• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A simple question that most of us must face, sooner or later...

The simple question that some, if not all of us must face at some time or another. am I going to sell my Super Cub? for me it might be just about thst time, im old, fat and beat up. at only 62 years old I feel im 106yo. 50 to 60 pounds over weight (yes my wife & I are trying) but 20 plus years as a Army Paratrooper is now taking its toll on me. and I might say its awful ! sell the cub and buy a 180 /185? 182 or 206? them are options. and im leaning that way. and just thinking about sell my cub I've owned about 20 years makes me just ill. reality is a bitch. needless to say my 180 HP S/C might be on the chopping block. your thoughts and advice are welcome. Scott

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-131405_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-131405_Messages.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot_20220108-131348_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-131348_Messages.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Hold your horses. 62 is young. Cut the carbs, no alcohol, no processed food, no vegetable oil. All the weight and nearly all the aches and pains will go away. You can be healthy if you want to be, or you can trade down to a geezer's airplane.

Hold your horses. 62 is young. Cut the carbs, no alcohol, no processed food, no vegetable oil. All the weight and nearly all the aches and pains will go away. You can be healthy if you want to be, or you can trade down to a geezer's airplane.

Get off any Statins, joint killers

Glenn

A Skywagon or 206 ain’t a bad way to go. There isn’t much to fret about there.

Last edited:
Keto with intermittent fasting. Zero inflammation. Avoid doctors like the plague. They kill more people now than any other time in history.

Cut the carbs, no alcohol, no processed food, no vegetable oil. All the weight and nearly all the aches and pains will go away.

You'd kill me! 165 lb and over 6ft. It's only beer that keeps me up to a reasonable flying weight!

I find that stretching regularly helps keep me limber enough to climb in and out of the cockpit. I’m not especially graceful, but still able to do it. My stretches came from Egoscue (particularly helpful) and the local Spine and Sport physical therapy clinic. Perhaps stretching would help you, too.

I’m with Glenn as far as statins are concerned: really made my joints ache. It took a few tries, but I did find one that doesn’t make me hurt.

To the health component? Read “Eat To Live” by Joel Fuhrman. Go plant based. Life changing. In the short term? Get some Ginger Root and Turmeric capsules. Either compounded or take one of each. If you have aches and pains I’ll bet you’ll notice a difference within two days.

Wow! You guys are making me feel better already. 75 yrs. old, 5' 10" and 200lbs. I have absolutely no trouble getting into the front of back sear of a cub. Yahoo! Guess I need to just keep hammering away.

If you are selling it due to addressable health issues, you might want to consider addressing your health first, if possible. You'll enjoy life and flying much longer if you do. At 63, I lost 120# to address various health issues. At 66 next month, even with artificial knees and a fused lower spine, I am much more active, flexible and capable than I was 10 years ago. Climbing in and out of the Cub and working wadded up upside down in the cockpit of my RV isn't a challenge anymore.

If you're selling for other reasons, or your health issues can't be addressed, it's a great time to sell. Just not a great time to be buying another plane. Pick the plane that best fits your mission and budget, then go for it while you can.

Cub Builder

It’s winter. Keep working on the kitchen. Make the decision in the spring when flying is fun!

Address your health. Changing planes, cars or locations because you are not currently healthy is a road to total unhappiness.

I know quite a few people that lost over 100 pounds. Some took a year, some did surgery, some totally changes their diets.

Sometimes it is tough to do the right thing for yourself, but only you can decide what that is for you.

Best of luck what ever you choose. In winter we all get in our own minds and come up with crazy ideas. Sometimes they might be good ideas even!:lol:

I am 80. I am cultivating young friends who will pull the stool away from the Cub door - come to think about it, I bet I can maneuver around said stool. Also have my friends ready to tell me "Bob, you need to quit driving, and be more careful flying."

The airplane may pass to somebody younger, but not before they spread my ashes over the Montgomery River.

