Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your biggest gripe about your hangar?

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest beef with my place in the land lease. I don't like not owning the dirt.

The next problem is my beech 18 won't fit in it. I don't own my beech 18 yet, but having a place to keep it is certainly something I need to sort out before I buy it.
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Fairvew East (Crane Road Airstrip),Wasilla, AK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting "curtain" idea, Dan. Do you mean it is a true foldable/flexible material that you raise or slide or roll up like it was a plastic "fabric?" Or is it a sheet of rigid panels? I see in both pictures a fairly complex gridwork that wouldn't seem to be be needed for a truly flexible product. And is it "insulated" by virtue of multiple layers with airspace in between? Mind telling us the details/specs of your materials and assembly process? And how resistant is this set-up to thieves with a sharp razor or knife?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always thought one of those clear doors would be awesome!!! I worked for a couple years in a hangar with NO windows at all... it was terrible!! I had the door cracked a foot or so all the time in the winter or when it was raining hard, and wide open all the rest of the time. Even in my main hangar now, with windows, I gotta have the door open if the weather isn't bad! My secondary hangar has windows, but they're up near the ceiling, so all they do is let in light, and I'm always running to the door to see who just buzzed or what went by!
    My biggest gripe about my hangar is that I didn't completely finish it before I moved in.... and I haven't slowed down enough to finish it since!! Other than that, if I did another one, I'd put a big conduit from wall to wall at each end to pull extra wiring etc. through, and I'd definitely put a big jib crane base in on one wall, over by the lathes and machines, as well as extra thick pads for a lift in a back corner. I'd also throw some chain buckets in a few places....it's nice to be able to tie something down solid inside at times, and my hangars never get used strictly for airplanes.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mit greb View Post
    That I don't have one and it is down to 25 below again.................
    Amen, Brother……I feel your pain.

MTV
    Likes mit greb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest regret is not building it as big as I had originally planned. The lot I have at the airport is big enough for a 60x60 hangar, and I originally planned to build just that. But the cost of the 60 ft trusses was substantially higher than 54 ft trusses, so I cheaped out and went with a 54x54 building. STUPID. Should have spent the extra money. The biggest loss in this decision was a forward-facing garage door next to the hangar door. I really miss that door.

Bottom line: Don't penny-pinch such a major investment. Go big or go home! You'll be happy you did!
    Joe

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
    Likes Kid Durango liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My primary issue is birds. I can't keep the little boogers out! They poop all over everything. It's awful. They get in at the top and bottom of the door.

That being said, birds are really my only issue with the structure itself. I'll figure it out eventually but for right now it's annoying.

I will second the suggestion made previously in this thread for insulation. I paid the extra for spray foam insulation and it is the best! Triple digits or single digits don't matter, it's pretty comfy in there all the time. It can be heated easily and with little cost due to the insulation also.

The other thing is more electrical outlets than you could possibly think anyone could ever use. I did take the precaution of putting a 220 in there for a welder, but I should have put a lot more 110 too. Just a suggestion..

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed LED lights and added more than I previously had, money well spent!

I wish the fellow I bought it from had added/stacked trusses at a place in the hangar where a hoist would go. Simple engineering will tell you how many trusses you need to stack for your desired weight. Seems like one of those low cost high return additions. Sooooo, if you are building a hangar give serious to stacking the trusses somewhere strategic tragic for hoisting.

Kurt
    Last edited by G44; 02-03-2022 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Likes DENNY, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Kurt is right on lights.
    LED's lights are great, replaced my previous ones of flourescents that hummed were not bright and previous before that the metal halide, when hot would have to cool before going on again. The new LED ones are bright, no noise, and barely use any juice.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by salex View Post
    Very interesting "curtain" idea, Dan. Do you mean it is a true foldable/flexible material that you raise or slide or roll up like it was a plastic "fabric?" Or is it a sheet of rigid panels? I see in both pictures a fairly complex gridwork that wouldn't seem to be be needed for a truly flexible product. And is it "insulated" by virtue of multiple layers with airspace in between? Mind telling us the details/specs of your materials and assembly process? And how resistant is this set-up to thieves with a sharp razor or knife?
    The curtain is a work in progress....right now, it's 2 silver tarps with regular fiberglass batt insulation between the tarps with a cable strung along the ceiling that the tarp slides along like a curtain. Crude at the moment, but i'm just testing. If you are worried about break ins..this isn't the door for you. It would be easy to break in....almost as easy as a hard kick to the man door. There are cameras on the neighbors hangar and one on the road in....Might help after the fact, but this is a very low crime area....you could fit between the doors on all the old T hangars at this airport but so far only the rabbits, mice, and ground hogs seem to enter those without permission. the door was built from plans and hardware kit purchased from The Ultimate Door. I can't seem to find their website at the moment.
    Likes jrussl, Hardtailjohn, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    I installed LED lights and added more than I previously had, money well spent!

