The IO-550 in my 185 had a built-in screw on adapter for the filter. It wasn't vertical, but close.

This seems scary to me. What's your experience?

I drain oil immediately after a flight. Poke a hole in top of oil filter with a screwdriver or awl and go home.
Next day filter is drained.......no mess.

Back