• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sling seat misadventure

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
I was instructing a new tailwheel pilot in the back of a Carbon Cub today in pretty sporty wind conditions. As we were approaching the home airport for our final landing of the lesson, the left side of the sling seat came loose and I was basically almost on the floor with greatly reduced visibility and reduced ability to keep things in check should they go awry. Everything worked out just fine, but the sling seat buckles are now on my pre-flight list in any Carbon Cub!

sj

Had that happen in 1970 in a J3. My large instructor in the back seat did a loop. On the bottom he hit bottom. “Your Airplane” he said as he was lifting himself with the overhead structure trying to stay off the elevator controls.

Rich

On The rear sling seat webbing I made a small hole and put a bolt and nut through it with washers on each side to keep it from sliding. Very simple fix and work real well. Another dangerous thing about the rear seat is that you must use the strap downs for the front bar at the front of the seat. If the bar pops out of the side attached points the seat will tear through the carbon fiber interior panels and slide down to the bottom pushing down on the rudder cable. Ask Margie how she knows this.

I forgot to mention I made the hole in the webbing with a small soldering iron so the webbing would not fray

I've never been able to figure out how they got those sling seats approved on a part 23 airplane.....go figure.

MTV

I've never been able to figure out how they got those sling seats approved on a part 23 airplane.....go figure.

The way the seat support straps are secured is almost identical to the way seat belts are attached in many type certificated gliders. Did any that have loosened or detached have the strap routed through the buckle as specified.

Attachments

• rear seat straps.PNG
    rear seat straps.PNG
    144.9 KB · Views: 100
The way the seat support straps are secured is almost identical to the way seat belts are attached in many type certificated gliders. Did any that have loosened or detached have the strap routed through the buckle as specified.

I'm definitely going to add that last pass through the buckle if it will fit! Should make all the difference. Thanks!

sj

I'm definitely going to add that last pass through the buckle if it will fit!

The routing diagram was taken from the FX-3 AFM. I assume it would also be included in earlier Carbon Cub manuals. That's the way my sling seat is fitted so not much doubt it will fit. It's the same routing as used on my Schleicher sailplane's seatbelts so it was familiar to me before I saw an FX-3.

I was instructing a new tailwheel pilot in the back of a Carbon Cub today in pretty sporty wind conditions. As we were approaching the home airport for our final landing of the lesson, the left side of the sling seat came loose and I was basically almost on the floor with greatly reduced visibility and reduced ability to keep things in check should they go awry. Everything worked out just fine, but the sling seat buckles are now on my pre-flight list in any Carbon Cub!

sj

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/plans-franchise

Glenn

On The rear sling seat webbing I made a small hole and put a bolt and nut through it with washers on each side to keep it from sliding. Very simple fix and work real well. Another dangerous thing about the rear seat is that you must use the strap downs for the front bar at the front of the seat. If the bar pops out of the side attached points the seat will tear through the carbon fiber interior panels and slide down to the bottom pushing down on the rudder cable. Ask Margie how she knows this.

Maybe George will loan you one of these to keep thing secure

Screenshot_20220120-092259.png

Glenn

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-092259.png
    Screenshot_20220120-092259.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 85
When I was playing with belts awhile back I noticed quite a number that were only threaded through the first two directions in the buckle. Ease of install or laziness, or simply not reading/understanding but as the diagram shows it’s three passes.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Here is the Notification Bulletin on the rear seat webbing. http://cubcrafters.com/c/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/NB00002_Rev_A.pdf

Thanks for that link Steve. Strangely neither the FX-3 AFM , not the FX-3 maintenance manual, have a clear image showing which tubes the straps should be attached to. I had completely removed the seat a while ago and, when I checked today, I found I had attached to different tubes. It's right now.

I periodically run a search for all CCX-2000 service bulletins and some that are relevant are excluded by the site filters.

I find all kinds of things dispersed through all the Cub Crafters documents plus I have gotten some yet released manuals. I run a service document compliance check on every CC product that comes through here and am starting to memorize them like the Piper stuff. :crazyeyes: Some good info in the EX build manuals and videos which I find helpful maintaining and repairing as well. I'm a data junky. ;)

When I was playing with belts awhile back I noticed quite a number that were only threaded through the first two directions in the buckle. Ease of install or laziness, or simply not reading/understanding but as the diagram shows it’s three passes....

My jump seat belts are only threaded through the "3 bar" in two directions.
I can hardly get them loosened up enough to adjust, so I'm not too worried about them letting go accidently.

Wish I'd seen this thread a few days ago...
Was getting familiar with a new Tailwheel students airplane and while just sitting in the airplane, in the Hangar, the seat let go... I ended up in the Cargo compartment. Glad we were on the ground.
I re-threaded the belts the way I though was correct and kept an eye on them for the first flight.. they were slowly giving way. We landed immediately, went back to the diagram and re-threaded, CORRECTLY... have not had another problem but suggest he buy the fixed seat..:)

I know this is an old thread, but.....I'm building an FX3 and am planning to buy the Tac-Aero fixed rear seat. It comes out very easily and is just as comfortable as the front seat. I flew a few circuits from back there during my FX3 training course with Tac-Aero and could land it almost as well from the back as from the front with their fixed seat. I know Cub Crafters offers a factory fixed rear seat too, but it does not come out as easily as the tac-aero one. The tradeoff is probably more crashworthiness for the CC seat. Either one has to be more crashworthy than a sling seat though. My one concern is that I do have my intercom mounted to the ceiling of the cabin below the turtle deck, I hope it doesn't impact the available headroom with the fixed rear seat installed. I'd imagine that both the Tac Aero and CC fixed seats add 10-15 lbs of weight compared to the sling, but not sure. The fixed seat bases also make the rear cabin floor less flat which could impede loading certain items or sleeping in the airplane.

Last edited:
..Was getting familiar with a new Tailwheel students airplane and while just sitting in the airplane, in the Hangar, the seat let go... I ended up in the Cargo compartment. Glad we were on the ground.
I re-threaded the belts the way I though was correct and kept an eye on them for the first flight.. they were slowly giving way. We landed immediately, went back to the diagram and re-threaded, CORRECTLY... have not had another problem but suggest he buy the fixed seat..:)
There is lacing which holds seat slings in place and there are safety belts which holds the pilot in place. What did you re-thread which you are calling belts? Seat slings can be very comfortable if the proper cushions are used.

My wife went for her first ride in my new EX-3 last week. She was very pleased with how comfortable the sling seat was. It does need to be installed correctly.

John

There is lacing which holds seat slings in place and there are safety belts which holds the pilot in place. What did you re-thread which you are calling belts? Seat slings can be very comfortable if the proper cushions are used.

Pete,

The rear seats in these planes are a “hammock”, suspended by straps to fuselage tubes.

MTV

Pete,

The rear seats in these planes are a “hammock”, suspended by straps to fuselage tubes.

MTV
I understand Mike, just like the T-craft I owned long ago. The OP mentioned tightening BELTS. The only BELTS I am aware of are the seat/safety belts.

I understand Mike, just like the T-craft I owned long ago. The OP mentioned tightening BELTS. The only BELTS I am aware of are the seat/safety belts.

Pete, go look in a CC next time you see one. No seat structure like a Tcraft or J3, just a Butt/Back hammock hung with belts like Mike says. Rear seater just hovers around

Glenn

Back