• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Insulation and Soundproofing

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
Does anyone have any suggestions on a material for insulation and soundproofing a new/ rebuilt bootcowl? It’s a certified-18.

It's been 20 yrs. and I can't give you a name but I used an aluminum backed high density green foam.....about 1/4" thick.....came in sheets about 3' wide.
self sticking ( and I mean self sticking......once placed it's not coming off)
Really helps with noise...somewhat warmer I think .... and no oil canning of the boot cowl.
I'd do it again.

I once knew a guy who put rubber on his boot cowl in his 172. Man that thing was quiet! The rubber itself was between an eighth and a quarter inch thick (estimate) and he just used some spray on contact cement to put it on there. It made a big difference.

Last edited:
Selkirk Aviation in Idaho sells soundproofing and insulating foam rubber for aircraft use. I think they have 1/2 and 1/4 inch thick.

MTV

Dynamat is used for car interiors and is very easily available. My brother has that in his Taylorcraft and it works very well to quiet it down inside.

Dynamat is used for car interiors and is very easily available. My brother has that in his Taylorcraft and it works very well to quiet it down inside.

If its the same stuff I used for the engine box on my side x side, yes it works well but damn is it heavy! Not sure that is what I would be using in the plane.

I like the Lizard Skin stuff for cars. Has anyone weighed a panel coated with this stuff? I'd like to try it on the next firewall/boot cowl.

Web

Noise canceling headset;-)

What you're referring to is I believe, is the noise reduction technique of taking a quality ANR headset, or several, and running it through a table or band saw with a fine tooth blade, and then taking the resultant 1/4" slices and gluing them to the firewall. We know how well the headsets work..., this just gets them working right up on the firewall where the noise originates.

I have a thin foam layer on the firewall for heat. Zero noise concerns so nada on the boot or anywhere else. No problem. My A20 helmet comm works perfectly. The same is true in the 180, but I will say Zulu 3s are superior to 2s, but both are pretty damn good. We’ve come a very long way in the last 25 years!

My A20 helmet comm works perfectly. The same is true in the 180, but I will say Zulu 3s are superior to 2s, but both are pretty damn good. We’ve come a very long way in the last 25 years!

Imagine if the FAA had to approve new aviation headsets like they do aircraft mods. We would be using ear plugs and some cans connected with string!

Aircraft Spruce carry’s various thicknesses and types of soundmat, some self adhering, some you have to use contact cement. There’s at least a couple of 3M glues available in spray cans that work real well and are a snap to apply. Better than a can and a brush by far.
Spruce even offers a FREE booklet on “Soundproofing Your Light Aircraft” for what it’s worth. There are some good tips in that booklet.

Cheers, Oz

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Checking in - any updates or additional recommendations on insulation/soundproofing material?
- light, non-moisture holding, non-corrosive, non-deterioration

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It would be cool to gather some data on sound reduction.....like measure the sound intensity before and after each product and area was modified. A chart with sound reduction, weight gain, and cost would be good data. I'm building right now....maybe some day unless someone beats me to it.

Back