• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A sad day for a fantastic pilot ends with a silver lining!

Iliamna Alaska

I got a call from our senior pilot at Bristol Bay Sportfishing lodge. For 40 years Blake Larue has made his living as a bush pilot, flying all over Alaska. The last 25 years he has flown Supercubs & Beavers on the Alaska Peninsula.

I have never met a safer pilot than Blake and was excited when Blake started flying with us. The clients that have gone on the bush flying safaris with him always come back to the lodge wide eyed & talking about the incredible things they saw. Every pilot that is with him on a flight tells me they admire his skill & knowledge.

Sad News
When I answered the phone Blake came right out and said what was on his mind

“Jerry I am hanging up my spurs and you need to find another beaver pilot for next season”

He said no problems with my health or medical it is just time after 40 years to slow down and enjoy my family.

This news was hard to swallow and a flood of emotions surged through me. I said that I will respect your decision but will miss you, then we both got choked up and had to end the call with the agreement that we would talk again soon. Realizing that I would not be working with Blake next summer made me extremely sad. Eventually it hit me that this was not a time for sadness.

Blake has had a successful 40-year career as an Alaskan bush pilot flying off airport in the harshest conditions that Alaska can dish out. He was the one making the decision for him to retire. That is the best thing that a pilot can hope for, a long successful career and that we are the one that decides when it is time to retire.

Time to Rejoice
A few days later Blake and I talked again. I will admit that call was still a little emotional for both of us. The end of a career for a fantastic pilot is sad. But then we agreed that Blake would stay current. In the Spring he would come to Iliamna and help train the new pilot. In addition, he would be a back up pilot should someone get sick or need a week off.

A Blessing for all
I am thankful for Blake’s safety and the safety for those who flew with him for the last 40 years. Good news I get to work part time with my friend, the lodge has a fantastic backup pilot. Blake gets to spend most of the summer with his family and still gets to fly a beaver in the wildest part of the Alaska Bush.

Jerry Jacques

Last edited:
Wow! I am gonna miss sitting around and shooting the **** with Blake at Crosswind lake. I would always come away with some pearl of flying wisdom after talking with him. If I was going to fly with a bush pilot based on looks alone it would be Blake, big bushy beard and greasy ass ball cap. After 40 years of flying up here a retirement is well deserved.

I only got to talk to him once or twice last summer. Willing to advise and help anyone.

We need to celebrate his long positive years and ability to move on with life!!

My best wishes to him, and to you finding the replacement pilot.

AKtango58
I have not quite got over the fact that Blake is not going to be with me full time.
I guess I am looking for a pilot to replace Blake. Thankfully Blake will help do the training so the transition will be smooth.

Jerry Jacques
www.bristol-bay.com

Last edited:
Jerry, thank you so much for this post. It is very timely for me, as I contemplate retiring from my infertility practice. You inspired me, and I appreciate you sharing your feelings and thoughts.

Randy

Jerry,

I have known you for a little over 20 years now and if there is one thing I have taken out of our relationship is that I highly respect your flying and the people you choose to fly for the lodge. If you say someone is a "damn good stick" then that guy is a "damn good stick" and you mean it.

So Blake, my hats off to you and enjoy the Alaskan life you deserve.. That many years flying in Alaska with an impeccable record for safety, its well deserved...

Brian.

I had the pleasure of flying the 2019 and 2020 seasons with Blake at Bristol Bay. As someone with limited Alaska time, I was always grateful for his nuggets of flying wisdom and second opinions/sanity checks. What an incredible achievement it is to have decades of safe flying in such a challenging and unforgiving environment. Equally impressive is his humility, integrity, discipline, and work ethic. He is a true role model not only as a pilot but as a human being. Plus, he cooks a great steak.

Congratulations on a hell of a career and a well-earned retirement, Blake!

Eren

As always - a thoughtful and insightful contemplation from Jerry. Glad Blake is heading out on a high note. Looking forward to seeing you guys in the spring.
Johnny

I got a call from our senior pilot at Bristol Bay Sportfishing lodge. For 40 years Blake Larue has made his living as a bush pilot, flying all over Alaska. The last 25 years he has flown Supercubs & Beavers on the Alaska Peninsula.

I have never met a safer pilot than Blake and was excited when Blake started flying with us. The clients that have gone on the bush flying safaris with him always come back to the lodge wide eyed & talking about the incredible things they saw. Every pilot that is with him on a flight tells me they admire his skill & knowledge.

Sad News
When I answered the phone Blake came right out and said what was on his mind

“Jerry I am hanging up my spurs and you need to find another beaver pilot for next season”

He said no problems with my health or medical it is just time after 40 years to slow down and enjoy my family.

This news was hard to swallow and a flood of emotions surged through me. I said that I will respect your decision but will miss you, then we both got choked up and had to end the call with the agreement that we would talk again soon. Realizing that I would not be working with Blake next summer made me extremely sad. Eventually it hit me that this was not a time for sadness.

Blake has had a successful 40-year career as an Alaskan bush pilot flying off airport in the harshest conditions that Alaska can dish out. He was the one making the decision for him to retire. That is the best thing that a pilot can hope for, a long successful career and that we are the one that decides when it is time to retire.

Time to Rejoice
A few days later Blake and I talked again. I will admit that call was still a little emotional for both of us. The end of a career for a fantastic pilot is sad. But then we agreed that Blake would stay current. In the Spring he would come to Iliamna and help train the new pilot. In addition, he would be a back up pilot should someone get sick or need a week off.

A Blessing for all
I am thankful for Blake’s safety and the safety for those who flew with him for the last 40 years. Good news I get to work part time with my friend, the lodge has a fantastic backup pilot. Blake gets to spend most of the summer with his family and still gets to fly a beaver in the wildest part of the Alaska Bush.

Jerry Jacques

Back