• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Auto gas stc

OVEREASYGUY

SPONSOR
New Gloucester, Maine
My pa-18 has an stc for autogas.
engine was overhauled & I assume the stc remains.
Recently I put a new carburetor on. Does that change anything? Are new carburetors built to withstand ethanol?

When they say I have stc for auto gas does that mean gas with ethanol is ok? I’m going on floats this summer & built a super cool fuel trailer. I’d love to be able to run Autogas from the local gas station.
your advice would be greatly appreciated.
cliff dow jr in maine
54ME cliff dow airport
dow.us

Screenshot_20220411-104749.png

I've burned over 1000 gl of ethanol mogas. Half of it untreated. If your stuck and have to buy it use it up as fast as you can, if it sits it will absorb water and loose BTUs. Best thing is to carry the Startron and treat it when you buy it.

Glenn

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220411-104749.png
    Screenshot_20220411-104749.png
    230.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Read the STC. Pretty sure it will EXCLUDE the use of ethanol fuels. It is in great big letter on the Peterson website. DO NOT USE FUELS CONTAINING MOONSHINE (ethanol)

Read the STC.
The EAA STC I for my C180 (EAA) says "do not use fuel that contains alcohol" about 4 times in the installation instructions.
And the required placard adjacent to the fuel caps says that.
As I recall, the Petersen STC that I had for a previous airplane has similar language.
From the EAA STC:
EAA stc.jpg

Attachments

• EAA stc.jpg
    EAA stc.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 210
If your stuck and have to buy it use it up as fast as you can, if it sits it will absorb water and loose BTUs.
Sealing the vent off with bread wrapper plastic and the twist tie helps keep moist air from coming and going. A small balloon would work too.

Read the STC.
The EAA STC I for my C180 (EAA) says "do not use fuel that contains alcohol" about 4 times in the installation instructions.

My EAA STC says the same thing. Even sent a little jug with instructions on how to test to see if ethanol is in the fuel.

My EAA STC says the same thing. Even sent a little jug with instructions on how to test to see if ethanol is in the fuel.

EVERY EAA STC will say the same thing. No ethanol is allowed (or any form of alcohol for that matter).

To the OP's original question, if you rebuilt the same engine to the factor specification your STC will still apply. And as long as the replacement carburetor is the stock spec, you're good. (No rubber tip float needles though!)

If you replace the engine with a different serial number (and you have the EAA STC) you need to notify EAA of the serial number change, and have a new Form 337 filled out by your mechanic to apply the STC to the new engine. This assumes that the replacement engine is the same stock specification as the engine that the STC was originally applied to.

.......If you replace the engine with a different serial number (and you have the EAA STC) you need to notify EAA of the serial number change, and have a new Form 337 filled out by your mechanic to apply the STC to the new engine. This assumes that the replacement engine is the same stock specification as the engine that the STC was originally applied to.

I went through this a couple airplanes back.
Can't recall if I had the EAA STC or the Petersen,
but the deal was that they issued a new STC for the new engine s/n.
They charged me the difference between the old price (buck a horsepower) and the new buck and a half).

I went through this a couple airplanes back.
Can't recall if I had the EAA STC or the Petersen,
but the deal was that they issued a new STC for the new engine s/n.
They charged me the difference between the old price (buck a horsepower) and the new buck and a half).

Must have been Petersen, because we didn't do it that way at EAA. I handled all the fulfillment for EAA Auto Fuel STCS for the last 3 years of my employment there (I retired this past June), so I know the process. A simple serial number change was no cost. The only time new STC paperwork was issued was when the STC had been originally purchased before 2004 (when the FAA updated EAA's STCs, which resulted in new STC numbers) And even then, it was just a $40 update fee, not the full price of the STC.

...A simple serial number change was no cost. The only time new STC paperwork was issued was when the STC had been originally purchased before 2004 (when the FAA updated EAA's STCs, which resulted in new STC numbers) And even then, it was just a $40 update fee, not the full price of the STC.

I looked in my old notes, here's more details:
the airplane (C150) had been issued a mogas STC back in the day.
It had since been upgraded to a 150hp Lycoming-- so not a simple s/n change.
I bought it in 2008.
I wanted all the paperwork squared away, so I called the STC holder (still not convinced it was Petersen),
to get a mogas STC for the new engine.
I was charged the $75 difference between what was paid originally (100hp x $1 = $100)
and what the current charge would be (150hp x $1.50 = $225).

I looked in my old notes, here's more details:
the airplane (C150) had been issued a mogas STC back in the day.
It had since been upgraded to a 150hp Lycoming-- so not a simple s/n change.
I bought it in 2008.
I wanted all the paperwork squared away, so I called the STC holder (still not convinced it was Petersen),
to get a mogas STC for the new engine.
I was charged the $75 difference between what was paid originally (100hp x $1 = $100)
and what the current charge would be (150hp x $1.50 = $225).

That sounds about right. Not just a simple engine swap, but completely different make/model of engine (and more horsepower). I'm pretty sure both EAA and Petersen would handle that situation in the same manner.

Back