Thread: Bearhawk Patrol

Post Thanks / Like

Bearhawk Patrol

Thought I'd post a few pics of the latest project. The kit was delivered on January 12th, a seaplane fuselage with left door. We wanted to maintain the left door and still have dual left quadrants so I came up with this arrangement, seems to work very well. One of Bob Barrows' O360's, Whirlwind GA prop. Dynon 10 inch screen, radio, transponder, intercom, knob panel, ADSB. Sport Aircraft Seats, The wings are closed up and ready for paint, still have to cover the flaps and ailerons and finish up the wing tips. I'll update empty weight when done. I don't expect it to be the lightest Patrol but sure is a nice one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 201.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	58943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 177.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	58944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 192.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	58945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 185.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	58946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 199.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	58947

Post Thanks / Like
    The plane looks amazing in these photos, and yet somehow looks even better in person

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you tell a little about the throttle quadrant? It looks like it stays with the door but I don't see any way for it to disconnect to allow the door to go down. How does that work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bearhawk doors open like a car door?
    Thanks C130jake thanked for this post
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The doors hinge is at the front of the door. The quadrants stay on the door and swing with it. The rod end bearings have lateral movement in them when 1/4" spacers are place on each side of the bearing ball, this allows the door to be swung open. It does advance the throttle as the door is opened and the belcrank is pulled so the door is placarded "Engine off for left door use". My IA buddy was worried about 'hysteresis' which is the accumulation of small errors resulting in a large deviation however with this arrangement there is zero play or slop in the system. It should work well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 198.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	58959

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ingenious!!
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Is it going on floats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah that makes sense. I didn't know the door swings forward. I'm assuming there's some limit on the doors swing to keep from damaging those rod ends?

I really like the fuel level indicator for the sight gauge. Nice and simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good Dave!
    Bearhawk Companion QB Builder
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA
    Likes grbreen liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a Patrol on floats. Are there any others?

Name:	20211221_093630.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	58974

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Here's a Patrol on floats. Are there any others?

Name:	20211221_093630.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	58974
    Again, not a mechanic, but Pete, you might be missing a part or three...

What will your starting point for wing incidence to float be?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Looks great. What floats are going on this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Again, not a mechanic, but Pete, you might be missing a part or three...

What will your starting point for wing incidence to float be?
    One must have some faith that the plans are correct. These floats have 0.1 degrees more fish mouth opening than my Cub.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 12-24-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post

ID:	58944
    The doors hinge is at the front of the door. The quadrants stay on the door and swing with it. The rod end bearings have lateral movement in them when 1/4" spacers are place on each side of the bearing ball, this allows the door to be swung open. It does advance the throttle as the door is opened and the belcrank is pulled so the door is placarded "Engine off for left door use". My IA buddy was worried about 'hysteresis' which is the accumulation of small errors resulting in a large deviation however with this arrangement there is zero play or slop in the system. It should work well.
    A thought: It appears the throttle handle hits the top aft bolt as a stop. What would happen if you provided more clearance there and utilized the stop on the carburetor only? Then when you open the door the throttle handle would have room to move and not increase the rpm.

Sometimes when on floats it is convenient to open the door with the engine still running. And also not want it to speed up above idle.
    N1PA
    Likes Bill Rusk, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish the rear float struts had threaded forks to make it easier to experiment

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I wish the rear float struts had threaded forks to make it easier to experiment

Glenn
    There are provisions in the rear fitting for this purpose.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure yet Tom, any suggestions?
    Straight float, 2000 lb gross

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Dave,
    Looks great. What floats are going on this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I see where you're going with that. Actually the carb stop is the limiter and there's a little more movement to the throttle both fore and aft, I made sure of that. I don't think there's enough travel to adjust it that far, it pulls the belcrank about an inch when the door is opened. It's a compromise I know.

A thought: It appears the throttle handle hits the top aft bolt as a stop. What would happen if you provided more clearance there and utilized the stop on the carburetor only? Then when you open the door the throttle handle would have room to move and not increase the rpm.

Sometimes when on floats it is convenient to open the door with the engine still running. And also not want it to speed up above idle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see where you're going with that. Actually the carb stop is the limiter and there's a little more movement to the throttle both fore and aft, I made sure of that. I don't think there's enough travel to adjust it that far, it pulls the belcrank about an inch when the door is opened. It's a compromise I know.
    What would happen if the throttle was further forward closer to the hinge? The arc travel would be less.
    I like your thinking, I'm just seeing issues when on floats.

