• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What's your biggest gripe about your hangar?

In northern climes, this is why you want the hangar door facing south. I plowed it about 3 hours ago. C’mon, spring!

Attachments

• A4529556-F829-4611-AA73-24949F5C8B7B.jpg
    A4529556-F829-4611-AA73-24949F5C8B7B.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 104
I used a stack door.. wish I had ordered a hydraulic door, with a truss on the front. Should have put a car door on the side of the airplane door.

Dug a friends north facing hangar door out yesterday. No fun. My doors face south, melt first and get the prevailing wind in summer.

In northern climes, this is why you want the hangar door facing south. I plowed it about 3 hours ago. C’mon, spring!

Indeed, my shop's 19' wide x 14' high Hydro Swing faces true south, and any sun at all reflects back on the pavement and more or less self clears the snow for 10 or 12' out, depending on the amount of each. But that's also the direction where all my wind comes from, which is one reason I went with a Hydro Swing type door: the harder the wind blows the tighter it seals. My conventional roll up garage doors fail in this regard, snowdrifts inside are common.

If abuilding a hangar you also want a walk thru door on both ends of the hangar.

My hangar was built in 1985 and the owner/builder did not insulate and heat the slab.

On the other hand, I got it cheaper cause it was an empty pole barn. Now, insulated and heated, but not the slab.

2013-03-27_14-52-29_324.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-03-27_14-52-29_324.jpg
    2013-03-27_14-52-29_324.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 100
A man door (or two) is nice, be sure & install the light switches adjacent to it.
Roll-up garage door is handy also.

I will not admit to this but some 30 odd years back a SC came to the field on floats landing in the snow. When I got to work after the weekend finding it there as they said it would be out in the middle of the grass, I towed it with the Lil IH Scout over to the hangar, not having any true lifting equipment, I opened the bifold door to where I needed it, hung the plane from the door and lifted it as needed. Worked the floats out from under it and dragged the back out into the snow and into a T hangar. Lowered the plane down enough to work on easier, mounted the gear and direct to the skis. Went quick with no need for brake plumbing. Set the plane down, pulled it back and closed the door. Hour later the owner stopped in and was absolutely stunned to find I was done already, he thought I would still be trying figure out how to do it and he was going to arrange for an excavator to come over to lift the plane. Never have said how I did it till now.

Back