Thread: Pa-12 vs 170?

Post Thanks / Like

Pa-12 vs 170?

I have a 170B with a sportsman stol, wondering how it compares to a stock pa-12-135 with flaps as far as landing and takeoff?

I like the 170 and where it can go on 26s but it’s pretty boring to fly otherwise. It gets into the gravel bars and mountain tops I like to go decently well.

I found a PA-12 for 65k that the fuselage and fabric were redone and painted about 8 years ago, pa-18 stabs and feathers, and is on 31s. Thinking it might be a good platform to eventually put a 160 hp on.
    Last edited by tundra_flyer; 04-19-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no 170 experience…but a friend has a 180hp 170 B and he will not go where we go…one guy has a flapless PA12 with a 135 and it does well…what gear does it have…time on motor…0290D2 has a 1500 TBO I believe…

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J5Ron View Post
    I have no 170 experience…but a friend has a 180hp 170 B and he will not go where we go…one guy has a flapless PA12 with a 135 and it does well…what gear does it have…time on motor…0290D2 has a 1500 TBO I believe…
    It's got the stock gear whats involved in swapping to the 18? Yea motor has over 1k hours on it, I was thinking to find a 320 core and rebuild it over the summer and swap in for Fall hunting.

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of the country are you going to be flying in? How rough and how short of strips? If you put a big motor and 29 in bushwheels on a 170 they are great performers. especially with a sportsman cuff. Upgrading power on either plane is going to cost a lot better to find a plane with the engine you want to start with.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen impressive performance from a few 145hp 170Bs. Of course the performance declines with added load but that applies to a 135hp -12, too.

Beware of what's underneath 8 year old clothing on a 75 year old airplane. You'd be better off spending your money on one that's already rebuilt like you want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Stewart. Unless you have really precise knowledge of what all was done during that recover…..be careful.

Second, upgrading engines isn’t cheap, no matter the aircraft.

I owned a 52 170B for years. Plane was on its second O-360 when I bought it. Previous owner was a guy named Graham Mower, an old timer. He did appraisals for insurance companies. Which means, when someone crashed, Mower would fly out there, land and provide estimates of repairs/salvage.

During the time I owned that plane, I was approached by several pilots who said they’d seen that plane parked in places they couldn’t figure out where he’d landed.

If I were you (and obviously that ain’t happening) and if that 170 were in generally good condition, I’d figure out how to get an O-360 installed. Those things really rock, and they’ll haul a load.

Do you have a spouse/girlfriend, or? Have they ever flown in the back seat of a tandem plane? That can be a tough place. Right front seat is MUCH friendlier.

It really depends on how hard core you’re going to get as to LZs. A pilot who is really handy with a 180 hp 170B can do most of what the vast majority of Super Cub guys do.

And a PA-12 is NOT a Super Cub.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between, in performance, between a super cub and a PA-12 with the same engines, flaps etc.? I always wondered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say at 4000' MSL, about, but no more than 100' take off and landing, 5 mph and $50,000
    Staying alive in an airplane has a lot more to do with mastering ourselves than mastering the aircraft.
    Likes BC12D-4-85, gisli liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awfully generous. My guess is that it takes the 12 about twice as long to get off, but once off, it is at least 10 mph faster.
    Take that with a grain of salt - my 12 time is quite limited, all at sea level, and a pretty ratty 150 hp.
    I love Cubs and 180s, and would not give you a fig for the 170 or the -12. The 170 might be ok with 180 c/s and 180 style flaps.
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    What is the difference between, in performance, between a super cub and a PA-12 with the same engines, flaps etc.? I always wondered.
    Google search: PA12 vs PA18 site:supercub.org
    Many threads on the subject.
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...istics-Vs-PA18
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    That's awfully generous. My guess is that it takes the 12 about twice as long to get off, but once off, it is at least 10 mph faster.
    Take that with a grain of salt - my 12 time is quite limited, all at sea level, and a pretty ratty 150 hp.
    I love Cubs and 180s, and would not give you a fig for the 170 or the -12. The 170 might be ok with 180 c/s and 180 style flaps.
    Bob,
    Actually, Cessna 180 flaps are Cessna 170B flaps……the first plane with the Para Lift flaps.

