• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bearhawk Patrol

In the woods
Thought I'd post a few pics of the latest project. The kit was delivered on January 12th, a seaplane fuselage with left door. We wanted to maintain the left door and still have dual left quadrants so I came up with this arrangement, seems to work very well. One of Bob Barrows' O360's, Whirlwind GA prop. Dynon 10 inch screen, radio, transponder, intercom, knob panel, ADSB. Sport Aircraft Seats, The wings are closed up and ready for paint, still have to cover the flaps and ailerons and finish up the wing tips. I'll update empty weight when done. I don't expect it to be the lightest Patrol but sure is a nice one.
Pic 201.jpgPic 177.jpgPic 192.jpgPic 185.jpgPic 199.jpg

Attachments

• Pic 201.jpg
    Pic 201.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 335
  • Pic 177.jpg
    Pic 177.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 477
  • Pic 192.jpg
    Pic 192.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 348
  • Pic 185.jpg
    Pic 185.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 410
  • Pic 199.jpg
    Pic 199.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 246
The plane looks amazing in these photos, and yet somehow looks even better in person

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Can you tell a little about the throttle quadrant? It looks like it stays with the door but I don't see any way for it to disconnect to allow the door to go down. How does that work?

The doors hinge is at the front of the door. The quadrants stay on the door and swing with it. The rod end bearings have lateral movement in them when 1/4" spacers are place on each side of the bearing ball, this allows the door to be swung open. It does advance the throttle as the door is opened and the belcrank is pulled so the door is placarded "Engine off for left door use". My IA buddy was worried about 'hysteresis' which is the accumulation of small errors resulting in a large deviation however with this arrangement there is zero play or slop in the system. It should work well.Pic 198.jpg

Attachments

• Pic 198.jpg
    Pic 198.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 257
Ah that makes sense. I didn't know the door swings forward. I'm assuming there's some limit on the doors swing to keep from damaging those rod ends?

I really like the fuel level indicator for the sight gauge. Nice and simple.

Again, not a mechanic, but Pete, you might be missing a part or three...:smile:8)

What will your starting point for wing incidence to float be?
One must have some faith that the plans are correct. These floats have 0.1 degrees more fish mouth opening than my Cub.

Last edited:

The doors hinge is at the front of the door. The quadrants stay on the door and swing with it. The rod end bearings have lateral movement in them when 1/4" spacers are place on each side of the bearing ball, this allows the door to be swung open. It does advance the throttle as the door is opened and the belcrank is pulled so the door is placarded "Engine off for left door use". My IA buddy was worried about 'hysteresis' which is the accumulation of small errors resulting in a large deviation however with this arrangement there is zero play or slop in the system. It should work well.
A thought: It appears the throttle handle hits the top aft bolt as a stop. What would happen if you provided more clearance there and utilized the stop on the carburetor only? Then when you open the door the throttle handle would have room to move and not increase the rpm.

Sometimes when on floats it is convenient to open the door with the engine still running. And also not want it to speed up above idle.

I see where you're going with that. Actually the carb stop is the limiter and there's a little more movement to the throttle both fore and aft, I made sure of that. I don't think there's enough travel to adjust it that far, it pulls the belcrank about an inch when the door is opened. It's a compromise I know.

A thought: It appears the throttle handle hits the top aft bolt as a stop. What would happen if you provided more clearance there and utilized the stop on the carburetor only? Then when you open the door the throttle handle would have room to move and not increase the rpm.

Sometimes when on floats it is convenient to open the door with the engine still running. And also not want it to speed up above idle.

I see where you're going with that. Actually the carb stop is the limiter and there's a little more movement to the throttle both fore and aft, I made sure of that. I don't think there's enough travel to adjust it that far, it pulls the belcrank about an inch when the door is opened. It's a compromise I know.
What would happen if the throttle was further forward closer to the hinge? The arc travel would be less.
I like your thinking, I'm just seeing issues when on floats.

For floats, it's hard to beat a set of EDO 2000s. Alternatively, a set of Montana 2200 straight floats. They have very similar characteristics. The Montanas have a wider flat deck for walking.

I have looked at that image of the throttle and my mind sees a frightening scenario.
There are ways to mount that throttle to the airframe and not the door which would greatly reduce the chance of throttle being opened by someone who is not used to or properly coached to the needed cautions.

Charlie, elaborate on your idea please. A major requirement for this plane was the ability to have a rear throttle on the left side for 'training' purposes. I could have used a cable that ran under the door frame from the rear and another from the front that connected at some point but that has it's own problems.

How about keeping the same rigging between the throttles but use a push-pull cable from the front throttle to carb? If the cable routing was left with some slack, it seems like there should be enough room for the door to open and close. And, as long as the carb end was anchored correctly, the carb setting won't move.

Web

Not for nothing, but Dave built it. It’s done, it works well. With better ideas perhaps he will make the next one differently, but only if truly a better solution is found.
So far all the ideas were discussed and hashed about, and this was the answer.

It’s okay to build the way it works best for you.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Looks pretty cool. I’m sure touching it in person and seeing how it works would quiet many questions we have….you can only tell so much from a picture. I like it.

Good thoughts guys, there may be other ways to skin this cat but this made the most sense considering the parameters I was working with. The throttle works perfectly and smoothly with low chance of failure points which was my primary concern.

Back