• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Where to start?

CenterHillAg

PATRON
Texas Coast
I’ve got a bone stock ‘56 182 that I’ve gone back and forth on selling, but after wringing it out earlier this week I think I’ll keep it and finally give it the updating it deserves. It’ll be used as an occasional traveler for my family of 4 and a parts hauler, lives on a grass strip and frequently goes into rough ag strips. I see the value in it more as an aerial pickup than a gentleman’s bush plane. It currently has the general appearance of a drug mule, old paint, a few panels that could use some attention, old Narco’s that work when they want, lightly updated interior with shoulder harnesses, and a strong running 470 with 1250 smoh in 1977. Things I’d like to do, in no certain order:

• Airglas nose fork and Cleveland double pucks, 8.50 mains and 8.00 nose
  • Norland 470 and MT 2 blade. Lack of cowl flaps has me concerned a P-Ponk would be too hot running in Texas
  • Simple VFR panel and engine monitor. I like the EI monitors I’ve flown behind, thinking that plus an AV-30 with the transponder control if it gets certified, and a Trig round hole radio
  • Sportsman STOL
  • Fix/replace a few airframe parts
  • Paint and new glass
  • Extended baggage and possibly folding rear seats

I've got a friend that’s willing and quite capable to do most of the work on the panel, address cowling issues or install a new one, install Sportsman, do the glass, and the landing gear work. The horizontal is a little beat up and could use a rebuild by a shop, as well as the paint being done by a shop. My question is where to start? I’m thinking Sportsman and gear first, fly it for a while and make sure everything is good and rigged. Once the engine is showing signs of getting tired, hang engine/prop and rework the panel at the same time. Once it’s squawk free, address airframe/cowling issues, install new glass and get it painted. I’m not looking to get it done immediately, rather develop a 5 year plan on rehabbing it while still being able to fly some. Am I tracking right or would anyone take a different route? Anything I should do differently or different suggestions for upgrades, and shop recommendations are welcome.

I recently had a customer come in with a similar idea about a 5 year plan. We initiated the first requests and talked him into including the tail work in phase 1. Phase II is a bit delayed since the tail needs were far more than he imagined. It looked good but we found a fair bit of wear, a lot of body filler and cracks. Always a good idea to be sure the airframe is a worthy platform for the mods.
Just an opinion.
I personally had an inappropriate affection for the Sportsman mod on a fairly modified C-175 I had, really turned it into a useful aircraft.
Ken

any work to do with skin, windows and structure BEFORE paint. That includes tail work.

I prefer the BAS folding seats over Atlee. Either are good. if this is a pickup, that is pretty important.

We all want to spend dollars on our bird, but one important thing is that if it does the job, are we making it better or different? Paint protects. Larger tires protect. Cowl flaps protect the engine. Fancy panel... my iPad gives me more info the most!

I flew a 185 with sportsman's and vg, thing wold approach light at under 50. Flew one with that and extended wings on amphibs, fabulous plane. But, if your wing does what you want, why? Do you have VGs? That is a good addition and great bang for the bucks.

Start with required repairs, protection, and making it do the job you want, then go for the 'wants'.

For your use, you have one of the most economical planes you can find, and absolutely a fine choice.

I would skip all of that, add a Cessna style cuff to the wing, and convert it to tailwheel. As I understand it, the structure is there on the early birds.
The early 180s were light, and a delight to fly.
I flew a Sportsman/VG 180 for several years, and was never really comfortable at lower approach speeds. But the Horton equipped 1956 bird was a genuine delight on the really slow approach.
Opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions, it’s given me plenty to think about. I’m on my phone so my response will be a little disjointed. Mena, AR is not quite a couple hours north of me, I was thinking about calling them to see if they would be interested in doing the horizontal, I might see if I can fly up and see if they are as confident in the whole airframe as I am. I’ll have to think about the P-Ponk a little more, although it’s such a well balanced plane I’ve even considered rebuilding the 470 as stock. With a 470L and a 2 blade MT, I’m betting I could run a firewall mounted battery and not have much of an effect on the CG. Cowl louvers will be added. Wing-X and VG’s aren’t being considered, I like the way it handles now and don’t want to lose roll rate or rudder authority with an extended wing, nor do I want to change the stall buffet with VG’s. I love the way the stock wing works and haven’t had an issue with how I use the plane, but there’s enough good things about the Sportsman out there I figured I’d add it. Panel will have a prominent mount for an IPad, nothing fancy going in there. It’s just so far gone as is I will have to start with a clean slate, so simple but useful is what I’m going for. Tailwheel conversion would be cool but that sounds easier said than done.

Funny, I've said the same about my stock camberlift wing. I don't want to add length or a bigger cuff because I like it as is in crosswinds. VGs help, not hurt.

I like the way it handles now and don’t want to lose roll rate or rudder authority with an extended wing, nor do I want to change the stall buffet with VG’s. I love the way the stock wing works and haven’t had an issue with how I use the plane, but there’s enough good things about the Sportsman out there I figured I’d add it.

:roll::nutz::peeper

I think your approach makes sense. If that horizontal is at all suspect, I'd get it inspected/fixed FIRST. While you're at that, have that jackscrew trim system thoroughly inspected/repaired as needed.

Then, I'd do the Sportsman and Airglas fork, along with tires appropriate to your mission. The Sportsman is real magic on a Cessna wing....you'll like it.

I can't comment on engines, no experience there.

Instrument panel: Your approach sounds solid. KISS. Install what you need. THe problem there is, the panel may wind up really ugly. But, if you start installing a new panel, that can be a really deep rabbit hole.

GOod luck.

