• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What's your biggest gripe about your hangar?

It's too small. Aren't they all?

Seriously though, I'm glad to have any hangar at all. Mine is un-heated and door-less, but it keeps the wind and sun off my airplane so I'm content with that and can sleep soundly on a stormy arctic night.

If I had unlimited funds, well ....that's never going to happen so I won't go there.

Mine houses a couple of cars along side the planes. Winter salt and sand make a crusty mess on the floor and I like to run in and out in my socks. First world problems, yes, but you asked.

It sheds snow right in front of the door, and if not immediately taken care of, that snow becomes an impenetrable wall of ice that freezes the door to the ground. Poor design - would have made a world of difference if the snow shed a foot further out.

Where I live the wind’s been blowing 35G50 all day with no sign of letting up. I’m just happy to have a hangar!

I two hanger rows to the North of Brian M. I have the same ice issue but am further North so I am saying mine is worth. Getting a hanger that the snow does not shed to the front is the key. DENNY

If I could do it again, I'd make it higher and put in a hoist. And fire the guy who did the concrete floor.:evil:

I believe this is what's referred to as a first world problem, no one said life would be easy.
My own hangar door gets drifted in, 5 or 10 degrees more south facing and that same wind would have auto swept the area

Hangar door (advertised as 12' tall) only opens to 11'4" high, and my RV is 11'6" tall. Since I'll be "commuting" to the hangar for a while, I was hoping to park the RV inside while I went flying. Definitely a first world problem, LOL.

My gripe is some cheap a$$ went with a dirt floor instead of concrete. Man I kick myself for that!!

Where I live nobody would know what a Ready-Mix truck is. A concrete floor would be prohibitively expensive, especially if I took all the necessary steps to prevent cracking. Cement, shipped into here would run about $150 a bag. Mucho labour with a small mixer. A short season doesn't help either.

I started with a dirt (sand) floor. Raked it nice and level and laid down pressure-treated 2 x 4 sleepers (on the flat) spaced 16-inches. 3/4-inch plywood on top, screwed down and painted. It has stood up very well and I'm happy with it.

Wish I would have put wing tie downs recessed in the floor with covers over them when not in use. Very useful when on the hoist so plane stays level and doesn’t pivot around. I always have to tie the tail and wing to something ( 4 wheeler etc.) to prevent this.
Electric outlet centered on the bi-fold/ hi fold…. min. extension cord usage. Concrete slab extended further out beyond main door seal to prevent freezing.

The reinforcement truss that’s common on swing-up doors? I wish mine was a few feet above the bottom of the door. As it is it’s about 6” above, and it serves as rebar for compacted, drifted snow. And it prevents plowing and even shoveling under it until the door is opened.

Mine floods, like an inch or so of water if it rains really hard. But it was the only option without a years-long waitlist or a 1+ hour drive, so I just keep stuff off the floor.

C5955180-2A00-459C-BF78-0CC1F262C253.jpgThanksEven with the building 70 x 110’ it still isn’t big enough

Attachments

• C5955180-2A00-459C-BF78-0CC1F262C253.jpg
    C5955180-2A00-459C-BF78-0CC1F262C253.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 183
Well Doc, if you don’t park the RV in it and remove the corner Vet lab… 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

As already somewhat noted - more consideration to prevailing winds as regards door choices (wind loading, strength, drifting) would have been nice. We have also wished for in-floor anchors and more electrical outlet options in both walls and ceilings. Powerful ventilation provision - rapidly moving every cubic foot of air in the place - seems more important all the time if you do much fabric/paint-booth work.

Get those big thick rubber mats used for horse stalls and trailers. Sold at Tractor supply or any of those types of feed stores. Will last forever.

I kept my planes tied down outside (part of the time in really evil weather) for thirty years.

The only thing I can think of that could possibly be wrong with a hangar is if it fell down on the plane.

Other than that, ANY hangar is better than parking outside…….as near as I can tell, anyway.

I am truly blessed with a T-Hangar, insulated and heated. Small, upslope to pull the plane up (winch), and it’s just about perfect.

MTV

One thing that I found was that storage areas were always needed. Survival gear, spare parts, cleaning supplies... the list went on. The concerning part is trying to keep an area looking at least organized if not clean.

If you can find lockers or the like, and cabinets with doors your hangar will look much better.

Also, we often don't use the space up high so having GOOD ladder(s) and high shelving to put stuff you don't often use.

Last thing I will say is that good working platforms, like ladders that have spring loaded wheels you can walk up and stay in place, or step off and roll another 4' out the wing... those types of things for taking care of the plane are worth their weight in gold. You see that stuff in maintenance facilities- just as handy in private ones.

Warehouse racking. Tie it to the walls so it won’t tip in an earthquake. The natural tendency is to put heavy stuff low and light stuff high. I use a couple of bays for work benches.

Attachments

• D0EDAD74-6689-4180-AD18-325D54E1C5BA.jpeg
    D0EDAD74-6689-4180-AD18-325D54E1C5BA.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 107
  • CAF79CCF-E95B-4588-835D-0D531154293A.jpeg
    CAF79CCF-E95B-4588-835D-0D531154293A.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Back