• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help with 15 pin HD DSub

frequent_flyer

Arizona, USA
I'm installing a Garmin GPS 175 IFR GPS in my FX-3 Carbon Cub. I created the interconnect drawings, thought I had all the parts and supplies, and was more than half way through fabricating the custom wiring harness. However, just ran into a problem that has stopped me in my tracks.

The GPS 175 will interface with the Garmin GTX 345R remote transponder for ADS-B data. That requires a 15 pin HD DSub connector to be added to the GTX 345R tray. Garmin only seems to list the complete connector kit and I don't need that, just the 15 pin connector and shell. I ordered a 15 pin HD DSub from Aircraft Spruce but just found out this morning that standard HD pins (orange, blue, black) will not fit this corrector body. This connector body requires 22 DF open barrel pins which I did not know when I purchased it.

I'm back to square one with this connector. My options seem to be:

Purchase 22 DF pins and have an oddball connector on the aircraft
Find a 15 pin HD body that is compatible with standard HD pins
Try to find a source for half of the Garmin tray connector kit

Not sure I'm really expecting an answer. Perhaps just venting a little frustration.

Andy

J3252? Sockets and not pins? Web

A moment of panic in which I wondered how I could have screwed that up. However, I had done my research and that included taking photos of the LRU connectors and the existing tray connector. Looking at the photos now. The LRU rear chassis connectors are marked J3251 and J3252 and both are female pins. The tray photo shows the connector mounting plate is marked P3252. P3251 marking is obscured but that connector is clearly male pins.

Garmin documentation is sometimes confusing (or maybe just wrong).

Andy

Just to verify; you need a 15 position, three row, high density d-sub, with pins (not sockets). I have these for the machined contacts, so if that works for you, PM me a shipping address.

Web

Just to verify; you need a 15 position, three row, high density d-sub, with pins (not sockets). I have these for the machined contacts, so if that works for you, PM me a shipping address.

Web

Yes, confirmed. I'll send you a PM. Thanks for the help!

Andy

Back