• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

RC Allen Mini 6

TSO is a design and manufacturing approval, not an installation approval. I suspect you are going to need an STC to do the installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TSO is a design and manufacturing approval, not an installation approval. I suspect you are going to need an STC to do the installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you need an STC to install any other TSO’d altimeter in a Cub? If not, why can’t you install this without an STC as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That RC Allen is a very nice looking unit.
I like that it's round faced & mounts like a standard instrument.
That said, it has pretty much the same features (at twice the price) as my "pre-STC" Garmin G5,
which I installed in 2016-- with the airspeed & altimeter features disabled,
and without removing any required instruments-- per this FAA policy statement.

PS-ACE-23-08.pdf (faa.gov)

I think maybe the RC Allen unit could be installed similarly.
But retaining the airspeed & altimeter features would require tapping into the pitot static system,
which might indeed require some sort of special approval such as an STC.

Last edited:
But retaining the airspeed & altimeter features would require tapping into the pitot static system,
which might indeed require some sort of special approval such as an STC.

Why? Tapping into the pitot/static plumbing just requires a leak check.

Web

I really prefer the look of this unit over the AV-30 but somehow it is more than half again more expensive than the certified AV30 and double the price of the experimental AV30. Kind of a hard sell with a price like that.

This is obviously not a gyro instrument, but I had terrible experience with RC Allen gyros, and their warranty wasn't. Got about 200 hours on one AH, and "sorry, we can sell you a replacement".

MTV

Probably discussed but with little panel space, four 3.125 flight instrument holes and a radio stack, is it possible to be legal IFR without making a new panel? Now I have steam airspeed, altimeter, VSI and an electric turn coordinator. If I install this or a G5 or AV30, say two AV30s one covers airspeed attitude, altimeter and VSI. The second one covers heading, that leaves two 3.125 holes for nav CDIs if I can remove the steam airspeed and altitude. But seems all the G5 installs I have seen they leave the steam airspeed and altimeter

The AV-30 and G5 are not certified for primary airspeed and altitude, only secondary. So you’d still need the gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The garmin 275's are legal replacements too

Thats good news than that 2 g275s will allow removal of the steam airspeed and altimeter. While researching the 275 I came across this https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2021/A21P0001/A21P0001.html

Did not read it all but sounds like the 275 failed, one did, I will read the whole article tomorrow.

Another accident happened today in NC and looks like EFIS failed might have contributed to it also

Maybe all glass is not a good idea

Attachments

• 20220214_221812.png
    20220214_221812.png
    504.6 KB · Views: 147
If you’re in a Cub, and your all your glass panels go out, you do the same thing you were doing anyway. Look out the window?

If you’re in a Cub, and your all your glass panels go out, you do the same thing you were doing anyway. Look out the window?

if thats all it takes than why do we need instruments to fly in the goo, looking out the window when you cant see anything doesnt help me, I need the instruments

Thats good news than that 2 g275s will allow removal of the steam airspeed and altimeter. While researching the 275 I came across this https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2021/A21P0001/A21P0001.html

Did not read it all but sounds like the 275 failed, one did, I will read the whole article tomorrow.

Another accident happened today in NC and looks like EFIS failed might have contributed to it also

Just one in a cub. The last airmen cub had 1 275 for airspeed alt and attitude the second was for engine monitoring and that replaced all the analog engine gauges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing about flying a partial panel airplane is it's always reinforcing partial panel procedures...like it or not that's what's available to be monitored but only if the pilot chooses to do so. Times have changed, but from the accident link above: "redundancy in avionic systems" and familiarity with their recovery ops during stress is critical. I'd not fly a glass panel without backup until I was convinced any failure of components could be safely handled. CFIT still happens even with older steam gauges, as my neighbor at the float pond recently discovered.

Gary

One thing about flying a partial panel airplane is it's always reinforcing partial panel procedures...like it or not that's what's available to be monitored but only if the pilot chooses to do so. Times have changed, but from the accident link above: "redundancy in avionic systems" and familiarity with their recovery ops during stress is critical. I'd not fly a glass panel without backup until I was convinced any failure of components could be safely handled. CFIT still happens even with older steam gauges, as my neighbor at the float pond recently discovered.

Gary

I got into unforcast IMC snow low vis once and was glad I flipped on the electric turn coordinator before flying that day, it has its own toggle and I usually dont use it, on a side note is that bad for it? I was partial panel using the turn coordinator and VSI and was fine, not very hard to fly a slow cub partial panel with those two instruments and the airspeed and altimeter to fine tune, but as long as the pitch trim is set correct all it takes is light touch on the stick to keep the plane under control partial panel. I agree with you maintaining that skill is paramount, learning it anyway, once learned its like riding a bike, may have to knock rust off the first minute but it is in your brain once you learn it. After that happened I did go out and buy a portable EFIS.

Man, I’ll bet that pilot went out and bought ten lottery tickets…..right after he changed his underwear.

MTV

What is not making sense is what the incident report says about reversionary mode and what Garmin says about reversionary mode. Garmin says when two are installed and the primary ADI fails that the HSI will auto go into ADI mode until the fault is fixed. But the incident report says that only happens if the HSI is installed as a standby HSI. If Garmin is not allowing a Primary HSI to display reversionary attitude info if the primary ADI fails that is a bunch of crap.

Attachments

• B664300C-C029-4E87-9F95-6AB4FA9352EB.png
    B664300C-C029-4E87-9F95-6AB4FA9352EB.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 65
  • C326A24C-CCBE-44D9-95CE-746C3E1BCE31.png
    C326A24C-CCBE-44D9-95CE-746C3E1BCE31.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 68
What is not making sense is what the incident report says about reversionary mode and what Garmin says about reversionary mode. Garmin says when two are installed and the primary ADI fails that the HSI will auto go into ADI mode until the fault is fixed. But the incident report says that only happens if the HSI is installed as a standby HSI. If Garmin is not allowing a Primary HSI to display reversionary attitude info if the primary ADI fails that is a bunch of crap.

Garmin's reversionary modes and cross monitoring are not always well documented, partly because there is a lag between firmware updates and documentation updates. I installed a G5 as backup to my G3X Touch system. My initial installation was as a completely separate backup instrument with no data sharing. Later Garmin updated the firmware to provide attitude comparison monitoring and alerting between G5 and the G3X GSU ADAHRS. That motivated me to put the G5 on CANBus so it is fully integrated with G3X.

Now I need to fail each of the system LRU in turn to fully explore the reversion modes. I expect there to be some surprises.

Trust nothing and have a backup plan. After four vacuum pump failures and two venturi freeze-ups (VFR) I like the option of added electronics. Maybe a GPS or portable device that's a pseudo AI or DG. Maybe one of these instruments or that other unit being discussed. And a quick battery backup for them might be a good idea. Being able to accept instrument failure without denial and quickly transition would be a good exercise with an experienced instructor onboard. The older I get the more I sound like my grandfather.

Gary

Back