• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cowl Flaps

Yep, Hartzell-style (incl Whirl Wind) prop bolts are much easier with their prop wrench.

ASA makes good stuff. I use their crankcase vacuum kit and oil separator. I couldn't be happier. I never knew anything about crankcase vacuums before talking to ASA. Car racers have been doing it for years (so has ASA), and guess what ASA's primary business is? Building dragster engines for sand rails.

Wow thanks for sharing. The cowl flaps aren't of interest for me personally but the rest of the products on that site are pure gold. The oil cooler shutter they make is really neat.

Yep, Hartzell-style (incl Whirl Wind) prop bolts are much easier with their prop wrench.

ASA makes good stuff. I use their crankcase vacuum kit and oil separator. I couldn't be happier. I never knew anything about crankcase vacuums before talking to ASA. Car racers have been doing it for years (so has ASA), and guess what ASA's primary business is? Building dragster engines for sand rails.
Have you done a comparisons on your current engine with and without the vacuum setup? Any indication it makes the 3-5 more hp they claim?

Have had the vacuum kit on mine for a little over a year. Sorry I can't speak to a HP increase or not because of playing with the ground adj. prop at the same time. Can tell you that it works and keeps a clean belly. I removed the unit at the exhaust at 50 hrs. to check for a clogging and it was clean as a whistle.

Same here. Added it to the new engine. Been smiling the whole time. Never an oil drip, always clean oil. Allan has more dyno experience than any human I’ve ever spoken with and I have no reason to doubt his claim. What sold me was improved ring sealing. The other plus is it solves all the problems that air-oil separators have without a vacuum.

Same here. Added it to the new engine. Been smiling the whole time. Never an oil drip, always clean oil. Allan has more dyno experience than any human I’ve ever spoken with and I have no reason to doubt his claim. What sold me was improved ring sealing. The other plus is it solves all the problems that air-oil separators have without a vacuum.

Cool, thanks for costing me more money. Putting in the order now. The online "instruction picture" does not show clearly, but I am assuming it clamps onto the tail pipe off the muffler?

I use the EZ oil filter drain from them as well and it works great!

Yes, in the pipe a few inches after the muffler, depending on how it fits in the space. I just wanted to be sure the siphon pipe pointed down so there can’t be any reservoir in the hose.

Wow thanks for sharing. The cowl flaps aren't of interest for me personally but the rest of the products on that site are pure gold. The oil cooler shutter they make is really neat.

That oil cooler shutter is really slick. Installed one on our Pacer this fall and its working great at keeping the oil temp up. Nice being able to adjust it in flight instead of the previous guessing game with duct tape.

I'm intrigued by their oil filter removal tool. Anyone using it? Does anyone have a concern about blowing oil (or metal pieces from piercing the cooler) back into the engine for any reason? - I know that sounds a bit over the top, but it can't hurt to ask. Also does he imply in the video that the application of pressure also empties the oil cooler and lines? If so, this is a really good idea. After all, how many people drain their oil coolers at oil change? I've always found changing the filter a messy job, but I know some people are good at doing it neatly - Honestly, I just never have been good at it. :oops::oops::oops:. And at the risk of sounding stupid... Does the suction kit replace the air oil separator, which they still sell?

If your oil filter drains back into the crankcase at shut down? There’s no reason to have an oil filter.

I have a crankcase vacuum kit and an oil-air separator. The vacuum kit works without a separator but you’ll need to be more vigilant about coking at the fitting. With a vacuum kit a separator works really well. No regrets.

I run the vacuum kit without the oil separator with no issues. I do check for coking in the check valve and at the tail pipe but have found no problems yet. Still as clean as when installed. I don't know how much engine condition might affect the performance of the product. I don't loaf along either, and usually run 2500 to 2550 as it really purrs at that RPM and I don't buy into increasing longevity of an engine by running at lower RPMs. Don't know if this matters regarding the product either, its just what I have observed.

For guys wondering about crankcase vacuum and whether it’s a real thing? Here’s a kit Moroso sells for car engines. It uses the same angled tip in the exhaust stream and the same check valve to maintain vacuum. Moroso has more elaborate systems using belt driven vacuum pumps, and here’s a link that demonstrates who’s using them.

https://www.moroso.com/crankcase-evacuation-system25900/

https://youtu.be/1Educ-HsJvQ

And here’s a video of car engine dyno runs with and without vacuum.
https://youtu.be/-7bGshirEKI

Last edited:
Back