• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What Knot to Do AKA Securing AC in Extreme Weather - AKA Crazy Winds on the HDHP on WED 1/12/22

A cordless drill with a pump on it is a small weight penalty and pays huge when you have to fill or pump floats out.

I rigged up a small electric pump right after I performed this very "trick" on a Beaver......geeezzzz! Carried that thing around for years. This was before there were "cordless drills". Same concept, though.

MTV

Steve Johnson. Did I hear correctly you don't allow plane owners to tie their planes down INTO the wind when at New Holstein?

Carabiner users. Do you use the locking carabiners, or just spring gate?

The suggestion about a length of cable with eyelet and cable clamps was great. Have found cut off cables many times right where I wanted to tie down. Will be making some of these and keeping in the tool kit.

Jim

Steve Johnson. Did I hear correctly you don't allow plane owners to tie their planes down INTO the wind when at New Holstein?

Carabiner users. Do you use the locking carabiners, or just spring gate?

The suggestion about a length of cable with eyelet and cable clamps was great. Have found cut off cables many times right where I wanted to tie down. Will be making some of these and keeping in the tool kit.

Jim
He said in the video that what matters is the kN value. I bought spring-gated ones rated at 8kN, which is about 1800 pounds. Not enough to lift the airplane, but probably stronger than the tiedown ring.

Steve Johnson. Did I hear correctly you don't allow plane owners to tie their planes down INTO the wind when at New Holstein

Jim
Just in the main grass parking area we all face East. if people are concerned they are better off on the ramp. I'm not in charge this year so everybody may face north! [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Knots Image1643452881.999701.jpg

So, tie the tail first, with either 1/2 hitches or inside hitch knot. Then roll aircraft forward so knot is tight and it will roll over and grow tighter. Tie down forward facing struts ropes so ropes pull against the tail rope.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1643452881.999701.jpg
    Image1643452881.999701.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 109
Also I do not run the big tail wheel. In soft beach sand it’s a brake. Any toe brake pressure in soft sand locks the mains up and danger to digging deep or hard swerve or shiny side down. Takeoff roll the trim all the way forward pushing also on control column and heels on the floor! Use lots of grease!!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Polly Creek Johnny Swiss? Have not heard that name in awhile. We used to set net on Chisik but Johnny would drop by time to time to chat with dad.

Have always wanted to land at Chisik and meet folks living there. Was invited by radio to stop in for coffee some years back but couldn’t find the time. I regret it now because fella is probably gone. I’m sure the stories would have been interesting.

My wife and I were laughing at the beginning of the video. The pink Flamingos �� are ours. The Cub is in a hangar in Palmer on wheel skis for the nasty part of the winter. It’ll be next to the flamingos toward the end of March.
on a side note I was doing the annual during the windstorm out there. It was crazy and sounded like a freight train was going through the hangar as the gusts came through.

MISSING-Spinner and prop blade cover

After the blow last month thru Lake Hood I've lost one blade cover and spinner cover.

They should be somewhere between the North shore of Lake Hood and Kodiak.;-)

907-to 4 to-1777 thanks for any help! David

Attachments

• prop & spinner cover 1.jpg
    prop & spinner cover 1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 77
  • prop & spinner cover 2.jpg
    prop & spinner cover 2.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 66
^^^^Check fence lines and the downwind side of buildings when the snow melts

Edit: Brush is a good flying part snatcher

Gary

Last edited:
Have always wanted to land at Chisik and meet folks living there. Was invited by radio to stop in for coffee some years back but couldn’t find the time. I regret it now because fella is probably gone. I’m sure the stories would have been interesting.

If you are ever in the area give a shout. My buddies still fishing over there in the summer and we drop in all the time for coffee, burn some dogs or burgers and stretch our legs. Never hurts to grease the skids with a bottle of rum, that can assure a dry space to sleep and hang out if you find yourself in bad weather and needing to sit it out (been there done that). Are you the guy from Fairbanks? If so, I think I met you when ya came by the house with a busted acme stinger, you had landed at my brothers place and rode into town with him.

Will do.
Fortunately wasn’t me with the busted spring!
I’m out of AK01

If you are ever in the area give a shout. My buddies still fishing over there in the summer and we drop in all the time for coffee, burn some dogs or burgers and stretch our legs. Never hurts to grease the skids with a bottle of rum, that can assure a dry space to sleep and hang out if you find yourself in bad weather and needing to sit it out (been there done that). Are you the guy from Fairbanks? If so, I think I met you when ya came by the house with a busted acme stinger, you had landed at my brothers place and rode into town with him.

Spoiler Panels

I received my spoiler mesh panels from Alaska Wing Covers and tried them on. I hope I never really need them but I will sleep better knowing they're installed when I leave it parked outside. I'm looking forward to camping in Idaho and Montana this summer and the spoilers will be with me along with the Abe's Tie Downs.

I have learned a lot from this thread and the HDHP presentation.

