Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a 4 Seat (4S) Javron Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    "We will be using ATR-FP-251F1 almost exclusively on the 4S (I think)."

For front floorboards too?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1

Post Thanks / Like
    Kydex .pdf weight chart
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Seat weights:

I am thinking of going with two Cessna seats on a Cessna track. The weight difference seems to be minor from my weight notes. But if someone reading this knows better, please comment. A front articulating seat from my Cessna with Airtex cushions weighs 13.5 pounds. I'm not sure what tracks weigh, perhaps two pounds per side? I looked at the old W&B from my former PA-18 and have the front seat weight at 12.5 pounds with cushions (I think they were Cub Crafters cushions). But I don't think this Cub seat weight includes the base. Perhaps someone can correct me on this? I no longer own the Cub.

The nice thing about Cessna seats is they easily slide back and forth, are made as a folder, and slide off of the track very easily if not needed or wanted. And they're comfortable IMO.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan - Thank you for posting the information about Kydex, and also the idea of the Cessna seats. I think there is a lot of merit to that. You would probably want Jay to weld in some tabs to attach the rails to, so that you would have a more secure system rather than simply bolting the rails to the floorboard. But I’m sure you already know that and thought of it.

DJ - Yes, think that right now. You really don't "stand" on the front floor. At least in a cub, so not as much weight is concentrated in a small area. I used the 2ply on the front floor of my current cub and I am thinking it was probably over kill. We will try the single ply and if I don't like it, we can change to the two ply. But my gut feeling is it will be fine. But as someone pointed out, the single ply might "dent" easier, ie a rock stuck to the bottom of a boot, or a dropped tool like an ax, hammer, etc. It is all a trade off.

Getting started on the paint booth. Man materials are expensive right now. Painfully so. But it’s the price I pay for my own quirks and personality flaws. I just don’t like a plastic/visqueen booth. As I said before, it takes the very best for me to get an average job. And I will probably use it for several projects, and perhaps to help my neighbors a little bit. I’m not much of a painter but if I can help a neighbor, fellow builder, I will try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D748A8F-61FC-47F9-B383-BE39ABA1F984.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	60675

Name:	13591DD2-97C8-4DEA-A226-CE03A6B08000.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	60676
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 03-27-2022 at 08:58 PM.
    Very Blessed.
    Likes jrussl, Hardtailjohn, SJ, spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I noticed about single ply CF with a honeycomb core is that you can see light through it…i.e. liquid passes through it/into it, at least the stuff I used for seat bottoms & backs. Something to consider, especially if you’re going to be on floats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    One thing I noticed about single ply CF with a honeycomb core is that you can see light through it…i.e. liquid passes through it/into it, at least the stuff I used for seat bottoms & backs. Something to consider, especially if you’re going to be on floats.
    That depends on what fabric was used in the layup, Not all weaves are that way, and if the fabric is wetted out properly it will be air tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

A quick update

Brad spoke at length to Stein Bruch of SteinAir. https://www.steinair.com If you are not familiar with this name you should be. They are one of the premier avionics shops for homebuilders. They do a LOT of avionics sales and custom panels for experimental types especially the Vans RV group. They have helped several Javron Cub guys. They are in the Minneapolis area and are knowledgeable of Javron Cubs. At any rate, they will be doing Brads panel. Going with the G3X system. Brad sent a deposit to get in the que. We are expecting a Sept or Oct time frame. Everyone is backed up right now so to keep the project moving forward we have to order stuff in advance to account for the lead times.

Name:	CC35885C-7381-4142-B372-4D30618F385A.jpeg 
Views:	1041 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	60750This is the panel they did for Mark Fiedlers Cub.

Brad has also decided to have Jay DeRosier build the engine with the help of Lycon. 0-370 with all the bells and whistles at 9-1 compression ratio. We expect to be a little over 200Hp with a weight about 270 pounds. More to follow on both the above decisions.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Rusk; 04-04-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    Very Blessed.
    Likes jrussl, yoop_robaho, Broncoformudv liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have know Stein for years, he is well respected in the RV community. I sent him a blank panel, and he cut it out, covered it with a carbon fiber overlay, and silkscreened it. I also purchased the avionics from him. I did the wiring myself, but he will do that too. I was very happy with his service, but there are lead times.

Sorry about the tilted picture, I was getting bounced around.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panel med.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	60754  
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes CamTom12, Broncoformudv liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

Any updates on the project? I’m interested to see how the plane is coming together.

Joe
    Likes tgatherer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

I occasionally make trips to Sandpoint to visit a buddy and would love to stop in to see your project. I too will be ordering a 4 place cub in the very near future, however I still haven't decided between Airframes Alaska or Javron. I think seeing your project and getting a closer look will help make the decision that much easier.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Despite manufacturing, shipping, global material shortage and inflation issues. If Jay can keep costs relatively moderated I think the decision becomes quite clear. The Airframes fuse was ballpark $21,000. It is now $32,000. To be fair, I do not know of Javron's price adjustments if any.
    Last edited by Tgskillskill; 08-04-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gents (and Ladies)

I am really sorry that I have not updated recently. I do have a fair amount of progress to report just as soon as I have 20 seconds to myself. Been super ultra busy. I have spent the last couple of days in the shop with Jay DeRosier working on some design issues which I will talk about when I have a moment.

tgatherer- I would love to have a visit. shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will respond.

Standby for updates in the next few days

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Thanks vj88 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking forward to this thread. If things go according to plan, I will be on the list for one myself.
    "Always looking up"