I wish the fellow I bought it from had added/stacked trusses at a place in the hangar where a hoist would go. Simple engineering will tell you how many trusses you need to stack for your desired weight. Seems like one of those low cost high return additions. Sooooo, if you are building a hangar give serious to stacking the trusses somewhere tragic for hoisting.

Kurt
    True, but after the fact.... Assuming the "attic" is accessible, and if the truss has a center vertical kingpost, it's easy enough to install a stiff back, 2x6's or 8's is enough, on each side, so a double row, properly nailed, and bridging 3 or 4 trusses to either side. So when the center truss is loaded by a hoist, the load is spread among several trusses. Any competent carpenter could do it easy. Same principle works on steel trusses, spread the load. This artist's rendering shows the concept. He was in a hurry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img116.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	59735  
    Thanks G44 thanked for this post
    Likes G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gervae View Post
    The curtain is a work in progress....right now, it's 2 silver tarps with regular fiberglass batt insulation between the tarps with a cable strung along the ceiling that the tarp slides along like a curtain. Crude at the moment, but i'm just testing. If you are worried about break ins..this isn't the door for you. It would be easy to break in....almost as easy as a hard kick to the man door. There are cameras on the neighbors hangar and one on the road in....Might help after the fact, but this is a very low crime area....you could fit between the doors on all the old T hangars at this airport but so far only the rabbits, mice, and ground hogs seem to enter those without permission. the door was built from plans and hardware kit purchased from The Ultimate Door. I can't seem to find their website at the moment.
    I have a Ultimate Door kit a buddy gave me, used to be able to fly down to the guys house that sold them and pick them up. I will probably go with a Higher Power door, opens like a ultimate but heavy duty with hydraulics. Made in lower Michigan I think. It can handle a lot of weight, like a hydroswing without the structural and snow removal headaches. It will get clear sheeting in and out, like a big double pane window facing south east to catch the morning slanting winter sun. I have worked in heated hangers like this, it is nice. Free heat, light, and everything stays nice and dry. Double sheeting a Ultimate might get too heavy, but I might try stapling clear plastic on the inside to see how much warmer it stays.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gervae View Post
    ....If you are worried about break ins..this isn't the door for you. It would be easy to break in....almost as easy as a hard kick to the man door. There are cameras on the neighbors hangar and one on the road in....Might help after the fact, but this is a very low crime area....you could fit between the doors on all the old T hangars at this airport but so far only the rabbits, mice, and ground hogs seem to enter those without permission....
    We've always kept our house locked up when we're not around and have had a half-dozen break-in's over the years. Same with our cabin that is only 8-miles from town and snowmobile-accessible. The other cabin, 110-miles away in some pretty rough country has never been touched except by the bears. That I can tolerate. We leave that one un-locked.

My hangar at the airport has no door at all. In 15-years nothing has been touched. I attribute that partly to the 24-hour presence of a radio op/weather observer, who, by the way, can't actually see my hangar from where he sits. But the thieves don't know that.

I think the main factor in my good luck is that there is no door. Anyone wanting to steal stuff can see there's only an airplane in there and some locked-up tool cabinets. No booze, no grow-op, nothing that the lazy rats would want to steal. I think a door represents a challenge to these morons, and once inside they figure they might as well do some more damage if they can't be seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    biggest gripe don't have one

Post Thanks / Like
    Other peoples STUFF, I'm convinced my hangar is magnetic.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes cubdriver2, jrussl, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My gripe is I have not built it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    This works, (when I ski up the ramp and then transition to the wheels, the door is closed) and the paint marks telling me where to stop on the slab made a big difference, but I guess I could have hauled a few more yards of fill. Nah...this works.

