• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Excellent Hudson Bay Company story with aircraft footage

Very interesting and mostly accurate. In my 50-years in the region as a radio op, weather observer, supply boat captain, pilot and student of arctic history I have met many of the people in the film and have been to all of those arctic coast locations.

Thanks for posting that Scout.

I was hoping you enjoyed it! I liked the suction dredge Nunavut
Very interesting and mostly accurate. In my 50-years in the region as a radio op, weather observer, supply boat captain, pilot and student of arctic history I have met many of the people in the film and have been to all of those arctic coast locations.

Thanks for posting that Scout.

Wow! What a valuable video. It's been over a century since the HBC and others changed the life of many in Canada and Alaska. This is not the place to go down on parts of that history, but it did happen and needs to be learned and remembered. I knew a few folks in Sitka that shared their similar experience. Larry above has lived there, seen the changes, and must have similar memories of boat travel to the northern communities.

Gary

Thank you for the memories of flying in the far north. I visited several of those places Ft. McMurry, Yellowknife, Tuktoyaktuk, Inuvik and others 40 years ago with my 185.

Nice! Brings back some good memories with some good friends on our trip there.
They even let old Norwegian farmers on the grounds.

08062007705U2120Churchill .jpg

08062007705U2081Churchill .jpg

08062007705U2127Churchill .jpg

Attachments

• 08062007705U2120Churchill .jpg
    08062007705U2120Churchill .jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,512
  • 08062007705U2081Churchill .jpg
    08062007705U2081Churchill .jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 1,540
  • 08062007705U2127Churchill .jpg
    08062007705U2127Churchill .jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1,502
After watching the clip about the DEW line I recalled a crusty old pilot I worked with in 1966-67 at Great Bear Lake in the Arctic.
Name was Ernie Boffa......who said he helped with setting up the DEW line locations. No sunset in the summer and the staff and I
would sit around the kitchen table listening to Ernie's fascinating stories until the wee hours........as he, this is the God's truth, would
douse his angel food cake with whiskey. Brings back memories.......and I still remember the old "Thunder Chicken" he flew with
CF-LZO on the bird.

Cool video. I was born in Cochrane Ont. Visited Moosonee once. Reminds me of that.

After watching the clip about the DEW line I recalled a crusty old pilot I worked with in 1966-67 at Great Bear Lake in the Arctic.
Name was Ernie Boffa......who said he helped with setting up the DEW line locations. No sunset in the summer and the staff and I
would sit around the kitchen table listening to Ernie's fascinating stories until the wee hours........as he, this is the God's truth, would
douse his angel food cake with whiskey. Brings back memories.......and I still remember the old "Thunder Chicken" he flew with
CF-LZO on the bird.

Ernie Boffa was one of the very famous old time bush pilots in that part of the world.

Great video, and nice features on the locals, they are truly wonderful people.

MTV

Thanks Mike for the book link...I ordered one for the head library. Better than the reading the FAR's to stay current.

Gary

Thanks Mike for the book link...I ordered one for the head library. Better than the reading the FAR's to stay current.

Gary

You'll enjoy it, Gary, you've been there....not exactly There, but in similar circumstances.

There's at least one "nope, that didn't actually happen" in there, but unless you know deHavilland aircraft fairly well, you wouldn't know it. And, the genesis of the story almost certainly was pretty hairy, in any case.

It is a fun read.

MTV

What an awesome presentation of the life many of us wish we could experience. I have extreme respect for those people.

It's not about the arctic, but...
Wings of the North, by Dick Turner.
He was a trapper & outfitter arund the LIard River country in northern BC in the 60's & 70's.
Good read.
IMG_20220123_072957997.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_072957997.jpg
    IMG_20220123_072957997.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 108
Back