For floats, it's hard to beat a set of EDO 2000s. Alternatively, a set of Montana 2200 straight floats. They have very similar characteristics. The Montanas have a wider flat deck for walking.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have looked at that image of the throttle and my mind sees a frightening scenario.
    There are ways to mount that throttle to the airframe and not the door which would greatly reduce the chance of throttle being opened by someone who is not used to or properly coached to the needed cautions.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie, elaborate on your idea please. A major requirement for this plane was the ability to have a rear throttle on the left side for 'training' purposes. I could have used a cable that ran under the door frame from the rear and another from the front that connected at some point but that has it's own problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about keeping the same rigging between the throttles but use a push-pull cable from the front throttle to carb? If the cable routing was left with some slack, it seems like there should be enough room for the door to open and close. And, as long as the carb end was anchored correctly, the carb setting won't move.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Attach to airframe then no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    The front throttle fixed to the airframe with the other one on the door.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Not for nothing, but Dave built it. It’s done, it works well. With better ideas perhaps he will make the next one differently, but only if truly a better solution is found.
    So far all the ideas were discussed and hashed about, and this was the answer.

It’s okay to build the way it works best for you.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks Bearhawk Builder thanked for this post
    Likes 40m, kestrel, bcone1381 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ID:	58944
    Still thinking. Did you try placing the connecting rod above the two pivots? That may have moved the handle forward instead of
    opening the throttle when the door is opened.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    If friction lock was on pivot.Handles could move but not changing throttle setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks pretty cool. I’m sure touching it in person and seeing how it works would quiet many questions we have….you can only tell so much from a picture. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thoughts guys, there may be other ways to skin this cat but this made the most sense considering the parameters I was working with. The throttle works perfectly and smoothly with low chance of failure points which was my primary concern.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, 40m, flybynite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	5C782786-4DB3-4BC6-B177-C47DC66B05DB.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	59003
    Still thinking. Did you try placing the connecting rod above the two pivots? That may have moved the handle forward instead of
    opening the throttle when the door is opened.
    Is it awkward to use the throttle if you extended the pivot so it wouldn’t hit the instrument panel, and attached the rear rod whenever you needed it?
    Don’t you just love everyone picking it apart? Once in awhile though you get a good idea out of it.

Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RaisedByWolves; 12-25-2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Picture didn’t upload

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon asked: "Here's a Patrol on floats. Are there any others?

I plan on putting my Patrol on Wip 2100A's but maybe a while before I get a chance to mount them. Have some repairs to complete. I see you have Father Joe's floats. I was interested in where the center balance point was on the Montanna's? The empty center on my plane is very close to the front wing fitting when level.
    Thanks
    Steve W

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRW View Post
    Skywagon asked: "Here's a Patrol on floats. Are there any others?

I plan on putting my Patrol on Wip 2100A's but maybe a while before I get a chance to mount them. Have some repairs to complete. I see you have Father Joe's floats. I was interested in where the center balance point was on the Montanna's? The empty center on my plane is very close to the front wing fitting when level.
    Thanks
    Steve W
    It is step location based upon the average LOADED cg, not empty cg. There is an entire chapter here on seaplanes: "Design for Flying" https://www.amazon.com/Design-Flying.../dp/0070645590
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply.
    The thumb rule that I have used in the past was to locate the step 2-2.5" behind the most used operational C of G. That works for most initial float installs but not all. With experimental floats and aircraft, the center of mass should be checked with the empty C of G when mounting floats. Just sayin for safety concerns. If your weighing the assembly for the first time, then you'll find out. Most installs have flown some initial hours on wheels. They are usually close. If you have a flying aircraft, and the gear is changed over to floats, and you have the center of mass/moment for the aircraft, without the wheel gear and the center of mass/moment of the floats, then you can work back the new weight and balance without having to re weigh the whole assembly.
    I was just curious to see where the center mass was on the Montanna's. They are a long narrow float like the Whip's. I don't have enough parts assembled right now to find the center and was just trying to think of where they would position in relation to the fuse. Your posted picture started the wheels turning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRW View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    The thumb rule that I have used in the past was to locate the step 2-2.5" behind the most used operational C of G. That works for most initial float installs but not all. With experimental floats and aircraft, the center of mass should be checked with the empty C of G when mounting floats. Just sayin for safety concerns. If your weighing the assembly for the first time, then you'll find out. Most installs have flown some initial hours on wheels. They are usually close. If you have a flying aircraft, and the gear is changed over to floats, and you have the center of mass/moment for the aircraft, without the wheel gear and the center of mass/moment of the floats, then you can work back the new weight and balance without having to re weigh the whole assembly.
    I was just curious to see where the center mass was on the Montanna's. They are a long narrow float like the Whip's. I don't have enough parts assembled right now to find the center and was just trying to think of where they would position in relation to the fuse. Your posted picture started the wheels turning!
    Find your average loaded CG both horizontally and vertically. Draw a line 10 degrees aft of plumb from this location. That's where the step is located. Your personal experience can move the step either way some amount. Each airplane's individual characteristics call for different installations.
    The Montana floats are best compared to the EDO 2000s except for more width and their flat decks. The Wips with their squared corners require more considerations for inflight stability.

Try not to fit amphibs too far forward for CG purposes. The weight of the nose gears being in the front is a drawback.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for info: If you use a solid linkage, like the throttle linkage in post #1, the only way that will operate without moving the linkage with door movement, is if the pivot point of the linkage is directly in line with the pivot point of the door hinges.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes cubdriver2, skywagon8a, Hardtailjohn liked this post