Name:	IMG_20220201_153419952~2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	59800  
    Likes cubdriver2, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, after thinking about this for a week or so? My gripe is that I didn’t get a hangar house 25 years sooner.
    Likes jrussl, Hardtailjohn, OLDCROWE, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good comments here that could be considered by someone building a hangar. Maybe that was the intent of the OP.

After more than 25 years of tending aircraft tied down outdoors in Alaska, my plane sits comfortably in a county-owned T hangar in northern Indiana while I'm down here taking care of my 101 year old Dad. It has a two piece sliding door on tracks facing north. Half the roof drains onto the apron in front, which isn't part of the hangar floor. So, the ground gets saturated and frost heaves in winter. Right now one metal guide that fits into track at the bottom of the door has one door jammed tight. So,.. I can't get the door open. Today the sun is shining, winds are calm, and I can't go flying.

One minor irritant that could have been done differently is the concrete floor was aggressively rough finished with a coarse broom. Great traction, but very hard to sweep clean. It was brushed from side to side, so difficult to sweep straight out through the door.

But hey, I haven't had to sweep snow off wings, deal with wing covers or tie the plane down in several years.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    If building a hangar and it's at all possible, refrain from facing the door North if there is any possibility of having snow in your area.
    Likes skywagon8a, G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JWE View Post
    If building a hangar and it's at all possible, refrain from facing the door North if there is any possibility of having snow in your area.
    For two reasons: piles of snow in front of the door and frost heaves jamming the tracks into the door. If you must face north have an overhead type of door which lifts instead of sliding sideward.
    N1PA
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In northern climes, this is why you want the hangar door facing south. I plowed it about 3 hours ago. C’mon, spring!

Name:	A4529556-F829-4611-AA73-24949F5C8B7B.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	59804  
    Likes stid2677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a stack door.. wish I had ordered a hydraulic door, with a truss on the front. Should have put a car door on the side of the airplane door.
    Jay Pratt
    Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Dug a friends north facing hangar door out yesterday. No fun. My doors face south, melt first and get the prevailing wind in summer.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes tedwaltman1, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    In northern climes, this is why you want the hangar door facing south. I plowed it about 3 hours ago. C’mon, spring!
    Indeed, my shop's 19' wide x 14' high Hydro Swing faces true south, and any sun at all reflects back on the pavement and more or less self clears the snow for 10 or 12' out, depending on the amount of each. But that's also the direction where all my wind comes from, which is one reason I went with a Hydro Swing type door: the harder the wind blows the tighter it seals. My conventional roll up garage doors fail in this regard, snowdrifts inside are common.
    Likes tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If abuilding a hangar you also want a walk thru door on both ends of the hangar.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hangar was built in 1985 and the owner/builder did not insulate and heat the slab.

On the other hand, I got it cheaper cause it was an empty pole barn. Now, insulated and heated, but not the slab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-27_14-52-29_324.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	59822

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Amen, Brother……I feel your pain.

MTV
    More dittos to add on this one.

Oz

Post Thanks / Like
    A man door (or two) is nice, be sure & install the light switches adjacent to it.
    Roll-up garage door is handy also.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will not admit to this but some 30 odd years back a SC came to the field on floats landing in the snow. When I got to work after the weekend finding it there as they said it would be out in the middle of the grass, I towed it with the Lil IH Scout over to the hangar, not having any true lifting equipment, I opened the bifold door to where I needed it, hung the plane from the door and lifted it as needed. Worked the floats out from under it and dragged the back out into the snow and into a T hangar. Lowered the plane down enough to work on easier, mounted the gear and direct to the skis. Went quick with no need for brake plumbing. Set the plane down, pulled it back and closed the door. Hour later the owner stopped in and was absolutely stunned to find I was done already, he thought I would still be trying figure out how to do it and he was going to arrange for an excavator to come over to lift the plane. Never have said how I did it till now.