Go push a 206 around then see how you feel about the cub.:lol: AKTANGO58 hit the nail on the head. Go fix you health, I had great luck with Physical Therapy for my back. If you have bad arthritis in knees or hips just get them replaced. Weight loss is key in all of it, don't try to diet on your own. Get involved with a group and set up a exercise program. It only takes a 30 lb weight loss to make a huge difference. DENNY

To the weight thing? Skeletal aches and pains are likely a symptom of weight. I’m on a reduction plan so I’m not just talking. I’ve had 11 orthopedic surgeries, more broken bones than I can count, and a diagnosis of severe lumbar arthritis that requires nerve ablation every year. But I’m not finished with this life or this body so I’m making the effort to extend my ability to be active. Wife and I are planning to do a walking trip in the Algarve region of Portugal this spring, a trip postponed for two years thanks to Covid. The longest day will be 14 miles. Thats about 28,000 steps. If I lose 25 pounds my legs will carry 700,000 fewer pounds that day. Do the math on that for 10 days. Yikes! I’ve done lots of different diets over the years and without question the most effective was when injecting HCG in combination with a starvation diet. But that’s not sustainable. For other health reasons my petite wife has gone plant based and I’ve found it easy to do it with her. I’m also using the Noom app to log food and water intake. The app rewards exercise with increased calories and as simple as that sounds, accountability in the app is very helpful. And it’s working. Their approach is that you don’t have to give up anything, you simply have to learn to moderate high calorie density foods. Want a cookie? Have a cookie. Want a beer? Have a beer. But understand what doing so does to your daily calorie budget. It’s a very good program.

Last edited:
Two more thumbs up for Noom. I've used it of and on for years, I need to get back "on" right now!

sj

A number of sources have debunked the likelihood of this being the only reason - or he was eating a LOT of bacon...

Truth is, weight loss is just calorie math. You need a certain number of calories (no matter what they are made of - they may be good or bad for other reasons) to keep the weight you have, if you reduce those calories you lose weight, if you increase them, you gain weight. If you exercise, you burn more calories so it takes more to keep the weight on.

Since you have to run for ten or fifteen minutes to knock off the calories of one beer, it is easier to just not drink the one beer.

sj

Going from a supercub to a 180 or 185 is "trading down to a geezer's airplane"?
Wow.

im shocked at the response in a good way, your input is a good thing. my issues are not one sided. yes, im over weight. dietary is mostly what im doing now. my back, knees, neck are all a mess do to 20 years on jump statis in the Army. Im not making excuses here, just facing reality. my years of going low and slow may not be over, im just thinking it over for now. I have own Cessna,s in the past. there great to. but ill miss this cub something terribly, thats for sure. Scott

As a sufferer of a life of repetitive sports movements, I will say that losing weight will really help your paratrooper days. Anytime you can eliminate weight that your joints have to support makes a world of difference. I love to eat, but quality of life is why we worked so hard (I still work) to get to this point in our lives so we can enjoy it. Buckle down and get healthy.

After you lose weight, IF you have chronic joint pain I highly recommend getting pain management injections. I could not live without them every 12-18 months.

Don’t throw the towel in, buckle down!

Good luck

I am 79 with almost 2k skydives and 40 years of motorcycle racing. I t hurts all over but I can still get in and out of my Tcraft.

Jim

im shocked at the response in a good way, your input is a good thing. my issues are not one sided. yes, im over weight. dietary is mostly what im doing now. my back, knees, neck are all a mess do to 20 years on jump statis in the Army. Im not making excuses here, just facing reality. my years of going low and slow may not be over, im just thinking it over for now. I have own Cessna,s in the past. there great to. but ill miss this cub something terribly, thats for sure. Scott

Get a Javron kit with the door mod. That 4" makes a world of difference on ease of entry

Glenn

Plant based will make a big difference in those aches and pains.
Some really good research measuring CO output is suggesting that walking is one of the best things for weight loss.
I tried 2 meals a day. I said for years I couldn't do it but once I tried and got serious about daily walks I dropped the 10 lbs real quick that had snuck on in the last year. Slept better too. It's basically along the lines of the intermittent fasting stuff. No calories at all for at least 16 hours every 24 (4pm-8am). Hard at first until it is a habit and you start to see good results.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

10 kilos in 90 days….chicken and salad. Nothing white, except foe chicken. Coffee black. I’m 68 and I have 2 friends 92 and 94 yo and still flying…they are my hero’s and I tell them every time I speak to them.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Fighting the same situation.Am now 80 yrs ,basic med and a recent flight review and real careful when I take my stock L21B out if the wind is up . Thinking about a nice straight tail 172 but if I could afford it, the 206 would be the choice hands down.Lifts plenty of weight, fixed gear ,good short field performance,reasonable speed and very harmonious controls.

Last summer before and after hip replacement getting into my Cub was impossible. The 180 was easy. My bigger concern with limited mobility is my ability to get out quickly if the situation dictates.

Last summer before and after hip replacement getting into my Cub was impossible. The 180 was easy. My bigger concern with limited mobility is my ability to get out quickly if the situation dictates.

I think about that a lot - especially instructing in the back when a very large person is in front.

sj

Back