• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Missouri Breaks (Winifred) 2022 June 24-25-26

Heres the poster for the pancake breakfast in Lewistown during the Missouri Breaks Fly In:

850AF0A0-35CC-440B-85E2-74E88C160B11.jpeg

See you there!

MTV

Attachments

• 850AF0A0-35CC-440B-85E2-74E88C160B11.jpeg
    850AF0A0-35CC-440B-85E2-74E88C160B11.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 74
Below from Denton, November 30 2021. That time of year we should be shoveling snow...not putting out fires traveling on 70 mph winds. It has been a terrifying fire year for me. It would be great to go to Denton, that is, however a very small cafe. We can plan and work something out. See Photo.Denton Fire.jpeg

Attachments

• Denton Fire.jpeg
    Denton Fire.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 85
Another reminder for folks considering joining us at the Missouri Breaks:

Missouri Breaks Poster.jpg

MTV

Attachments

• Missouri Breaks Poster.jpg
    Missouri Breaks Poster.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Thanks to Mike Vivion for the Poster. Also, we can all repeatedly thank the Montana Pilots Assn for Friday's dinner....some of Frank Carr's ("Master of the Pit") smoking-best work. Pie man (see Galen Hanselman's review of Winifred) is doing his best to provide as well. I have reposted from last year below for first time attendees....and I reran the little poem about the new bathroom- it simply didn't get enough recognition. Norman Asbjornson will be here again and hopefully we can get him to let us into the school were we are seeing what a generous man can do to help his small home community with a massive infusion of money for education.

Below is rerun:
[h=2]For First Time Attendees[/h]
Winifred is a town of about 150 august folks. After 100 plus years of stasis, Winifred is rapidly changing as we speak. A fellow pilot, and good friend of many of the attendees to this flyin,has donated 40 million dollars to refurbish/build on to the school. His instructions were simple..." Build in Winifred, the best school in Montana", and we are. My little house was one of the victims of the expansion, Melissa who taught there for 38 years, would have had it no other way. Construction has started...come see what one super-generous (and highly successful) individual can do for the place where he was born and raised. This story is sort of what Winifred is all about... it is a place where time has not spoiled the folks who are hardworking, honest, generous, and make a living working off the land. We also have one great cafe, one filling station, two churches and several bars. If it sounds too good to be true, just know I have had trouble believing it myself for the 45 years I have lived here. It is the way the world used to be, and we wish it still was.

Schedule of events to follow...but fairly standard.

Airstrips: 9S7 (Winifred Strip) is turf in good condition about 150' X 4000' running basically 10º - 28º. The strip rises uphill from the east to a smooth rise about 1000' from the west end where it becomes level. There is an embankment on the east end where there are frequently downdrafts in strong west wends. If wind conditions allow, land planes east to west. Down hill landings aren't bad...just a little longer than you are used to. Use 122.9 as the CTAF.

Breaks strips:
All 6 strips run generally E - W and are between 1200 - 3000'. The shortest is Woodhawk at ca. 1200' with some trees on each end. The longest is a private strip called Heller Bottom which is the only strip right on the Missouri River in the Breaks. While private, we are welcomed at Heller by Loren Smith the owner. Loren has also installed some picnic tables and a small one-roomed KOA type cabin (first come first served). Use 122.9 to announce in the backcountry and, while we consider these strips relative easy for backcountry fliers, we lost a C185 and Carbon Cub just this last year (no injuries). It is backcountry....always have your "A" game on and look to avoid surprises.

For repeat visitors:

After years of whining, completely without restraints,
Lou, someone of influence has heard your complaints,

Norm's giving did not end with the school,
he has provided pilots a place of elegance for the stool,

There is an all tile shower, and heat on demand,
A mirror, and towels, and comfy places to stand,

It was Lou's concept but Norm's chore to do,
Say thanks to these two while you shower or poo.

-Anon-

If anyone headed to JC or winifred from the east needs a place to overnight in NW South Dakota, feel free to camp at my place SD33 on the sectional, 5 miles south of Camp Crook, right along the Little Missouri River. Hangar space available if needed.

