• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Routing and Securing Electrical Wires and Cables

musket

FRIEND
Baja Oklahoma
In reading AC 43.13-B, Section 8, para. 11-96b, it seems that securing battery cables to structural tubing under the floorboards and up the tubes behind the firewall with tye wraps / wire ties is a no-no -- is that an absolutely 'don't even think about it' rule? If one must use a metal stand-off of some type should one wrap vinyl (electrician's) tape around the tube to protect it from the metal stand off?

Thanks In Advance,
Andy

Look at this way. Any cable or wire installation needs to be for the life of the airplane. . With ceconite covering the aircraft may not get recovered for 30,40 even 50 years or longer. Cushion clamps AKA ADEL are for life. Have I used them,yes. But not where they can't be inspected or serviced.

For something as stiff as a cable, Adels are the best way to secure them. If you need to use a standoff, use nylon and not metal. If you need extra cushion around the wire/cable use silicone fusion tape.

Stay away from electricians tape. In a couple of seasons it will turn to goo and fall off.

Web

Thanks Guys, it's good to know I can depend on y'all to keep me on the straight and narrow ! I'll be using AN 742 clamps on the longeron / structural tubing to support Adels holding the battery cables -- expect it'll all last longer than me !!!

Tye wraps around steel tubing is a no go! I’ve seen the nylon the wraps eat right through the steel tubing. A little oil and grit and you have the ideal abrasive combination. AC43.13-1b Chapter 11 or the original manufacturers method is your guide. Piper used friction tape coated with shellac as the primary method for severing wiring. Look at the drawings!

Back