• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

10-5217 carb from Lycon

krines

Billings
Top overhauled my o-320 b2b with Lycon port and polished cylinders. Initially on engine break in I saw EGT 1500 full rich at max power OAT 40F with CHT that would hit 425 easy at full power. Was a little concerned about the 1500 temp so called Lycon and they recommended the 10-5217 carb which would deliver more fuel for the increased air flow with the port and polish. With the 10-5217 now I see max EGT 1425 full rich with CHT's at 375 to 385 at OAT 30F density altitude 3000. I have searched this forum about this issue and a lot of attention was paid to baffles but to me it made logical sense that with increase airflow through the cylinders one would see a lean mixture with the -32 carb. Sutton exhaust. Fuel flow at max power take off 11.2 with 2500 cruise about 8.2 . Lycon folks provided excellent service. Out the other day testing it all out and shooting dogs and it just seemed that I was ripped off the ground. Also when I first took off I thought this engine sounded so smooth but I could have been smoking crack. So this is just a report from the field that if you are going to port and polish be prepared to pay attention to your carb.

Did Lycon provide any approval document (assuming you're operating as certified)? An application chart I've seen says carb is approved for a -C engine but doesn't show applicability to the -B. A buddy is dealing with the same thing on a B2B.

Did Lycon provide any approval document (assuming you're operating as certified)? An application chart I've seen says carb is approved for a -C engine but doesn't show applicability to the -B. A buddy is dealing with the same thing on a B2B.
I have a 10- 5217 carb if need on

That’s good info.
I’ve been pleased with Lycons engines.
However, I’m not sure why they (Lycon) withhold that vital piece of info till you nearly melt down your engine on initial test flight.
And after they’ve charged you to rebuild and install your original carb.

Top overhauled my o-320 b2b with Lycon port and polished cylinders. Initially on engine break in I saw EGT 1500 full rich at max power OAT 40F with CHT that would hit 425 easy at full power. Was a little concerned about the 1500 temp so called Lycon and they recommended the 10-5217 carb which would deliver more fuel for the increased air flow with the port and polish. With the 10-5217 now I see max EGT 1425 full rich with CHT's at 375 to 385 at OAT 30F density altitude 3000. I have searched this forum about this issue and a lot of attention was paid to baffles but to me it made logical sense that with increase airflow through the cylinders one would see a lean mixture with the -32 carb. Sutton exhaust. Fuel flow at max power take off 11.2 with 2500 cruise about 8.2 . Lycon folks provided excellent service. Out the other day testing it all out and shooting dogs and it just seemed that I was ripped off the ground. Also when I first took off I thought this engine sounded so smooth but I could have been smoking crack. So this is just a report from the field that if you are going to port and polish be prepared to pay attention to your carb.

With regard to max flow at full throttle…….I also have a B2B with Lycon port and polished cylinders. Have about 146 hours on them. I see around 15 gph flow at full rich and wide open throttle. Not sure what carb I have.

What prop are you running? Pa-18 I assume.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have a 10- 5217 carb if need on
Thanks - I wasn't clear; the 5217 is the carb Lycon sent my buddy, replacing the -32 he sent in. We're trying to nail down the paperwork aspect.

I have the -32 on my own B2B, factory cylinders. It runs in the 12+ GPH range max, and I can lean down to mid 6's with 8241 prop and 2450 rpm at sea level.

With regard to max flow at full throttle…….I also have a B2B with Lycon port and polished cylinders. Have about 146 hours on them. I see around 15 gph flow at full rich and wide open throttle. Not sure what carb I have.

What prop are you running? Pa-18 I assume.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Jeff,
are you running an engine monitor? Numbers?
I would be reluctant to sit behind a Lycon P&P engine without one.

I’m running a narrow deck O320 B2B in my Pacer with a CGR30-P engine monitor
241dc4342a36d34b1675e2667a108bee.jpg

. Lycon ported cylinders, their “O” ring case, 8.5:1 compression, Leading Edge Exhaust and a dash 32 carb. Started out with a 74/62 prop. Static at 2480RPM. 9.5 GPH at cruise, 13.9 GPH full throttle. Airforms Inc baffles and I built a Van’s style baffle behind the flywheel to close up the front of the engine. Van’s oil cooler louvre to control the air flow through the rear baffle mount oil cooler. Repitched the prop to 59… lost 6 mph. 117 mph with 26” tires and bare PA18 gear. Cruise at 2450 and 8.3 GPH. Zero cooling problems. CHT’s are less than 340F. Easily maintained 180 degrees on the oil temp at -20 F.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My 0320 with 10/1 comp. shows something over 14GPH at full power takeoff. Will vary slightly depending on conditions of course. I just kept increasing jet size till I got to that point and picked up considerable static RPM. No issues with cyl. head temps or oil temp. Love my CGR30-P. I usually burn about 8 to 8.5 at cruise but I don't hold back on the RPM's.Can easily burn 10 but doesn't gain enough speed to make it worth while. Right now I am running my Sensenich prop at approx a 40 deg pitch and 2500 gives me a cruise of about 95 MPH. All my airspeeds agree within a MPH or so with the airspeed, the AV-30, and the GPS in a no wind condition.

That’s good info.
I’ve been pleased with Lycons engines.
However, I’m not sure why they (Lycon) withhold that vital piece of info till you nearly melt down your engine on initial test flight.
And after they’ve charged you to rebuild and install your original carb.
A recent discovery. I didn't have any issues on my own engine but had on a customers. Ken talked to the engineers at Lycoming and Marvel before discovering the legality of the carb. My experience is that for some reason every one of these engines reacts differently.

The owners manual for the o-320 says the carburation of the engine is with either a MA-4SPA or HA-6 carb. Precision Airmotive now has taken over the production of these carbs from Marvel-Schebler. If you look at Precision Airmotive they offer the MA4-SPA carbs in many different types of which the 10-5217 and -32 models are included. I have this in my PA-18 and have the CGR-30p installed. 82-42 prop.

The B and D model parts manual has a matrix that seems to limit carb choices in a somewhat restrictive manner by O320 suffix designation. The linked Service Instruction is what Lycon uses to allow other carb choices within the model series, including -5217. I just installed one (recommended and purchased from Lycon) on my scub and the engine has never ran better.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SI1523G Carburetor Mfg Cross-Reference.pdf

-Mike

Back