Roger and Mike; thanks to you and all that help with your backcountry volunteer work. Roger, Marcia/I are on our airplane/RV tour in the NW and will be in WA checking out rivers and San Juan islands. We're planning on stopping at Winifred mid July on our way back to CO; we'll keep you posted and hope to see you than since we missed you in AZ. OBTW, left Husky at home and bringing our new 56 182.
Jack

Quick PIREP: We finally got some rain so things are looking green....not Montana-in-the-spring green yet, but getting closer. More rain due in the next few days. Gas Pump is fixed but I will leave the NOTAM up a few more days just in case. We have two "Yoopers" camping in the hangar for the next couple of days while it snows in Johnson Creek and gets that out of its system. It must be flyin season and I look forward to seeing you all. Call with any questions... I'll be headed to JC on Wednesday, WX permitting. Ralph

Ahh, we can blame it on them durn Yoopers :) Said a a recovering Yooper, eh? And heck, I use to hang out with da' Yoopers band, once upon a time in a land far ago and long, long away...?

Thanks. cubscout

Hope to not jinx things but if the five-day weather outlook is to be believed, it certainly looks like this weekend will be lovely in central Montana.

A few questions from a first-time attendee:

• I presume it takes a day or two of sun and warm for the gumbo mud to dry out? So if the rain stops today, Winifred field and MO Breaks strips should be dry by Friday morning? (Likely no BC landings from me; just some low passes.)
  • I've seen elsewhere that hangar space is available on first-come, first-served basis. Will the hangar be available on Thursday night, too, or should I bring some earth anchors to tie down outside?
  • Fuel is available and card reader is working, or just the former? Either way about the card reader, it sounds like I can buy fuel in Winifred, given what I've read above and that the NOTAM expires on 6/22. What's your fuel rate these days?
  • Best place to set up a tent is just tucked away somewhere on the field (not the runway of course...)

The time to dry strips has a lot of variables associated….amount and duration of rain, temps after rain…..in past, Ralph has given us at least a best estimate if not a pirep on strip condition a little closer to the event.

The hangar is available. We’ve had 20+ planes in there during a thunderstorm. You’ll be able to park there Thursday. I would ALWAYS carry tie downs when traveling, in any case…..you never know where you might wind up, so be prepared.

Ralph will have to answer questions on fuel, but he’s said that fuel will be available. There is also fuel available in Lewistown, where Saturday breakfast is, only about thirty miles from Winifred.

People camp along side the runway with their planes, and some set up their tents inside the hangar. Totally up to you.

MTV

Hey friends, I picked up a nasty bug this week and have to cancel my plans to come out this weekend. I haven't seen many of you guys in several years and I'm really bummed. I hope you kids have a wonderful time and a safe fly-in. I might just have my own little celebration up there in a couple of weeks after this all passes.

Somebody spill a tablespoon of ice cream on the pad in front of the hangar for your homies who can't make it.

See ya 'round the patch!

Hey friends, I picked up a nasty bug this week and have to cancel my plans to come out this weekend. I haven't seen many of you guys in several years and I'm really bummed. I hope you kids have a wonderful time and a safe fly-in. I might just have my own little celebration up there in a couple of weeks after this all passes.

Somebody spill a tablespoon of ice cream on the pad in front of the hangar for your homies who can't make it.

See ya 'round the patch!

We’ll miss ya, but a big THANKS for not sharing that nasty bug. Hopefully, it’ll pass soon and you’ll be back in the saddle!

MTV

I had a fun adventure, even if it was only Thursday evening and Friday morning in the breaks. This was my first camping trip with an airplane and I learned quite a bit. Although I was expecting a quiet night in Winifred on Thursday (with the "real" fly-in to start on Friday) it turned out I met a ton of great folks on Thursday.

Thursday sunset at Winifred:

sIw7AZz.jpg

As a storm was passing off to the south:

APVxeCx.jpg

Even felt comfortable enough to land at Cow Creek, so you know, <s> I'm like a real bush pilot now... </s>

4va1ijU.jpg

Pretty spectacular views looking off the end of Cow Creek:

0lrgKPH.jpg

I mostly just enjoyed flying around some gorgeous country, and was amazed at how short some of these strips were. I think I even said out loud how could anyone land there?

8zFBIRP.jpg

Saw lots of floaters on Friday morning, even a few breaking camp.

CYl8TJN.jpg

Just gorgeous scenery all around:

oxW5zBn.jpg

I definitely had a great time up here, the Winifred strip and airport is fantastic, and I'll be back for more exploring!

how do you know where you can and can't land without getting in trouble with the owner

There are marked strips on the sectional.

