• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aircraft Recognition

bcone1381

PATRON
Michigan
A trove of aircraft photos somehow fell into my lap. I don want them, but someone might. It looks like a professional photographer from the 1960's or 70's took them maybe at an early EAA national convention. Does anyone know what this one is?
Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.43.04 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.43.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.43.04 AM.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 163
Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.36.18 PM.png
That has a nacelle like a P-36, but the gear on this photo does not twist as it retracts like internet photos I see of the P-36.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.36.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.36.18 PM.png
    555.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Web That helped. Seversky P-35...about 1935. First all metal single seat pursuit aircraft. Seversky became Republic in 1939. First time hearing about Seversky for me.

The first photo is most likely a Republic AT-12 Guardsman, which is a 2 seat version of the Seversky P-35. Alexander Kartveli was the chief designer for Seversky and you can see the direct linage from the P-35 to the P-43 Lancer and the P-47 Thunderbolt. The Guardsman is a little longer with extended wings, built for export with 1 sole remaining example that I know of. It's owned by the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino CA. There is a restored example of a P-35 in the NMUSAF in Dayton OH. I've been there and seen it.

Boy, those two are real similar.

I'm keeping an open mind, but for now sticking with the P-35. This is due in part because Wikipedia showed the P-35 being used by Sweadis air force, and the making by the left tires (that you can't read from the photo but I can from my original 12x16" photo) is in the Swedish language..... tire pressure for aircraft servicing. Also, the canopies are very similar on the two and I see only a canopy that slides back only for the front seat...no other access that I can see for a rear seat.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.31.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.31.41 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.31.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.31.31 AM.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.31.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 8.31.41 AM.png
    31 KB · Views: 868
If I had to say, it sure looks like N914K but I never saw it in those colors, and without a front cockpit. Sure looks like a Bird with a Lycoming installed.

Sorry, I accidentally deleted my earlier post when I tried to edit it.
The dark biplane looks like a Brunner-Winkle Bird with a much larger Wright engine. The paint looks like it's from the 60's or 70's, like the age of your photos. I believe it could be NC914V, which still has the larger engine and I can find photos from that side showing a match on the cowling details. The newer paint scheme is different though.

The other 2 biplanes are already identified so I won't say anything about those.

I still think the Seversky is the AT-12 Guardsman, which was made for export to Sweden. Only 2 of those 50 or so ordered made it there and the rest were impounded in 1940 and sent to US AAC bases. This AT-12 ended up at Lowery Field in CO and was restored at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino CA. It's still airworthy I believe. I also believe there were some cowing changes over the years, mainly covering up the nose gun ports. I found a recent inflight photo showing the ports covered.

There are 3 P-35 survivors that I can find. One is restored and is in a museum in Sweden. One was in Sweden and was shipped to the US in 1971, it ended up at the Weeks Museum in FL, and is being restored. The third was in an aviation maintenance school in MN and then was bought by Chuck Doyle, a well known pilot in MN. I don't believe it was ever flyable after the war. It was restored and traded to the USAF in about '69 or so, and now sits in the NMUSAF in Dayton OH.
I wish I could post a photo but I don't think SC.org will let my because I'm not a paying member.

Regarding the Bird, Thanks for the help. I'll send out this photo I have to the owner of N914V.

What are your thoughts on the P-35 vs AT-12 when comparing these? It looks to me like the AT-12 has larger dimensions than my photo between the LE of the wing and the cowl flaps.
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.38.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.38.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.45.49 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.38.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.38.41 PM.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 760
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.38.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.38.28 PM.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.45.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 1.45.49 PM.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 764
The glass is the key. The pic in post #1 shows 'short' glass, so I'd still say P-35. Compare the two side pics and note the number of glass panels on the side of each canopy. They also make for an interesting ampib!

Web

Attachments

• P-35.jpg
    P-35.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 695
  • AT-12.jpg
    AT-12.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 713
  • sev-2pa-a.jpg
    sev-2pa-a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 114
Your photo comparison between the two makes a compelling argument. I just have a hard time trying to think of a place post war where a P-35 could be on a ramp with a P-38 in the background. It's too bad the photographer didn't write the place and date on the backs of the photos.
I've been a long time fan of the Seversky's P-35 and the Curtiss P-36 fighters. I think they're great looking planes from the pre-war monoplane era.
Seversky's won 1st place the '37, 1st and 2nd place in the '38 and 1st again in the '39 Bendix races, flown by Jackie Cochran and Frank Fuller. Jimmy Doolittle flew a special Seversky ordered for Shell Oil in '37.
In '38 a Seversky was in the movie 'Test Pilot' with Clark Gable, the movie has other classic aircraft throughout. Some of this info is from my Seversky book, 'Sever The Sky'.

Do you want the photo Jim? If so I can send it to you. Its 11x14. My goal in this is to get the photos to folks who have an interest. If you don't take it it will be sent to the owner of a P-35A in Florida....that might be Kermit Weeks. That is the only one registered in the USA right now.

The P-35 is roped off as if its on display at an airshow. Based on some of the other photos I was wondering if some of these might be from early EAA conventions.

The glass is the key. The pic in post #1 shows 'short' glass, so I'd still say P-35. Compare the two side pics and note the number of glass panels on the side of each canopy. They also make for an interesting ampib!

Web

Web,

That may not be an amphib. That may be "beaching gear", used to get the seaplane into and out of the water, or not.

MTV

Good point. Does anyone still do that anymore? Or have all the operators gone to trailers/forklifts?

Web

Interesting paint scheme; the emblem on the fuselage is for the 17th Pursuit Squadron (Snow Owls) in that time frame ...

They also make for an interesting ampib!
attachment.php

Web

Web,

That may not be an amphib. That may be "beaching gear", used to get the seaplane into and out of the water, or not.

MTV
I've seen pictures of that plane in some EDO literature. If you look closely the main wheel is in the center of the float, not beaching gear. The land plane tail wheel is used for land landings which is why the floats are lifted at the tails. I believe the floats move down for water landings, raising the main wheel and changing the angle of the floats. Notice what appears to be a hydraulic strut where a rear strut would be located.

Good point. Does anyone still do that anymore? Or have all the operators gone to trailers/forklifts?

Web

Katmai Air uses beaching gear for their straight floated Otter. Beachers are available for their Beavers also. In the Bush at their lodges, a dedicated float mover may not be available for float repairs and such, but beaching gear can be hauled by any of the fleet to the necessary location. The Otter in the photo goes in the hangar on the beachers and lives out the winter on them.

Attachments

• 0BF8A692-CC91-4A5F-A6C0-D48ADE562980.jpg
    0BF8A692-CC91-4A5F-A6C0-D48ADE562980.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 63
here is another style of “clamp on” stern wheels. Of course, its in a museum

Attachments

• 697DB89E-04D9-4C9E-97FA-B07DCD18C56F.jpg
    697DB89E-04D9-4C9E-97FA-B07DCD18C56F.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 67
I've seen pictures of that plane in some EDO literature. If you look closely the main wheel is in the center of the float, not beaching gear. The land plane tail wheel is used for land landings which is why the floats are lifted at the tails. I believe the floats move down for water landings, raising the main wheel and changing the angle of the floats. Notice what appears to be a hydraulic strut where a rear strut would be located.

I wonder what aircraft design might have taken place if WWII had not changed the course of aviation.

Web

I wonder what aircraft design might have taken place if WWII had not changed the course of aviation.

Web
If the general public only knew what EDO put on floats over the years. I've seen a lot of it in pictures and know there is a lot I haven't seen. They were on Long Island NY which was the birthplace of a lot of aviation history.

Back