• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fernandez vs Datums skis.

TurboBeaver

Northern Maine
Because many folks have never seen either, I thought some might be interested in seeing a side by side comparison. As you can see they are VERY similar overall
The Fernandez using hydraulic twin pistons, to lift the ski via a hand pump; the Datum's use an electric accuator. The Fernandez has an STC for C-180/185, and was F/A on Cubs. The Datum's like Summits are basically for "Experimentals".
Either of these skis will give you, straight ski performance, but still allow you to land back at the asphalt
runway. Both have their strong points. Hope these pictures
Help clear up anyone wondering what they actually look like! Few different pics of starting to fit them to a 12. And side by side comparison. The Fernandez is attached on both sides of the gear leg with dual swing arms, the Datum is attached via the outside. Datums are in current production.IMG_20211211_091717754.jpgIMG_20211203_145920395.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_091717754.jpg
    IMG_20211211_091717754.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_20211203_145920395.jpg
    IMG_20211203_145920395.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
The newer iteration of the original Fernandez skis (which have been out of production for many years), are called “Rossi Fernandez 8001” skis. They are STCd on Husky and Super Cub. They are the best skis of any type I’ve flown.

935B75BA-134E-40CA-8619-B0AACCDD4126.jpeg

MTV

Attachments

• 935B75BA-134E-40CA-8619-B0AACCDD4126.jpeg
    935B75BA-134E-40CA-8619-B0AACCDD4126.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 147
The Maine Warden Service used Fernandez skis, for nearly 30 years on both C-185's and Super Cubs. Most of the used Fernandez skis that come up for sale in New England were likely owned by the Warden Service. As Mike suggests they are the Cadillac's of wheel skis.
The Datum's are very similar overall, lighter in weight than the Fernandez and shorter from the axle back. That makes them turn in an amazing small radius. Last published prices on Fernandez was $25,000 from Germany.
The Datum's are 25% of that. Here are some installed on our Cub with 6" Javron gear.IMG_20201126_131126.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_131126.jpg
    IMG_20201126_131126.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Comparing wheel skis why not add Airglass GLH3000 to the discussion? Certified, in production and similar design, with more surface area.. wheel up and door closes for good flotation? GLH3000 45lbs ea. vs. Datum 2500 40lbs ea./Datum 3000 58lbs ea.

How well do these skis tolerate freezing slush and snow? Looks like lots of exposed parts but I never used them. Seemed every time I got into that wintry mess the Airglide single beams and tires would get covered well but still function wheel up and down. The brakes would freeze so that took some extra caution returning to pavement.

Gary

Gary,

I got the Rosti Fernandez skis into some significant overflow up on the Black River. No problem at all. I was very impressed.

The other really nice thing about the Rosti Fernandez skis is that you can run 8.50 x 6 tires with them. Lots of ski clearance. I landed gravel runways and a few gravel bars with no concern at all for the ski tails.
And, those skis are LIGHT. Total additional weight: 76 pounds. That's straight ski weight.

MTV

Put my Datums on a few hours ago, for the 11 th. ski season. Experimental. They are holding up great, and appear to be as bulletproof as my cub style gear, a great combo.

Hi, I'm from Italy and I am new here although I have been flying Supercubs for a quarter century... We fly on glaciers in Italy, France and Switzerland at 9-13000' on fresh snow, I have always used the Fernandez 7000 and they are just great, but the REAL weight of the system, with pump and all, is about 90 lbs. I hear there is a German copy made of carbon fiber which is substantially lighter, but it's just experimental. The Rosti Fernandex 8001 should be even better for heavier aircraft like the Husky

Hi, I'm from Italy and I am new here although I have been flying Supercubs for a quarter century... We fly on glaciers in Italy, France and Switzerland at 9-13000' on fresh snow, I have always used the Fernandez 7000 and they are just great, but the REAL weight of the system, with pump and all, is about 90 lbs. I hear there is a German copy made of carbon fiber which is substantially lighter, but it's just experimental. The Rosti Fernandex 8001 should be even better for heavier aircraft like the Husky

The actual weight on certified scales of the Rossi Fernandez skis on my last Husky was 78 pounds. These were certified skis.

MTV

I think our Datum weighed 34lbs each. So they are light. Anyone considering skis should certainly realize parts for
Fernandez skis are pretty much non existent and new Rossi ski don't seam to be available anymore ? So there is no support known of as they have not been contactable for years? Possibly Mike knows something more on them?
Datums are in current production with full Support.......
Quite a few folks are flying them on certified Cub that have an exception on their insurance that insures the skis
As " experimental"; but plane is fully covered. This has nothing to do with the legality with them not being " approved" on the Cub. So they are a wonderful performers
And very reasonable priced considering ANY other option.
We have a nice set of Fernandez coming up for sale this fall. We have ordered another set of new Datums!
E

Back