Thread: Securing Aircraft in Extreme Conditions...Excellent Presentation

Post Thanks / Like

Securing Aircraft in Extreme Conditions...Excellent Presentation

Kudos to Denny Serie, Michael Schoder and Andy Flack for an awesome and relevant Hump Day Presentation! Very informative and the chemistry between you fellas was quite good.

Knots. As a farm boy I knew a few basic knots, as a surgeon I learned a few more, as a fly fisherman I learned even a few more. The review of knotting techniques for properly securing our aircraft, though, was very helpful. I know that SJ indicated that he may rope you (pun intended) into doing a session on knots, Denny, and that would be great.

One of the things I have experienced is the need to review knots once in awhile. While I have tied hundreds of thousands of surgical knots, not so much for knots we use (bowline, trucker's hitch). I find myself wondering how the heck the rabbit gets into the hole when tying the bowline and I frequently look around to make sure none of my buddies are standing there making fun of me as I fumble with the danged rabbit.

Several years ago I came across a handkerchief/bandana at REI that has several knots printed there upon. I bought several in different colors, as I find carrying a handkerchief quite useful, in general, but one with common knots is very helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handerchief big.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	59512

Name:	Bowline handerchief.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	59513

Name:	Trucker's Hitch.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	59514

Denny, a request...if/when you do the Zoom session please have things well-lit and in full screen mode, and slow things down a bit for old farts like me.

Again, it was a great way to spend time watching your presentation, fellas. Thank you for taking time to share your knowledge with us.

Randy
    Likes Wag2+2, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wag2+2 thanked for this post
    Likes DavePA11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bowline: loop left, then the rabbit comes out of the hole, over the log, behind the tree and back down the hole.
    "Always looking up"
    Likes hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skukum12 View Post
    Bowline: loop left, then the rabbit comes out of the hole, over the log, behind the tree and back down the hole.
    I never did understand that rabbit thing but the bowline has to be one the easiest knots to tie and one of the most useful. I probably learned it in the Boy Scouts but it wasn't until I was rock climbing in the late 60s early 70s that I learned to tie one round me with one hand and the other holding on to the rocks. That was back in the day we were climbing with hemp "waist lengths" not the full harness commonly used now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wind does weird things to knots. Like bowlines that are unsecured and not under tension. My habit is to add a simple finishing half hitch and then a plain knot close to the hitch on any knot. Helps keep the line from pulling through the hitch easily. That and wrapping the line one full time around tie downs and clevises/chains to spread out the pressure contact area.

Gary
    Likes DENNY, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Image1643103337.150027.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	59612

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app