Thread: Amphib Mirror

Post Thanks / Like

Amphib Mirror

What are yawl using for a gear check mirror for a Cub on amphibs? The only one I saw that has possibilities fits a Cessna inspection panel. Amazon search turned up an obnoxious amount bathroom vanity mirrors…

Sikorsky

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on your floats. Some of them have openings in the top deck through which you can see the gear. Some you can see the nose gear directly. Some have a physical indicator which sticks up and is easily seen from the cockpit.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t trust ANY gear position indicators installed on floats.

Go to NAPA Aviation parts store in town. Look for a stick on convex mirror about4-5 inches in diameter. These are designed as wide angle stick ones that attach to your cars/trucks larger side view mirrors.

Buy two. Now, at the airport, do a little fabrication to attach those mirrors to…..maybe jury struts, or wherever they give the pilot a view of both gears on each side. I wouldn’t attach to inspection covers, might be too much vibration, but might be worth a try. A mounting clamp for video camera on horizontal jury struts, might work. Takes some experimentation.

on Cessnas, it’s easy to bend up a piece of sheet metal and attach to an inspection cover. In that case, sometimes you can actually see all four gears in iPhone mirror. Probably won’t work with a Cub.

Two major advantages of mirrors: First, you can actually verify the actual position of the gear, vs the position of an indicator (like those short cables that stick up out of float deck).

And second, mirrors require you to physically turn your head and focus on that small mirror’s image. That is a lot harder to mistake that a horn or lights.

In case you hadn’t guessed, I’m a big fan of mirrors.

MTV
    Thanks Poor Joe thanked for this post
    Likes stid2677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Airplane is an Exp J3 on Baumann amphibs. I can see the front gear when retracted. Mains have the wire indicating position, but I want visual of mains. Redundant check but also want the info should there be a gear malfunction. That’s not the time to be guessing, or buzzing someone for info. When one has a problem, the less people involved the better!!!! I’ll make a pass through the auto parts store. Just didn’t know if there was a, “oh, this part number with this blah blah blah.”

Many thanks.

Sik

Post Thanks / Like

Amphib Mirror

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1650239650.680196.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	60940
    Two stick on mirrors on the floats allow me to see the main gear on the opposite float. I can see the nose fear from the pilots seat.
    PK floats on a Husky.

yusheng 2PCS Non-adjustable Large Stick-on Convex Blind Spot Mirror,3.75" HD Glass Big Round Convex Rear View Mirror,Strong Adhesive Mirror for Car, Van, SUV and Trucks (3-3/4"(95mm), Frameless) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HMJVZX1...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes stid2677, Sikorsky, Olibuilt, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I stick a griptite ziptie on the arm of each front tire arm, I can see the tails of the ziptie on the fronts to confirm up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill- I liKe that idea a LOT! I never thought about that location. This community is really remarkable.

Many thanks.

Sikorsky

Post Thanks / Like
    A tip when viewing the gear in the mirror: If you are finding it a bit difficult to be certain of what you are seeing, bank the airplane so that the float you are looking at in the mirror is above the horizon. Then you can see the gear more clearly against the sky background.

Another tip which may or may not apply to your particular floats: When a landing gear has a scissor linkage which moves over center to lock into position, there is a slight reversal in the gear motion as the scissor moves beyond center. If you are watching the gear as it moves, you can see this slight reversal of direction. This is a confirmation of the gear being safely down.
    N1PA
    Likes Sikorsky, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another option.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220418_202946689.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	60952
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Clamar Floats in Brunswick maine makes a really nifty mirror and mount that clamps to the jury strut. They are really nicely done,, but they are pretty proud of them at $150 a pair
    I put a couple of them on the jury strut that I took off my new toyota forklift. the one on the left wing lets me see the right float.
    Bill Brines setup is pretty simple and effective
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Clamar Floats in Brunswick maine makes a really nifty mirror and mount that clamps to the jury strut. They are really nicely done,, but they are pretty proud of them at $150 a pair
    I put a couple of them on the jury strut that I took off my new toyota forklift. the one on the left wing lets me see the right float.
    Bill Brines setup is pretty simple and effective
    jim
    Don’t order if you want to get them within a year. That’s how long it took to get them. Pretty simple aluminum bent 90 deg and you have to find your own clamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, there are lots of viable options for attaching things to struts. Look at camera mounts to start.

Mounting to inside of float MAY work IF you can actually see that from pilots seat.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I use mirrors from the Bike shop that are lightweight and seem to work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboflying View Post
    I use mirrors from the Bike shop that are lightweight and seem to work well.
    Thanks for this tip,, bought a 10 dollar pair from Amazon, they are strap on. I added a grip lock ziptie to each. Took a nice flight today and they stayed in place and were rock solid. They are cheap plastic, but they exceeded my expectations, very light too.