Other people more knowledgeable than I may know differently, but on BLM land, I think that if a pilot wanted to, a pilot could land on any road. My guess would be that they prefer pilots stick to marked strips, though.

Thanks to those involved that put the Winifred fly-in on again after a couple year hiatus (Ralph, Bob and Lou). And to the LWT MPA crew for the pancake breakfast. Ben and I got to meet some new friends and see some that I've known for a long time.

I hope Chip and Glenn and Mrs. Glenn are having a smooth ride home to Vermont. It was nice to meet you folks finally.

Ben got a chance to look at a lot of airplane types and received good advice from a lot of pilots who were all in his shoes at one point.

And Ralph, we're all a bit envious of your new airport home!

Many thanks to all who made this event possible. It was a terrific time, well worth the long flight from Minnesota! It was so nice to meet a few people who I have interacted with on Supercub.org and to put a face with a name, and nice to see many friends who shared the experience with me.

Ralph, I know from personal experience that events like this don't just happen. They take a great deal of planning and your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Randy

One more great Missouri Breaks Fly In is in the history books! A good time was had by all!

3D3DDA8E-01FD-4B9D-BB96-57F710B7426C.jpg
F784D9CD-7C3F-435E-BC9B-534D74A93E47.jpg
AECAA118-C784-433C-9867-C32B89ADBE05.jpg
122E34A4-2E2C-4DFA-AB5C-0568DF42BD7D.jpg
AE960F9D-8B28-4168-BAAF-E384446B6355.jpg

MTV

Attachments

• 3D3DDA8E-01FD-4B9D-BB96-57F710B7426C.jpg
    3D3DDA8E-01FD-4B9D-BB96-57F710B7426C.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 124
  • F784D9CD-7C3F-435E-BC9B-534D74A93E47.jpg
    F784D9CD-7C3F-435E-BC9B-534D74A93E47.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 107
  • AECAA118-C784-433C-9867-C32B89ADBE05.jpg
    AECAA118-C784-433C-9867-C32B89ADBE05.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 122E34A4-2E2C-4DFA-AB5C-0568DF42BD7D.jpg
    122E34A4-2E2C-4DFA-AB5C-0568DF42BD7D.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 118
  • AE960F9D-8B28-4168-BAAF-E384446B6355.jpg
    AE960F9D-8B28-4168-BAAF-E384446B6355.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 119
Many thanks to Norm, Ralph, Frank, Lou, Mike and all involved. Especially the wonderful town of Winifred. What a special aviation treat. I’m already dreaming of next year. Thanks for showing us how to make ice cream the old fashion way Bob!

I would have made it except for a very late in the day Friday crane job, and a very early Monday job, looked like great weather. I am buying another 30 acres below my current 40 acres to prolong my airstrip's viability as this area gets discovered and gets bought up, so don't feel too sorry for me, missing Bob's ice cream though is the worst.

Mike Vivion, that's a really nice pic of a purty C-175TD. Do I get extra points as a plane spotter? :lol:. I know 'this guy' with a '58 C-175 with the tailwheel on the wrong end, with a very similar paint scheme. Too bad he didn't make it to Missouri Breaks this year, which would have caused lots of confusion, but that's my own darn fault. Lots of great pix this year from all.

Thanks. cubscout

Mike Vivion, that's a really nice pic of a purty C-175TD. Do I get extra points as a plane spotter? :lol:. I know 'this guy' with a '58 C-175 with the tailwheel on the wrong end, with a very similar paint scheme. Too bad he didn't make it to Missouri Breaks this year, which would have caused lots of confusion, but that's my own darn fault. Lots of great pix this year from all.

Thanks. cubscout

We’ll, there you go…..bring that machine to Winifred next year and we can park next to each other, and really turn heads!

Just got another dump of snow overnight and temps cratered, so will be looking forward to the Breaks Fly In as I shovel snow this morning!

MTV

Yup, big dump of snow last night with some wind has made for a brisk morning. No shoveling for me Mike, I wait for the neighbor to bring the tractor. Apparently looking old has some benefits.
IMG_3306.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 533
Yup, big dump of snow last night with some wind has made for a brisk morning. No shoveling for me Mike, I wait for the neighbor to bring the tractor. Apparently looking old has some benefits.
View attachment 63819

Dang, Bob, that’s good intel! I’ll start working on that “look” right away, but my neighbors are lazier than me….

Stay warm!

MTV

Back