A 180 Hp 170B, kept light, is an amazing performer.

MTV
    Likes Pete Schoeninger, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    170B, 172, 180, 182, 185- same wing as far as area and flaps go. As gross goes up power goes up. Wing loading and power loading. Find your happy place.

PA-12 and PA-18- once flaps are added they’re essentially the same wing. AOI favors Cubs and ailerons favor -12s. Internal vs external cables doesn’t matter much to the guy at the controls. The biggest takeaway the average pilot will notice is they have a different view out the front due to the AOI.

I like figs.
    Likes CamTom12, AZinAK, RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I own both types currently. The stock 170B with Sportsman STOL gets off the ground incredibly quickly with lots of control. Completely benign in all phases of flight. The cuff is amazing. PA-12 definitely takes more runway on takeoff. It may be a little shorter on landing, but not much. I’ve never flown a -12 with flaps so have no opinion on that. If I was gonna operate in and out of rough places I’d want the PA-12. It’s just more solid all around. My -12 cruises about 105 mph with 8.00s. The 170 is 110-112 with 8.50s. It’s a toss up unless you need the extra hauling room of the 170. Plus I can fly the 170 IFR if I need to. 170 is more comfortable. Right now a good -12 will cost around $60+/-. 170Bs are bringing quite a bit more. Mine would probably bring $100k. Good luck finding a 180hp 170B for less than $130k. A good one costs that much or more because there ain’t many to be had. Building one costs even more.
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad has a 180hp sportsman STOL 170B with a C/S prop and probably more importantly for the rough stuff - 180 gear legs. If flying with a load is a consideration for you at all I would look pretty close at upgrading the 170. It can haul so much more than the -12 and if the load includes people, they'll be a lot more comfortable too.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now is probably the only time in the 50 plus years I've been flying that I seriously believe you could purchase a decent (no show queen, plus high time motor) stock 170B and convert it to a Lycoming O-360 or a Continental IO-360 and sell it for what you have in it, or more.

I know of a really, REALLY nice 170B with a Lycoming that sold for north of $200K a while back. Good, stock 170Bs with run out engines can be had for $60ish. Those prices are going up too, though.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn’t the correct answer both? It seems like no two 170 or -12 is set up the same, so an apples to apples comparison might be difficult. A 170 will probably have the legal useful load edge over a 12 properly set up for real off airport flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also like them both but the values have moved them out of my price range - in fact I find it hard to get my head around prices asked an obtained for 18’s, 12’s 170’s and so on. So I have a tricked out Piper J-5/PA-12 hybrid I fly right now with 160 hp for fun, and a PA-28B with 250 hp for when I want to go places with a load. I am still fixing what I regard as the ultimate Taylorcaft - an Auster J/5G with 4 seats and an all up weight of 2450lbs. Those are to be had for about $30k and can accept a O-360 - seem like the best bang for buck out there.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    'There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty".
    Margaret Thatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    We are simply running out of older airplanes that are safe for further flight. There's lots of "deals" offered but with questionable history and airworthiness. Get what you want now. Yes as owners age about many will continue to be be for sale, but with inflation will your dollars keep up with asking prices? I'd own a C-170-175 before a fabric plane at a similar price.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    An Auster? Oh, my goodness. I flew one out of a UK field 50+ years ago. One of those huge fields where you could takeoff into the wind in any direction. But what I remember most vividly was that when you looked left or right you looked directly into the wing root. Thanks for bringing back the memory. Maybe I can’t remember what I had for dinner yesterday, but the mind gives up a plethora of amazing memories of aeronautica from many years ago.
    Likes silflexer, Pete Schoeninger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You must be a bit taller than I am, my eyeline when seated in the Auster is under the wing but not as far under as a PA-12. Still, 4 seats, 1000lb useful load and cheap to buy it makes me wonder why they get such short shrift in US circles.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    'There can be no liberty unless there is economic liberty".
    Margaret Thatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious what powerplant in the Auster?
    The only ones I've seen were (as I recall) three seaters--
    two up front & one in back (with a swivelling observer seat?).