• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Superflite 102 from early 2000's

Tx
Hey guys,
I'm putting together a J-3 for my dad. The wings were trashed by mice and are getting recovered. I'd like to paint the fuselage so everything looks somewhat the same. This was covered in 2000 with Superflite 102 fabric IAW Cooper Aviation manual 102 & STC SA8426L finished in butyrate orange yellow.
I can't find anything with that STC number. Any help would be great. I emailed superflite also.

Tom

That is an easy fix. Inspect to make sure the fabric is Ceconite, test the dope with a small spot of rejuvenator, and do a correction: “Aircraft found to be covered with Ceconite process per STC SA 4503 NM.” You will need your IA to file a 337 to correct the record.

You should probably get your IA to supervise you on this project.

That guy is a jerk. He's about useless.

I haven't sprayed butyrate, only patched some stuff, and wanted to topcoat with ranthane, and use some of the left over polyfiber from my last project.

thanks

I have not had problems with non-tautening Butyrate. Multiple coats, and my wood stringers from 1969 are still dead straight.

The downside of any catalyzed urethane is the cyanide. You need a full body suit and external air.

The dope can be sanded and polished to a very shiny finish.

Ranthane shoots of butyrate just fine. Colored butyrate is no different than your build and silver coats except it has pigment in it. Ranthane is approved as a part of the Randolph dope system. That is where it came from before Polyfiber bought it and approved it over Polyfiber. You might check because when I ordered supplies a month or so ago Randthane was not available and they didn't know when it would be because of unavailability of some of the chemicals it uses.

That guy is a jerk. He's about useless.

thanks

Last I heard, he also spent all of his time flying his amphibious cub instead of tending to working on planes.

Any chance you need another 'Dad' to build a plane for?:lol::lol:

What engine are you installing? the 90 hp and 100 hp J-3s are sure fantastic performers.

Last I heard, he also spent all of his time flying his amphibious cub instead of tending to working on planes.

Any chance you need another 'Dad' to build a plane for?:lol::lol:

What engine are you installing? the 90 hp and 100 hp J-3s are sure fantastic performers.

O-200. Had to find a starter for him. I have a good 85-8F core engine that someone needs. It’s got supercub wing tank, front and rear seat, baggage, controls, double groove trim supercub tail feathers and Stewart’s squared off wingtips. New Cleveland wheels and brakes and boosters. Oh and new 1400 edos. Need to find the brace wires for the floats. They are pitted pretty bad. I got a really good deal on it. Sitting in a barn for 20 years. Mice got into the wings and corroded the leading edges pretty bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back