Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missouri Breaks (Winifred) 2022 June 24-25-26

Post Thanks / Like
    The time to dry strips has a lot of variables associated….amount and duration of rain, temps after rain…..in past, Ralph has given us at least a best estimate if not a pirep on strip condition a little closer to the event.

The hangar is available. We’ve had 20+ planes in there during a thunderstorm. You’ll be able to park there Thursday. I would ALWAYS carry tie downs when traveling, in any case…..you never know where you might wind up, so be prepared.

Ralph will have to answer questions on fuel, but he’s said that fuel will be available. There is also fuel available in Lewistown, where Saturday breakfast is, only about thirty miles from Winifred.

People camp along side the runway with their planes, and some set up their tents inside the hangar. Totally up to you.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey friends, I picked up a nasty bug this week and have to cancel my plans to come out this weekend. I haven't seen many of you guys in several years and I'm really bummed. I hope you kids have a wonderful time and a safe fly-in. I might just have my own little celebration up there in a couple of weeks after this all passes.

Somebody spill a tablespoon of ice cream on the pad in front of the hangar for your homies who can't make it.

See ya 'round the patch!
    Likes Colorguns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soyAnarchisto View Post
    Hey friends, I picked up a nasty bug this week and have to cancel my plans to come out this weekend. I haven't seen many of you guys in several years and I'm really bummed. I hope you kids have a wonderful time and a safe fly-in. I might just have my own little celebration up there in a couple of weeks after this all passes.

Somebody spill a tablespoon of ice cream on the pad in front of the hangar for your homies who can't make it.

See ya 'round the patch!
    We’ll miss ya, but a big THANKS for not sharing that nasty bug. Hopefully, it’ll pass soon and you’ll be back in the saddle!

MTV
    Likes soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you guys and gals post some pictures of your adventures up there
    Likes cubscout, Colorguns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a fun adventure, even if it was only Thursday evening and Friday morning in the breaks. This was my first camping trip with an airplane and I learned quite a bit. Although I was expecting a quiet night in Winifred on Thursday (with the "real" fly-in to start on Friday) it turned out I met a ton of great folks on Thursday.

Thursday sunset at Winifred:

As a storm was passing off to the south:

Even felt comfortable enough to land at Cow Creek, so you know, <s> I'm like a real bush pilot now... </s>

Pretty spectacular views looking off the end of Cow Creek:

I mostly just enjoyed flying around some gorgeous country, and was amazed at how short some of these strips were. I think I even said out loud how could anyone land there?

Saw lots of floaters on Friday morning, even a few breaking camp.

Just gorgeous scenery all around:

I definitely had a great time up here, the Winifred strip and airport is fantastic, and I'll be back for more exploring!
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes cubscout, Kid Durango, WWhunter, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    how do you know where you can and can't land without getting in trouble with the owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfarmer View Post
    how do you know where you can and can't land without getting in trouble with the owner
    There are marked strips on the sectional.

Other people more knowledgeable than I may know differently, but on BLM land, I think that if a pilot wanted to, a pilot could land on any road. My guess would be that they prefer pilots stick to marked strips, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to those involved that put the Winifred fly-in on again after a couple year hiatus (Ralph, Bob and Lou). And to the LWT MPA crew for the pancake breakfast. Ben and I got to meet some new friends and see some that I've known for a long time.

I hope Chip and Glenn and Mrs. Glenn are having a smooth ride home to Vermont. It was nice to meet you folks finally.

Ben got a chance to look at a lot of airplane types and received good advice from a lot of pilots who were all in his shoes at one point.

And Ralph, we're all a bit envious of your new airport home!
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes WindOnHisNose, SJ, WWhunter, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks to all who made this event possible. It was a terrific time, well worth the long flight from Minnesota! It was so nice to meet a few people who I have interacted with on Supercub.org and to put a face with a name, and nice to see many friends who shared the experience with me.

Ralph, I know from personal experience that events like this don't just happen. They take a great deal of planning and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Randy
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, Bill Rusk, spinner2, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One more great Missouri Breaks Fly In is in the history books! A good time was had by all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D3DDA8E-01FD-4B9D-BB96-57F710B7426C.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	61557

Name:	F784D9CD-7C3F-435E-BC9B-534D74A93E47.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	61558

Name:	AECAA118-C784-433C-9867-C32B89ADBE05.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	61559

Name:	122E34A4-2E2C-4DFA-AB5C-0568DF42BD7D.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	61560

Name:	AE960F9D-8B28-4168-BAAF-E384446B6355.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	61561

MTV
    Thanks soyAnarchisto thanked for this post
    Likes spinner2, WWhunter, cubscout, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks to Norm, Ralph, Frank, Lou, Mike and all involved. Especially the wonderful town of Winifred. What a special aviation treat. I’m already dreaming of next year. Thanks for showing us how to make ice cream the old fashion way Bob!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have made it except for a very late in the day Friday crane job, and a very early Monday job, looked like great weather. I am buying another 30 acres below my current 40 acres to prolong my airstrip's viability as this area gets discovered and gets bought up, so don't feel too sorry for me, missing Bob's ice cream though is the worst.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Vivion, that's a really nice pic of a purty C-175TD. Do I get extra points as a plane spotter? . I know 'this guy' with a '58 C-175 with the tailwheel on the wrong end, with a very similar paint scheme. Too bad he didn't make it to Missouri Breaks this year, which would have caused lots of confusion, but that's my own darn fault. Lots of great pix this year from all.

Thanks. cubscout
    Likes soyAnarchisto liked this post