MTV

Older stock wing is predictable when slow...Camber Lift cuff as well and seems to lift off a bit flatter...Sportsman adds slow speed control plus AOA margin and better sealed ailerons....Wing-X adds lift and GW especially at altitude with some decrease in roll rate. My experience with these but no experience with VG's on Cessna's. Going to be a great airplane regardless of mods.

Gary

As far as the panel goes, do it in one shot. Don't keep disassembling it over a series of 'stages'. Find a 3 1/8" hole for a CGR-30P and AV-30 and your done. Remove ALL avionics and associated wiring/accessories. If you stay with Trig or Becker coms you only need a 2 1/4" hole for each. If you NEED an ADS-B system, consider the Trig TT22 with the TN70 WAAS GPS. It uses the similar miniature control head as the TY91 and the TN 70 is a blind mount box. And the system operates on 1090 mhz so it's legal outside US territory. Add a four place intercom such as NAT or PS Engineering and you can do all this with minimal metal work.

Web

...Norland 470 and MT 2 blade. Lack of cowl flaps has me concerned a P-Ponk would be too hot running in Texas.....

My take on the early non-cowl-flapped 182's is that the big fixed air-exit opening is like running with the cowl flaps open.
I'd be more concerned about it running too cool, at least in the moderate climates in my part of the country, than too hot.

I have a 58 C182 with a Texas Skyways 520 and 3 blade Hartzell. Mice had made a mess of interior so ripped it all out, seats, side panels and headliner. Took all the aluminum skirts off front and rear seats. Friend made new seat cushions and we covered the seat bottoms and backs in Ceconite fabric and sewed Velcro to it so the cushions come on and off easily. Now we can fold the back seat down or easily remove it. Didn't want to spend the time and money on the rear folding seats STC since I don't see it getting used much.

Pulled the panel and cut a new one. Kept the radio and transponder for now and added a PS Engineering 4 place intercom. Removed the vacuum system and installed an AV30. Installed a CGR30P engine monitor cause I wanna know what is going on with the 520.

LP Aero had a sale at Oshkosh on UV tinted glass and I got it for all the way around. Bought the Selkirks fiberglass extended baggage for retaining the rear mounted battery, it needs it for CG, and their interior foam kit. Also got Selkirks kick panels for forward of the doors/aft of the instrument panel. Bought an SCS vinyl floor kit.

My tail has been gone through with new jack screws, bushings and hardware and the cowling has been replaced with a Selkirks carbon fiber cowl. It has Knots2U wheel pants and trues out at 164 mph before I took the panel out. Have to find the time to get it all back together with the current propeller STC project, new hangar build and everyday customer work. Will se what the mission really becomes but right now it's intended use is to go places faster than a Cub or a Tri-Pacer.

I've got a '56 182 and I've been on a similar journey of progression. It had Horton Stol kit and larger nose fork on it when I bought it. Fairly clean airframe, 1200 hrs on the engine. I fell in love with the idea of more power prior to buying the bird, so I was already planning on the PPonk at overhaul. We went through a very in depth annual/clean up after purchase. Flew it for 2 years, getting a feel for what I wanted, then overhauled the engine and did the PPonk with high compression pistons, port/polish. I wish I had flown the airplane at that point prior to doing wing-x to see the improvement sequentially, but with winter approaching, shop availability, time etc I ended up having wing-x done before flying with only PPonk. I have 20hrs on the new engine and set up and I am very happy with the combination. I don't regret anything I've done on the airplane, but in hindsight I can see the cascade of decisions and expenses that were made as a result of wanting more power. The 0-470 with 55 gallons and the light airframe is a nice pairing. When I went with more power I got heavier and thirstier requiring further modifications for my "needs". I'm taking off shorter, going faster, landing slower, and able to carry more than I could before. If that's what you need for your mission then I'd say go for it. As someone else mentioned the best mod now would be to put a tailwheel on it...while I have an estimate for that, I'm going to enjoy it for awhile as it is. Happy to unpack more of my process if needed.

You should have a nice performing 182.
We are doing a 175, Sportsmans STOL is what most think best, VG's, doing the Wing X extensions once approved(coming shortly) Built up 0360, Hartzell Trailblazer, Atlee rear seats, lightweight everywhere we can, 8.50's all around with big nosefork. New Garmin lightweight panel, no vc system.
Should be similar to the 182 but probablylighter, hoping for good shortfield performance.
The projects are always fun.
John

Thanks again for more ideas, I think I’m on the right path. My cowling is rough enough I’ll probably replace it with the Selkirk like yours Steve, and I redid my seats pretty well the same way as yours. The back seat is simple enough to take out now I doubt I’ll put in folding seats only as a last resort. Talking with a friend it sounds like my cowling is as HotRod said. The only firewall reinforcement I’ve found is part of a float kit from Seaplanes West, is that the only one? I think I’ll add cabin wires too. There’s enough people building up similar Cessna’s on here I’m sure I’ll be back looking for more info.

John, I’m the one from Texas that bought the Husky wingtips from your buddy’s shop. They showed up last week and look great. Looking forward to getting them on the plane.

Thanks again for more ideas, I think I’m on the right path. My cowling is rough enough I’ll probably replace it with the Selkirk like yours Steve, and I redid my seats pretty well the same way as yours. The back seat is simple enough to take out now I doubt I’ll put in folding seats only as a last resort. Talking with a friend it sounds like my cowling is as HotRod said. The only firewall reinforcement I’ve found is part of a float kit from Seaplanes West, is that the only one? I think I’ll add cabin wires too. There’s enough people building up similar Cessna’s on here I’m sure I’ll be back looking for more info.

John, I’m the one from Texas that bought the Husky wingtips from your buddy’s shop. They showed up last week and look great. Looking forward to getting them on the plane.

Glad you like the wingtips, they are top quality and to me and look far better than stock ones.
John

Back