• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tailwheel Stand

NoFlaps

FRIEND
Image1639794610.435992.jpg

I’m overhauling the C90 in my Supercub. When I did the alternator conversion and exhaust overhaul this summer I used this tail stand. It’s currently with another project on the field.

Before I take measurements and find scrap lumber, are there any other more suitable designs for this simple, yet very useful tool?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1639794610.435992.jpg
    Image1639794610.435992.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 140
My neighbor has a steel drum on what appears to be a trash can dolly. To top it off there is a steel bowl mounted on a vertically adjustable allthread mounted to the drum. It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, that the tailwheel sits in the bowl. The tailwheel can also be strapped to the bowl via cargo straps. The getup is a bit Rube Goldberg but it lends to the mobility of the plane if the mains are on dollys. Overall it looks like the Stanley Cup on casters.
OIP.jpeg-2.jpg

Attachments

• OIP.jpeg-2.jpg
    OIP.jpeg-2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 104
Pull the tail wheel and an engine cherry picker 3" box channel will fit right where the wheel was, Jack it up to the perfect height.

Why not a ceiling mounted hoist? I use the rear fuselage handles I have on both sides as pick points, and a cheap rope block and tackle. Not only does it get the engine down lower but it also frees up the tail for working on. Should be able to rig a hardpoint for a light hoist in about any hangar, not a lot of weight.

Should be able to rig a hardpoint for a light hoist in about any hangar, not a lot of weight.

Attaching anything to any part of the hangar structure is grounds for eviction at my base airport. No screws in the walls and nothing suspended from the roof structure. My 3,000 pound engine hoist is quite useful and does not incur the wrath of the hangar police.

Have used collapsible work stands like this. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-Alu...F3hV1Tr2fhicPoA_qDEaAnfSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Also used 55 gallon drums and a wing jack. Saw this in New Mexico and was always gonna build one but haven't yet.
View attachment 58811

View attachment 58812

I built one for my brother last month. Works stupid slick! Took a couple hours with materials I had laying around (with the exception of the wheels, he bought those). We have used it on his 170B and my pacer and I will be building more of them real soon!

Attaching anything to any part of the hangar structure is grounds for eviction at my base airport. No screws in the walls and nothing suspended from the roof structure. My 3,000 pound engine hoist is quite useful and does not incur the wrath of the hangar police.

Good reason, never thought of that, hangar police!

I was just envisioning holding up my tail high enough while also positioning the drum at the same time, seemed a bit awkward. Drum or hoist, I like how the plane just looks better in the hangar when it's at a flying attitude. I believe the origin of the term "hangar" is from the WW1 era, and planes were literally hung to conserve space. I'm putting on my tail ski shortly.....

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_094530256.jpg
    IMG_20211218_094530256.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 101
I believe the origin of the term "hangar" is from the WW1 era, and planes were literally hung to conserve space.

It comes from a French word hanghart. It just means a big storage shed. Lots of aviation words came from French as they were an early 'world power' in aviation.

Web

Free at most electrical supply stores when empty of wire. Rolls around. Hole in center holds tailwheel. Makes for a nice table and flower planter. I keep one under my plane's tail when parked to keep water from settling back there.

Gary

Attachments

• Wooden-spool-DIY-ideas-27.jpg
    Wooden-spool-DIY-ideas-27.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 90
Screenshot_20211219-150214.png hi

I built this years ago, works great

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211219-150214.png
    Screenshot_20211219-150214.png
    320 KB · Views: 115
I hung my EX-3 from the chain hoist just last week to rig the wings. It felt very secure there. It was easy to run a strap around the tail wheel mount since the horizontals are not on yet.

Thank you all, by the way, for all your tips on rigging wings!

John

Back