Thread: License Revoked

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes DENNY, 5nines liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie,

I get a malware warning and the DIVE-DIVE-DIVE alarm goes off on my firewall from that website.

Kirby
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Disclaimer: facts may not be right in this video.

Last edited by Mot; 04-23-2022 at 09:02 AM.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Only problem with Blancolirio is he rarely gets the facts right (not to mention the tendency to over speculate on accidents), including this time.

According to what I read, Trevor can start his private pilot license training process again in a year, take a checkride, and have his license back.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks Mot, Poor Joe thanked for this post
    Likes Bill.Brine, soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Only problem with Blancolirio is he rarely gets the facts right (not to mention the tendency to over speculate on accidents), including this time.

According to what I read, Trevor can start his private pilot license training process again in a year, take a checkride, and have his license back.

sj
    Yep. Same deal with Martha.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many views did Blanco get pimping off Trevor's stunt? YouTube self righteous chest thumping is going back to eleven.
    Thanks Mot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize for posting the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blanco who?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks flynlow thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they have to go thru the complete 40 hour course, or do they get credit for previous time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Credit for previous time. All a person would need is to pass the written, get the required prep time from a CFI, get recommended for the check ride by a CFI via IACRA (8710-1) and pass the practical test. I’m not sure if the practical test can be administered by a DPE, but it may be ok. Otherwise would have get done by FAA.

As usual, I’m open to correction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pouellette View Post
    Do they have to go thru the complete 40 hour course, or do they get credit for previous time?
    For some reason I thought he had to do all the training and log all the training stuff again - but Rich may be right, if so, they should have just suspended it for a year as another checkride is not that big of a deal.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    SJ

Similar discussion going on over on Beechtalk.com. It seems to be that the consensus there is previous time/experience is valid. Doesn’t make me correct. I think in the Martha case this was first brought up as being the process. It is a pain if you want ALL the ratings back but this guy just needs he PPL. In addition to having his head examined.

Rich.
    Thanks Travelair3000 thanked for this post
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Think of the yt views, for Trevor and the aviation yters, if Trevor goes straight and videos himself retraining and regaining his PPL in a year. The crying and whining would be epic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question for the CFI's...

Can you - or perhaps have you - declined to instruct a student ( sorry - learner) due your impression of their character? It's been a question of mine for years, having known some pilots who were absolute idiots; but this situation begs the question. I am a ground instructor ( and PPL) but don't feel like this situation would apply to ground instruction. But having my name associated with some of the pilots I've known - and this guy too - would seem to be a big risk in today's litigious society. Not to mention the ethical dilemma of the student doing something stupid after your instruction - that you might reasonable have suspected they might do. Even if you didn't instruct them to do it (which we know you didn't) or instructed them specifically not to - they're out there because you worked with them.

I just think that like the "go or no go" decision, there ought to be a "teach or don't teach" decision as well. As CFI's you can't stop idiots from flying, but you don't have to help them.
    Last edited by RedOwlAirfield; 04-24-2022 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Case agreement
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes BC12D-4-85, Pete Schoeninger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    so now were going to watch pilots change planes in mid air. called plane swap. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...al-1235111232/

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes BC12D-4-85, Crash, Jr., Brandsman, gahi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOwlAirfield View Post

Can you - or perhaps have you - declined to instruct a student ( sorry - learner) due your impression of their character? It's been a question of mine for years, having known some pilots who were absolute idiots; but this situation begs the question. I am a ground instructor ( and PPL) but don't feel like this situation would apply to ground instruction. But having my name associated with some of the pilots I've known - and this guy too - would seem to be a big risk in today's litigious society. Not to mention the ethical dilemma of the student doing something stupid after your instruction - that you might reasonable have suspected they might do. Even if you didn't instruct them to do it (which we know you didn't) or instructed them specifically not to - they're out there because you worked with them.

I just think that like the "go or no go" decision, there ought to be a "teach or don't teach" decision as well. As CFI's you can't stop idiots from flying, but you don't have to help them.
    I've never been in a situation where someone pushed me to fly/instruct someone who it was felt was not well suited. We sometimes joke about the FAA's hazardous attitudes, but they are super easy to spot in most cases. I always politely decline - it may be that I am just misreading someone and they will do great with someone else.

sj
    Thanks grbreen, RedOwlAirfield thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a, soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have avoided people who I have felt were not “learners”. They very well could have been “students” but we all know that all students are not learners.

