• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil cooling Titan IO-360

guidoperez

Hello everyone!
I Am Guido from Ushuaia, Argentina.
I am in the process of building a Javron wide body. I read in the forum about problems of high oil temperatures in Titan engines. I would like to know your recommendations about the installation of the 13-row oil cooler in a Titan IO-360 180HP 8.5:1 engine. My idea is to place the oil cooler behind the engine but I do not know if that will bring me problems of high oil temperature. Any help is welcome.
Thank you!
Guido Perez

I share some photos of the progress of the project.
2.jpeg1.jpeg

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 88
Is it going to have piston squirters? That is what usually makes the oil hotter. My 0320 has a 13 row on the rear baffle works great but it is a major pain when it comes to working on the engine so I am not a huge fan of the location. Lots of planes with rear mounted coolers seem to be doing fine so that might be the answer. DENNY

Hi Denny. Thank you about your answer. I really don´t know if my engine has piston squirters. Maybe, I guess the high oil temperature issue is a problem on high compressed engines. I saw a lot of oil coolers mounted on the rear baffle and seems that work fine like yours. I just want to be sure to do it right to avoid future trubles about oil temperatures.

I believe the Titan IO-360 is a parallel valve engine. I’d think a 9 row cooler on the rear baffle should work fine. Your thought that higher compression makes higher oil temps is correct from what I’ve seen with mine.

I have a 9 row rear mount on O370 and is sufficient for alaska. Different weights on all the brands…..

I run a 10 row on the back of the baffling in a pretty demanding environment in Bolivia. It has been good enough even with 11:1 pistons.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Thanks for very helpfully comments.
Temperatures in Ushuaia are between -10°c to 15°C (14°F - 59°F) It Isn´t so cold like Alaska, but I think it will works fine with those temps in South Patagonia.
I am looking for fly some Crosscountry flights 800/1000 nm Northbound where weather temperatures rises suddenly to 40°C (100°F) and right there is my doubt about oil temp issues.
In north Argentina are airports at 4500ft, with hot weather too. So, I´m traying to match best of oil cooler configuration for all weather ops.

Back