• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1 1/4" axle kit fit interference

Vermont
Installing a new set of 35" bush wheels on a 1 1/4 axle. When trying to install the axle side spacer the rosette weld on the stub axle will not let the spacer past about half way. Has anyone else had this issue? Have a call and email out to ABW but seeing who else is up early.
image0-3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2-2.jpeg
Worse case I can machine the inside of the spacer where it interferes with the rosette weld on the stub.

Attachments

• image0-3.jpeg
    image0-3.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 173
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image2-2.jpeg
    image2-2.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 155
I had the exact same issue. Answer from from Airframes 7 years ago was sand down the weld flush. 5 minutes with a 1/2 inch pneumatic belt sander and it has been just fine.

Norm

How old is that gear? You might want to peal that fabric off and take a good look at them before you hang a set of 35 in tires on them. The lever arm of the tire is pretty long, I have seen BOTH a stock HD and 3 in HD gear bent in the middle when the cub got sideways. Bob is being polite when he asked about the wrinkles, think about it no one leaves wrinkles like that when you cover. Fix the brake line so you are not traping a air bubble while you are at it. Sorry to make more work for ya just trying to help prevent big issues down the road.
DENNY

Last edited:
In my opinion the brake line is not an issue. Most covered gear will have the brake line exiting the fabric below the axle and that's just the way it's done. Lots of cubs running around with brake lines just like that and no issues. Your brake bleeder is located on the bottom which is the better way to go so that should work fine.

As NDRII said, just grind/sand down the head of that rosette weld and also probably remove all of that paint. The spacer ID is fairly exact so it will be a tight fit if you have any extra paint buildup on the axle.

Aren't those the welding rods welded in there to support the wheel pant bracket?

Thanks for the help gents! One small project always seems to turn into more work than expected! Successfully got the 35's on, gear un covered, painted, re-assembled, brakes bleed, and test flown.

Back