I did ask the owner of a flight school I was working for to give a substantial deposit back to a student after I flew with him a few times. Not exactly the same but a guy around sixty who had solo’d 40 years before and wanted to get back into it so I flew with him. He flew very well and I could have let him go after the first hour, but I noticed some cognitive impairment. Like he couldn’t remember things. Like using a check list.

After a couple of hours I sent him off on a supervised solo around the patch. The old 152 sounded particularly anemic as it climbed out. I called him on the radio and told him to bring it right back, not wanting to upset him by saying the engine sounded strange. When he got out I told him that and asked if he took off with carb heat on. He said no, he took off on one mag. This a a number of other ground based events caused me to tell the owner we shouldn’t go any further with him. I was afraid he would forget something else and really get hurt or worse and I would feel bad. I hate feeling bad.

There were a couple of others I avoided based upon things heard from other instructors I respect.

Now I only do the occasional flight review and only for people I know and have known for years.

Rich CFI-A, CFI-I
    Last edited by Richgj3; 04-24-2022 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    Thanks RedOwlAirfield thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a, Pete Schoeninger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you - or perhaps have you - declined to instruct a student ( sorry - learner) due your impression of their character?
    Mechanics do this all the time, lol

Web

(Hey. SOMEBODY was going to say it. Might as well be me)
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks RaisedByWolves thanked for this post
    Likes Richgj3, 40m, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, more than once, for different reasons.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richgj3 View Post
    SJ

Similar discussion going on over on Beechtalk.com. It seems to be that the consensus there is previous time/experience is valid. Doesn’t make me correct. I think in the Martha case this was first brought up as being the process. It is a pain if you want ALL the ratings back but this guy just needs he PPL. In addition to having his head examined.

Rich.
    Yes, this is correct. You are required to meet the requirements for the practical test. All previous experience counts toward those requirements. You have to fly with a CFI for at least 3 hours, however, since that CFI is the one who's going to recommend you for the practical exam, and the recommending CFI must have given the applicant 3 hours dual.

I see no reason why a DPE who's authorized to examine for the certificate couldn't administer the practical. I suspect doing so with a fed could be tough in any case.

MTV
    Likes Richgj3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    trevor didnt hold a candle to the red bull guys. one flipped upside down and went into a pretty tough spin.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 04-25-2022 at 09:54 AM.
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    trevor didnt hold a candle to the red bull guys. one flipped ubside down and went into a pretty tough spin.
    Sounds like at least one more revocation coming. News says FAA denied a waiver to do this. Not sure what FAR they wanted to waive but you can’t get one for 91.13. Careless and reckless. Let’s see, get in airplane with a parachute. Climb to altitude. Stop engine on purpose. Bail out. Airplane crashes. Do the whole thing to make money. Sound familiar?
    Likes soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like this one is coming back as pots and pans as my old flight school boss used to say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCAB1E39-BD7C-4D5A-A206-C1CFD0D4BB32.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	60988  

Post Thanks / Like
    and alot of them had, STAFF, shirts on, i thought it was awesome, especially when one guy made it. the speed brake on each of the planes intrigued me the most. mustve taken some special trimming to try and get them to go straight down? the one guy had more than 27,000 sky diving jumps, thats a few.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 04-25-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good explanation of the modifications done to the airplanes.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...old-interview/
    Likes mixer, Mot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mot View Post
    Disclaimer: facts may not be right in this video.

What makes him think that Trevor Jacobs will never fly again? I'd put money on it that he will - just not show too publicly (at first)

On another note, what if that 2nd RED Bulls--- Cessna had decided to fly a little bit longer with a collapsed dive brake...Ooooops... Sorry about your Motor home/trailer house/SUV/RV/pet dog...etc. folks. I know Eloy isn't Grand Central, but...just saying.
    Likes Richgj3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have turned down students. Flew with a couple that I just knew would never be safe, so told them I wasn't their guy.

Can you imagine the oral for Mr. J? Especially if the person giving it likes old airplanes. Deck stacked against him having an easy time of it.

