Thread: Fernandez vs Datums skis.

Post Thanks / Like

Fernandez vs Datums skis.

Because many folks have never seen either, I thought some might be interested in seeing a side by side comparison. As you can see they are VERY similar overall
    The Fernandez using hydraulic twin pistons, to lift the ski via a hand pump; the Datum's use an electric accuator. The Fernandez has an STC for C-180/185, and was F/A on Cubs. The Datum's like Summits are basically for "Experimentals".
    Either of these skis will give you, straight ski performance, but still allow you to land back at the asphalt
    runway. Both have their strong points. Hope these pictures
    Help clear up anyone wondering what they actually look like! Few different pics of starting to fit them to a 12. And side by side comparison. The Fernandez is attached on both sides of the gear leg with dual swing arms, the Datum is attached via the outside. Datums are in current production.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211211_091717754.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	58888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211203_145920395.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	58889
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 12-19-2021 at 06:21 AM.
    Likes NunavutPA-12, cubdriver2, siegel185 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The newer iteration of the original Fernandez skis (which have been out of production for many years), are called “Rossi Fernandez 8001” skis. They are STCd on Husky and Super Cub. They are the best skis of any type I’ve flown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	935B75BA-134E-40CA-8619-B0AACCDD4126.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	58891

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    The Maine Warden Service used Fernandez skis, for nearly 30 years on both C-185's and Super Cubs. Most of the used Fernandez skis that come up for sale in New England were likely owned by the Warden Service. As Mike suggests they are the Cadillac's of wheel skis.
    The Datum's are very similar overall, lighter in weight than the Fernandez and shorter from the axle back. That makes them turn in an amazing small radius. Last published prices on Fernandez was $25,000 from Germany.
    The Datum's are 25% of that. Here are some installed on our Cub with 6" Javron gear.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201126_131126.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	58895
    Last edited by TurboBeaver; 12-19-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes Eferr, Olibuilt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my Datums for six years now. I like them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0581.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	58896
    Likes jrussl, TurboBeaver, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Comparing wheel skis why not add Airglass GLH3000 to the discussion? Certified, in production and similar design, with more surface area.. wheel up and door closes for good flotation? GLH3000 45lbs ea. vs. Datum 2500 40lbs ea./Datum 3000 58lbs ea.

Post Thanks / Like
    How well do these skis tolerate freezing slush and snow? Looks like lots of exposed parts but I never used them. Seemed every time I got into that wintry mess the Airglide single beams and tires would get covered well but still function wheel up and down. The brakes would freeze so that took some extra caution returning to pavement.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,

I got the Rosti Fernandez skis into some significant overflow up on the Black River. No problem at all. I was very impressed.

The other really nice thing about the Rosti Fernandez skis is that you can run 8.50 x 6 tires with them. Lots of ski clearance. I landed gravel runways and a few gravel bars with no concern at all for the ski tails.
    And, those skis are LIGHT. Total additional weight: 76 pounds. That's straight ski weight.

MTV
    Thanks BC12D-4-85 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Put my Datums on a few hours ago, for the 11 th. ski season. Experimental. They are holding up great, and appear to be as bulletproof as my cub style gear, a great combo.
    Likes TurboBeaver, NunavutPA-12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm from Italy and I am new here although I have been flying Supercubs for a quarter century... We fly on glaciers in Italy, France and Switzerland at 9-13000' on fresh snow, I have always used the Fernandez 7000 and they are just great, but the REAL weight of the system, with pump and all, is about 90 lbs. I hear there is a German copy made of carbon fiber which is substantially lighter, but it's just experimental. The Rosti Fernandex 8001 should be even better for heavier aircraft like the Husky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luigi a View Post
    Hi, I'm from Italy and I am new here although I have been flying Supercubs for a quarter century... We fly on glaciers in Italy, France and Switzerland at 9-13000' on fresh snow, I have always used the Fernandez 7000 and they are just great, but the REAL weight of the system, with pump and all, is about 90 lbs. I hear there is a German copy made of carbon fiber which is substantially lighter, but it's just experimental. The Rosti Fernandex 8001 should be even better for heavier aircraft like the Husky
    The actual weight on certified scales of the Rossi Fernandez skis on my last Husky was 78 pounds. These were certified skis.

MTV