By the way, when I wind tested the spoilers, it took a lot more runway to get airborne!!
:bang

View attachment 60076View attachment 60077View attachment 60075View attachment 60073View attachment 60074

You were able to get airborne?

Naw …. just kidding. Sorry. I sort of wanted to do a fast taxi to see how much they slap and vibrate but I decided not to take chances. Getting airborne with those attached might have been disastrous!

FWIW, Linda Drummond sold AK Wing Covers and is totally out of the business, so y’all that have a Linda loyalty need to do a reboot.

See how those covers work in real conditions. The full mesh covers with spoilers place the spoilers nearer the leading edge of the wing than in your pics. Do an online search for examples. I have a full wing cover set for Cubs that were built that way. I understand the caution about VG's vs covers, but there's lots of potential lift still available near the leading edge when placed like in your pictures. Pull them on from the wing front and remove to the rear to avoid the VG's sharper rear edge.

Gary

I tryed out a new set of Kennons mesh covers with spoilers one time to see what would happen trying to take
off in a Super Cub w/ 0320 with Borer prop on it; down at Painter CK Lodge on that big runway. I went the compleate length of it numerous runs trying to see what would happen ???? NOTHING.
There was no possible way to get it going forward fast enough to get it to fly, not even close. We survived ugly winds down on the peninsula over the years, and I felt like spoiler wing covers and Atlees beef up kit on the wing attachment brackets were of the same important's as a rifle & matches.........
E

Last edited:
A picture of the Kennon spoiler location for full covers would inform. Pic of my T-Craft below. So maybe install the partial cover spoilers next to the VG's in front of the flaps?

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 68
I would also push them more forward. I run full mess covers with spoilers and the mess sets over the VG'S without any problem. DENNY

A70B090A-9EF8-488A-82FF-163BFCC2B609.jpg

44D3EC86-E2CC-4FB6-95F5-5BD85250B582.jpeg

Kennon mesh covers with spoilers.

Attachments

• A70B090A-9EF8-488A-82FF-163BFCC2B609.jpg
    A70B090A-9EF8-488A-82FF-163BFCC2B609.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 44D3EC86-E2CC-4FB6-95F5-5BD85250B582.jpeg
    44D3EC86-E2CC-4FB6-95F5-5BD85250B582.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 88
FWIW, Linda Drummond sold AK Wing Covers and is totally out of the business, so y’all that have a Linda loyalty need to do a reboot.

I spoke to Kurt McKenzie when I called AK Wing Covers to order my spoilers. He was very helpful and available to answer my questions. I don't know if he is the owner now but I liked his customer service. The shipping was a lot more expensive than I expected and he apologized for that and said that he and the "mail" lady were both surprised so they checked all the available options. The package was about 10lbs and shipped from Wasilla to Silverdale, WA - $76. I'm still happy to have them.

It turns out that Kurt used to live near me and kept his yellow N4 at Apex Airpark where I live. I mentioned him to a couple of neighbors who remembered him well and said he does good work and was a good addition to the airpark. I think he left for Alaska about 20 years ago. He has my recommendation.

Spoiler placement

See how those covers work in real conditions. The full mesh covers with spoilers place the spoilers nearer the leading edge of the wing than in your pics. Do an online search for examples. I have a full wing cover set for Cubs that were built that way. I understand the caution about VG's vs covers, but there's lots of potential lift still available near the leading edge when placed like in your pictures. Pull them on from the wing front and remove to the rear to avoid the VG's sharper rear edge.

Gary

I had the same thought when I put them on the wing so I called Kurt at AK Wing Covers. He told me it doesn't matter since the wing has a constant cord.

I wonder where "TurboBeaver" had his spoilers for his test runs?

Does anybody have aerodynamics background that could explain this? I doubt it makes a lot of difference where they are (other than hanging off the back of the wing!).

:cheers

The spoilers were in the standard position Kennon covers always put them, about at the back of leading edge approximately, for anyone that doesn't have insurance
The spoilers are about the best policy you can get. Highly recommend em. Over the years we have simply sewen the tubes on lots of other wing covers big enough to accept a foam doodle and when I found myself without foam a spruce bough pulled through the tubes expand them nicely and works perfectly. So if your wife is handy with the old sewing machine for less than $20 you can sew on some spoiler tubes, I leave em flat till it's going to blow then expand em as I need them. That way they fold up just as flat as normal wing covers
E

Spoiler placement by Kennon is proven to work. From an aerodynamics point the higher the AOA of the wing the more forward and higher the upper surface aerodynamic lift. For a tri-gear plane that sits relatively flat when parked it may not matter as much where the spoilers are placed, unlike a tailwheel plane on tall gear and tires. Eventually at the stall the wing near the leading edge is carrying the weight while the rest of the wing does less.

Killing the lift where it's at a maximum would be my goal. Typically the lift center of pressure is about 25-30% aft of the LE (what I've read; Cub's about 30%), so put the spoilers forward of that. Like Kennon did.

Gary

Back