Question about RedBull. With all their $$$, why didn't they go to another country that would not care?

Ok, back to my cave.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes RaisedByWolves, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW Trent Palmer of Flying Cowboys fame just posted a video about an FAA certificate action being taken against him.
    I only watched the very beginning of the video so don't know what all it's about.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Bowie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    FWIW Trent Palmer of Flying Cowboys fame just posted a video about an FAA certificate action being taken against him.
    I only watched the very beginning of the video so don't know what all it's about.
    Yup https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...t-landing-site
    Likes jrussl, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Richgj3 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After Taylorcraft Boy bailed out for click bait, and was revoked, the FAA really couldn't pass on this one.....and well deserved.

MTV
    Likes Hardtailjohn, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have rejected students. In one case, in the middle of a flight review.

The owner of a Maule contracted me to do his flight review. We met at his home airport and flew about 10 miles to another airport to practice takeoffs and landings. He flew the pattern using rudder-only for turns. Discussion in the air proved fruitless, so we landed to talk about it. He was insistent and argumentative that he couldn’t spin using rudder-only and that’s what his previous CFI told him.

I got out and found a friend at a nearby hangar to drive me to the other airport to get my Jeep and that’s the last I heard from him.

I’ve had 500+ great students…we don’t need every customer.

Daryl
    Daryl Hickman, ATP, CFI, XYZ, PDQ
    N452SP American Legend Cub
    http://www.CubFlying.com
    http://www.KidsFlyCubs.org
    Likes Steve Pierce, flynlow, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious if you could take a commercial checkride and qualify for both commercial and private (1 stone/ 2 birds)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t think there is any requirement to get a lesser certificate. If you meet the experience requirements and pass the written and practical test you should get the certificate. Question is, what are the conditions of the revocation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes flynlow, mixer, soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    61.123(h) pretty explicitly says you need to hold at least a private pilot certificate first or meet the military equivalent requirements of 61.73 as a requirement of the commercial. Even if you could take a combined check ride, it probably wouldn't make sense from a workload standpoint. He'll have to take his instrument ride, too if he had it. I'd bet he will need to take these check rides with an ASI and not just a DPE but who knows. I bet that's spelled out in the revocation.

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason you can’t take multiple rides together. I did commercial multi engine, Instrument Airplane and Instrument Instructor all in the same ride.

I also did my Commercial Glider and Glider Flight Instructor both in the same ride.

Interesting fact, my Flight Instructor, Instrument, Airplane was my first Instructor rating. I did not have an Instructor, Airplane Single Engine or Multi Engine at the time. Not many pilots have jumped right into the instrument instructor with no other instructor ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks soyAnarchisto thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soyAnarchisto View Post
    61.123(h) pretty explicitly says you need to hold at least a private pilot certificate first or meet the military equivalent requirements of 61.73 as a requirement of the commercial. Even if you could take a combined check ride, it probably wouldn't make sense from a workload standpoint. He'll have to take his instrument ride, too if he had it. I'd bet he will need to take these check rides with an ASI and not just a DPE but who knows. I bet that's spelled out in the revocation.
    "61.123(h) Hold at least a private pilot certificate issued under this part or meet the requirements of § 61.73;"

The applicant is not required to hold the Private pilot certificate. Granted most do, but is not required.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    No reason you can’t take multiple rides together. I did commercial multi engine, Instrument Airplane and Instrument Instructor all in the same ride.

I also did my Commercial Glider and Glider Flight Instructor both in the same ride.

Interesting fact, my Flight Instructor, Instrument, Airplane was my first Instructor rating. I did not have an Instructor, Airplane Single Engine or Multi Engine at the time. Not many pilots have jumped right into the instrument instructor with no other instructor ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got my CFII first also. At the time the initial CFI had to be done with the FSDO. Since the double I ride is more straight forward (fewer opportunities to screw up);I did that first then added on CFI-A with a DPE

Rich
    Likes dgapilot, soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    "61.123(h) Hold at least a private pilot certificate issued under this part or meet the requirements of § 61.73;"

The applicant is not required to hold the Private pilot certificate. Granted most do, but is not required.
    The requirements of 61.73 are having been a military pilot with specific background/experience. I don’t think that applies in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes soyAnarchisto liked this post