Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Spinner options for 180HP - Carbon Fiber?

Post Thanks / Like

Spinner options for 180HP - Carbon Fiber?

Iím working on a 180HP with the standard Univair spinner backplate and spinner bulkhead and as normal one of the backplate brackets broke and the forward spinner bulkhead also cracked. While we are fooling with this I just wanted to see if there are any options out there for replacing the spinner assembly all together with a carbon fiber assembly or a better option. It seems this is a recurring theme with these spinners. Iím not sure how many I have seen broken and cracked. Is there a foolproof way to keep these from cracking?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5871.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	58805

Name:	IMG_5870.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	58806

Name:	IMG_5872.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	58804
    Last edited by Grant; 12-17-2021 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If exp,
    Catto sells a carbon fiber spinner.
    They’ve eliminated the conventional front bulkhead by indexing the spinner off the hole in the prop.
    But you’re still dealing with rear aluminum bulkhead.
    not cheap ($600 ?) and require fitting, which can be a tedious process.
    Not sure how durable over time.

Some other options out there too, but I think stock alum spinner assy is as tough as any, you’d do well to get 2000 hrs out of one, Once they start cracking, evidence that the aluminum has work hardend to a brittle state, they’re used up and beyond repair. Time to replace.
    Spinners lead a tough life,
    Likes stid2677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a shot of Catto’s innovative self centering design.
    requires a 2.25” crush plate hole

Name:	56CB83F7-1A80-4379-B7FB-F9A48257E440.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	58798

Post Thanks / Like
    It's Standard Category. Anybody have a suggestion to keep them from cracking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Grant. I replaces my spinner a few years ago. Got rid of all the cracked Univair stuff. No spacer. Itís awesome and have had no trouble. Have more room behind the prop to the front cowl. Iíll go look in logs what it was, canít remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome - Thats what I'm looking for.

Thanks Steve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Grant, Sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grant, I don't have the numbers handy but I do know there are different part numbers for the 180 spinner assembly vs. the 150 assembly. Pierce has them. My spinner is between 3500 to 4000 hrs with one broken backingplate fastener.
    http://thrustline.com/

Takeoffs are optional--Landings are mandatory

Post Thanks / Like
    good info - thanks Mark!

Maybe Mr. Pierce can see if the part numbers in the images are correct.

Thanks Everyone. This is a great looking Supercub and the owner just wants it right. I know these tend to crack alot and I want to make sure if we replace it that it will last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind when the fit is not perfect, stresses are built up which cause cracking after a period of time. The spinner must fit snug (not forced) to it's backing plates with the screw holes lined up perfectly. If not, when the screws are tightened they will introduce the stresses. With an item such as a spinner whipping around on a spinning propeller, stresses are always present. For comparison consider the moon rotating around the earth. What does the water in the oceans do? It rises and falls creating tides following the moon. This is what the imperfect fit of a spinner does with the loads passing through the screws pulling on the backing plates, bending and cracking.

Carbon fiber or fiberglass is more resilient to cracking than is aluminum so can accommodate a less perfect fit.

Consider shims to improve a fit.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I’m working on a 180HP with the standard Univair spinner backplate and spinner bulkhead and as normal one of the backplate brackets broke and the forward spinner bulkhead also cracked. While we are fooling with this I just wanted to see if there are any options out there for replacing the spinner assembly all together with a carbon fiber assembly or a better option. It seems this is a recurring theme with these spinners. I’m not sure how many I have seen broken and cracked. Is there a foolproof way to keep these from cracking?
    I think the only truly foolproof way is to take it off. Otherwise How about a dynamic prop balance in addition to what Skywagon said?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a company in Salt Lake or there abouts that make carbon fiber backing plates etc that are for Cherokees that are the same part numbers as the Super Cub. $2800 if memory serves me correctly. If running the 1A200 use the Pawnee spinner and backing plate. Backing plate is heavier material.

If it were me I would get the ground adjustable Sensenich and be done with it and loose 25 lbs off the nose and have a carbon fiber spinner.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes skywagon8a, Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With the 1A200 McCauley prop you need:
    64310-000 Rear Backing Plate https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...er-back-plate/
    64309-000 Front Backing Plate this one is thicker than the standard one and less prone to cracking. https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...r-front-plate/
    64336-000 Spinner https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...-spinner-dome/
    Spinner and backing plate assemly is https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...lete-assembly/

--
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    There is a company in Salt Lake or there abouts that make carbon fiber backing plates etc that are for Cherokees that are the same part numbers as the Super Cub. $2800 if memory serves me correctly. If running the 1A200 use the Pawnee spinner and backing plate. Backing plate is heavier material.

If it were me I would get the ground adjustable Sensenich and be done with it and loose 25 lbs off the nose and have a carbon fiber spinner.
    TCB composites. Thatís what I have. For 9 years now and no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk