• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fresno?

NunavutPA-12

FRIEND
67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
No, I'm not moving to California just yet!

I can't find the thread, but a few weeks back someone posted about finding a strange piece of abandoned equipment and wondering what it was. I found this photo of excavation work being done on an airstrip in southern Canada about 90-years ago. Apparently, the piece is called a Fresno or Fresnoe.

The picture makes it obvious how it was used.
fresnouse.jpg

Attachments

• fresnouse.jpg
    fresnouse.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
My dad and I used a Fresno to dig out a hillside for our new house in 1960. No horses though, only a little Fordson tractor!

My dad and I used a Fresno to dig out a hillside for our new house in 1960. No horses though, only a little Fordson tractor!

I patched terraces with one on on a Ford tractor when I was a kid...my boss called it a tumble bug..

Believe it or not, you could still find a variant of the Fresno scoop at New Holland dealers up until just a few years ago. Maybe still at older dealerships, under the Ford name from when Ford owned New Holland. They had a trip handle the driver could reach but still a tip over scoop and they sold pretty well at the time.
Even though I worked for a New Holland dealer once, I never could find out why it was called a Fresno, even asked a dealer in Fresno, CA. That was all more energy than the answer was worth to me.

Ken

Back